Reload this Page >

Has Fox abandoned the Digipack?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-19-05, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to pick up The Shield: Season 3 the other day, and was shocked to find that it wasn't the very nice digipack that Season 1-2 were. I am a personal that is huge on continuity. I did not like the individual cases that each disc gets. Has Fox decided to not use any more digipacks for any TV show? This made me think of 24, and if they plan on keeping with the style of packaging or going with "The Shield: Season 3" style(God, please NO!!!). Any news or ideas would be great
Old 03-19-05, 05:33 PM

I hope and pray that the Digipack style case is gone for good!

That was one of the worst packaging ideas ever created.
I can't tell you how many sets of Fox TV seasons I would have to open to get one that didn't have loose or scratched discs inside. Ordering sets online was even worse. You never knew what you would find when you unfolded the sets.
It was a nightmare. Not to mention the cheap plastic holders that sometimes break and then you're screwed. Or the cheap cardboard spines.
I hated Digipacks! I called Fox all the time to complain about the quality issues.
I love the slim line cases. I've only had a problem once since they started using these.
Long live the slim line cases!!!
Old 03-19-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm one of those very few who don't mind digipacks.

I had hoped that Fox would have come out with a Predator collection (Ala X-Men collection) with the recent SE's for the 2 movies. Aw well.
Old 03-19-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fox dropped the digipak for TV seasons boxsets in the UK a while ago. They replaced them with M-Lock plastic cases which I absolutely love. They are very sturdy, protect and hold the disks extremely well and save a lot on shelf space. They are basically like a huge Amaray case, which have multiple disk trays inside, so it's like a book. You can fit an entire season in one case
Old 03-19-05, 06:16 PM
Banned

Wonderful, so it looks like 24: Season 4 when its released 4th Quarter of '05 will have this type of packaging.Am I correct in thinking this way?
Old 03-19-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
Hope The Simpsons packaging doesn't change...
Old 03-19-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they're gone forever from all studios
Old 03-19-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dalvin
Wonderful, so it looks like 24: Season 4 when its released 4th Quarter of '05 will have this type of packaging.Am I correct in thinking this way?
I hope not, as I want them to match.
Old 03-19-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artman
Hope The Simpsons packaging doesn't change...
The Simpsons is proof that they haven't completely abandoned the digipack casing.
Old 03-19-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't agree with the opinions that digipacks were a bad idea. The digipacks are a great idea! But what makes ME hate digipacks so damn much, is the fact that as already said... discs constantly are found to be loose and scratched. The idea was great, but it wasn't pulled off that great...
Old 03-19-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
I can't recall a loose or scratched disc in a digipack, but I just can't stand how the paper wears out so quickly. And I am very careful with my DVDs.
Old 03-19-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm impartial when it comes to digipacks. I think they can be done nicely, but when it gets to too many discs (5+), then they become slightly unwieldy, and I'd prefer a different setup. If Fox is phasing out digipack releases, I hope they continue their sets that have been using them (Simpsons, 24) for continuity. It kinda ticked me off when the 3rd Harry Potter was in a double amaray instead of the digipack like the first two.
Old 03-19-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'm impartial when it comes to digipacks. I think they can be done nicely, but when it gets to too many discs (5+), then they become slightly unwieldy, and I'd prefer a different setup. If Fox is phasing out digipack releases, I hope they continue their sets that have been using them (Simpsons, 24) for continuity. It kinda ticked me off when the 3rd Harry Potter was in a double amaray instead of the digipack like the first two.
Call me crazy, but I was more annoyed that they didn't reissue the first two in Amarays when they released Prisoner of Azkaban. I have plenty of relatives that wouldn't have minded my old digipack ones.
Old 03-19-05, 10:12 PM

futurama had the small nek-paks?
but it was always a really unique case.
Just DO NOT change simpsons or 24
Old 03-19-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to agree to go against the digipack crowd. Although I like continuity in design as well, the slim cases are much safer when it comes to disc protection then the digis. This is even more evident since I purchase 99% of my DVDs online, and to hear the rattler inside a new TV on DVD set just breaks my heart (and has happened more then once).

