Project Greenlight Season 3 debuts 03/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-08-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Season three of Project: Greenlight a go

From a Bravo press release:

MIRAMAX TELEVISION, BRAVO AND LIVEPLANET SET TO MOVE FORWARD ON 'PROJECT GREENLIGHT'

BRAVO TO AIR NINE NEW EPISODES OF THE EMMY NOMINATED SERIES THAT WILL SEE LIVEPLANET AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS MATT DAMON, BEN AFFLECK AND CHRIS MOORE RETURNING FOR A THIRD SEASON WITH A REFINED FOCUS

Miramax Television has joined forces with Bravo for a new season of "Project Greenlight," the Emmy nominated filmmaking contest, feature film and warts-and-all behind-the-scenes filmmaking documentary TV series that chronicles the challenges of first-time-writers and directors given the opportunity of a lifetime. For the show's third season, partners LivePlanet and Miramax are hopeful they will be able to create a series and a film that will revolve around a genre script such as horror or thriller (The past two season's films were based on coming of age stories). The agreement with Bravo, which calls for nine, one-hour episodes to air on the network, was announced today by Miramax Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein and Bravo President Jeff Gaspin.

"'Project Greenlight' has tapped into this country's appetite for wanting to know how a film gets made, with all of the ups and downs that are a regular part of the process and thus we want to continue to bring this compelling series to audiences," said Harvey Weinstein. "Once it was decided to move the show to a network with a broader household reach, Bravo became a clear choice. We are proud to add 'Greenlight' to our wide-ranging relationship with Bravo as we have seen what they have done to create a groundswell for some of their other series and we are confident they will be able to help us create similar interest in this series as well. The potential of a horror or thriller film is a great way to infuse a new angle into the show, just as we did last year by separating the screenwriter from the directors."

"We're thrilled to be partnered with Miramax and producers Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Chris Moore on the next installment of `Project Greenlight,'" said Gaspin. "We have long admired Miramax's contribution to film and television, and this show represents our companies desire to offer viewers risk-taking and exciting programming. This glimpse into the creative process of filmmaking is a perfect fit for our brand and we're thrilled with the prospect of providing 'Project Greenlight' the kind of elevated platform it deserves on Bravo, as well as adding a new twist by focusing on a genre film."

"Project Greenlight" contest rules and dates will be announced shortly. Plans call for the contest winners to be selected by mid 2004 and the film is anticipated to begin production in late summer/early fall of the same year. The series is slated to begin airing on Bravo in early 2005. For more information interested contestants can log on to www.projectgreenlight.com or www.bravotv.com.

Last season's "Project Greenlight" confirmed the public's appetite to be behind the scenes on a film production by demonstrating an increase in its viewing audience by twenty percent from the show's initial season in 2002. Additionally, the series' producers have been recognized by the Producers Guild of America as nominees for the organization's 2004 Producer of the Year Award in the category of best Reality, Game and Information series.

"Project Greenlight" is executive produced for Miramax Television by Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Moore and Sean Bailey of LivePlanet along with Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz of Magical Elves. William Morris is packaging the series. The agreement for Bravo and "Project Greenlight" was negotiated on behalf of Miramax by Bob Osher, co-president of production, and Alan Duke, executive vice president of business affairs, TV & home video, and for Bravo by Mitch Salem. The series will be overseen for Miramax by Eli Holzman, vice president of television. Executive producers for Bravo are Frances Berwick and Jamila Hunter.
Neat to hear that they may churn out a horror flick.
Old 01-08-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too bad that miramaxe doesnt' do anything with the movie since it only comes out in 5 theaters.
Old 01-08-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Too bad that miramaxe doesnt' do anything with the movie since it only comes out in 5 theaters.
And then (for season 2) dump it onto DVD without including the actual Project Greenlight episodes to accompany it.

I realize that the sales for S1 weren't great, but still...
Old 01-08-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool
Old 01-08-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Damn, I guess we won't be hearing the profanity that made season 1 and 2 so enjoyable.
Old 01-08-04, 06:21 PM

I thought both seasons were nice hits for HBO. Why aren't they picking up the third?
Old 01-08-04, 08:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. May have to do some rewrites and re-enter my script again. Or maybe I'll write a new one. Anyway, great news!
Old 01-09-04, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Timber
Damn, I guess we won't be hearing the profanity that made season 1 and 2 so enjoyable.
I was thinking the same thing, but I remember when Bravo aired The Larry Sanders show, they left most of the cursing in. I think all that was taken out was the "F" word. Hopefully they'll do the same with Greenlight.

One cool thing about Bravo is that, like HBO, if you miss the show on Sunday, you can catch it about 25 other times the rest of the week.
Old 01-10-04, 01:11 AM
Suspended

DAMMIT!! I loved both seasons of PG and I don't get Bravo so i'm SOL for the 3rd.
Old 01-11-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A show I've been eager to see return!

Bravo presents an all-new third season of Project Greenlight, the acclaimed reality hit created and produced by Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Chris Moore which gives amateur screenwriters and directors the chance to compete to make an original film together. Dimension Films finances production of the film with a minimum $1 million production budget, and distributes it. Project Greenlight shows the entire filmmaking process, from the selection of the script, through production and editing, to the film's release. For its third season, partners LivePlanet and Miramax are creating a series and a film that will focus on a horror genre script.
Spoiler:
Horror guru Wes Craven has joined on to produce the winning film titled “Feast” with first time director John Gulager, working from the winning script by screenwriters Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan. Panel to include:
Chris Moore, executive producer
Marcus Dunstan, screenwriter (Feast)
Patrick Melton, screenwriter, (Feast)
John Gulager, director, (Feast)
Balthazar Getty, actor (Feast)
Link

The spoiler gives info on the movie title, winning writer, director, and an actor.

Can't wait. Hopefully, this time around the movie is actually good and makes some money.
Old 01-11-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thank god it's not another feel-good coming-of-age movie! Although a low budget horror movie could be really cheesy. I guess this time instead of trying to reproduce Stand By Me, the target is the Blair Witch Project.
Old 01-11-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's hoping for a lot of Clu Gulager appearances on the series.
Old 01-11-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Thank god it's not another feel-good coming-of-age movie! Although a low budget horror movie could be really cheesy. I guess this time instead of trying to reproduce Stand By Me, the target is the Blair Witch Project.
There's a lot of difference between a $1 million horror movie and The Blair Witch Project's $40K-or-so budget.
Old 01-11-05, 04:56 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I had a script in PGL3, which actually made it to the top 100 round. I actually had to send in a video to the Live Planet crew about why I should be picked and pitch my script. I'm hoping maybe I'll appear in the 'rejects' section of the premiere.

For the record, they specifically mentioned the horror and thriller genre in the contest announcement, so it was pretty clear from the get-go they would be picking something is this area. It makes sense, considering they could actually make a small profit with this genre... one where expensive star power isn't always a factor in success.
Old 01-11-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't this have the same feel has that horror film that Dawson Leery was working o with Oliver in the final seasons of Dawson's Creek?
Old 01-11-05, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BigDan
There's a lot of difference between a $1 million horror movie and The Blair Witch Project's $40K-or-so budget.
Yeah, well, I'm confidient that the PGL folks will screw the pooch no matter what the budget.

Having watched both PGL 1 & 2 on HBO I think the premise of the series is inherently flawed. The goal is to produce a decent movie with a relatively small budget and a completely unknown writer and director. Movies made under a very small budget thrive when a visonary director is able to to have complete control over the creative aspects of the movie (Clerks, Blair Witch, etc). Movies made with larger budgets do have more producer oversight. However the director usually has experience with the system and the producers have a level of trust in his judgement. Also the director and writer are more accustom to standing firm on important issues.

PGL takes the worst from both. It couples an unknown, untrusted, inexperienced writer and director with a large enough budget to require producer meddling. The result is a movie that is driven by committee and stripped of whatever originality the script once may have had. This process creates movies that more closely resemble an after-school special.
Old 01-12-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
PGL takes the worst from both. It couples an unknown, untrusted, inexperienced writer and director with a large enough budget to require producer meddling. The result is a movie that is driven by committee and stripped of whatever originality the script once may have had. This process creates movies that more closely resemble an after-school special.
Even though I agree with you 100%, it still makes for fun television.
Old 03-14-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump for reminder: new season starts tomorrow!
Old 03-14-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tuesdays at 9 (vs Scrubs and House)? No.

Episode Replayed at 11 every week? YES!!!!

http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/sear...ht&start=today
Old 03-14-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I had a script in PGL3, which actually made it to the top 100 round. I actually had to send in a video to the Live Planet crew about why I should be picked and pitch my script. I'm hoping maybe I'll appear in the 'rejects' section of the premiere.
Hey...let us know some more about it so we can look for ya! (title submitted, a first name, etc)

I missed the first season, but really enjoyed the second. Looking forward to this one. Gonna TIVO it to avoid the aforementioned conflicts.
Old 03-14-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had sworn this show off after the last season but once I heard it was a horror flick this time, I decided to give it one more shot. Lets hope the series and film that it produces are both entertaining and worth watching (Yeah Right!)
Old 03-14-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would expect the winner this year would have more savvy than the previous winners. The guy must've grown up within the industry having two working actors for parents and all.

Of course, to me, that sort of goes against what Project Greenlight was all about.
Old 03-14-05, 05:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BassDude
Hey...let us know some more about it so we can look for ya! (title submitted, a first name, etc)

I missed the first season, but really enjoyed the second. Looking forward to this one. Gonna TIVO it to avoid the aforementioned conflicts.
The script was titled "History of Violence". I doubt they'll actually have my name up there, since I didn't make it to the top 5 (which was the next cut off point). But I did have to send in a 3 minute tape of myself explaining to the guys why they should pick my script. So maybe the tape was cheesy enough to make the reject montage, I don't know. I'll watch tonight and tell you guys if I see myself or catch a reference to my script.
Old 03-14-05, 06:33 PM

Loved the first 2 seasons. Can't wait. Wonder what the movie is about?
Old 03-15-05, 12:14 AM

I think I actually read the winning script in the contest. But then again, I had read so many, that they kind of all mesh together. All I'll say is think about "From Dusk Till Dawn" without Vampires.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.