Although the digipack packaging just "looks cooler" in general, I have to side with the slim cases for the sole purpose of long term disc protection.
Old 03-19-05, 11:52 PM

Well if we are all about not changing packaging then I want back the CD cases with the cardboard slipcovers over them to make them look like a standard DVD case...

Come on guys, obviously Fox & others were losing money on returns due to bad discs from the great packaging. They didn't change it to mess up your collections. Things change as time goes on and you just have to make due. If the mini-cases look bad to you, just turn it the other way and it'll look the same as the others.

FYI, Married With Children Season 3 was digi-pack style too.
Old 03-20-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really like the Digipack style, but it isn't my favorit. I prefier to the two disk ultra-slim cases (like tru calling & wonderfalls) or the book formate (like Gilmore Girls & Smallville)
Old 03-20-05, 01:45 AM

I don't mind the digipacks but I like the new style they've been using a lot better. With the digipacks it's a hassle to get to a disk. I don't have a 5 foot long table where my dvds are so it's a hassle to unfold them.
Old 03-20-05, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sanitarium
I don't mind the digipacks but I like the new style they've been using a lot better. With the digipacks it's a hassle to get to a disk. I don't have a 5 foot long table where my dvds are so it's a hassle to unfold them.
or a 10 foot table for Alien Quad
Old 03-20-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the cases that are used for Seinfeld and Family Guy. In my opinion, those are the most convient cases. I absolutely hate the way Band of Brothers is packaged. You have to open up the accordian of DVDs just to get to disc 1.
Old 03-20-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
As was said previously, as long as the Simpsons remains the same, i'll be happy. I love the look and design, and don't care about them folding out. It doesn't take anymore effort to fold over 2 flaps to get to the disc i want.
Old 03-20-05, 09:00 PM

I have mixed views. I too have all the Shield sets, and was dissapointed with the third. The first two are gorgeous with their coloring, artwork, and the way the layout is. It allows for more creativity if they play their cards right. Season 3 also didn't get a booklet like the first two did. The booklet was a great little extra.

On the other hand, digipacks CAN be a pain. It depends on how they're done, I suppose. Smallvilles are made like this, but not where the fold out; instead they are like a book. It's great for design but I had problems with the first season. The box looks in bad shape from me doing a marathon watching the movies with a friend. It shows wear and tear on the creases when there shouldn't be that much. Also, the entire plastic thing obviously wasn't stable as it fell apart on the first day, the second time I opened the damn thing!

So I have mixed thoughts on it, I guess
Old 03-21-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just joined. Awesome to be here. Love this forum.

Might be in the minority here, but I really dig the Digipak style packaging. Always have. Seems like a fancier way of presenting a DVD than the standard Amaray case, especially when the DVD is a "special edition" release. However, that said, I don't know how Digipak is for the long term. I can see how it could show wear and tear faster than Amaray.

Only packaging I don't like in the slightest is the ultra slim design, such as that used for the Friday the 13th box set. (I don't have that, but I've seen it around.) Looks much too flimsy. And rather ugly, in my opinion. Never actually handled them, but I know how they look to me, and I know what I think of slim cases for CDs, too.

Easily the best is the standard Amaray case. But even the quality of those varies. The kind used for the Star Wars Trilogy and the current release of The Day After Tomorrow feels cheap. Lower grade plastic perhaps. But those used for the Star Wars prequels and the Matrix sequels are good and solid. I wish those were the only style of Amaray case available.

--THX
Old 03-21-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the most compact packaging I have seen is for the Star Trek Original Series - the holder containing the 8 discs is very small, the larger outer shell is odd-looking but quite protective. The holders themselves are tight and require a little finesse to remove the discs without flexing - and it is definitely a 2-hander.

At first I didn't like it, but it has grown on me - and it should be very durable, as long as you don't drop the disc holders themselves while handling.
Old 03-21-05, 02:37 AM
Suspended

Personally i prefer packaging like the Alias Season one dvds.. Why cant they all do it like that! 2 disks per keepcase.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.