Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Passion Recut crashes and burns on Friday

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-12-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only made 73 dollars per theater on Friday, according to BoxOfficeMojo.
Old 03-12-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's like.. why go out and pay for the same thing six minutes less than what we have on the shelf?
Old 03-12-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah, once you know it ends (the devil did it), it kind of loses its luster.

This would make a good headline, though:

"CHRIST REBUFFED DURING SECOND COMING"
Old 03-12-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For what it's worth, I didn't see any TV promotion for this, nor did I see any promotion in my Church, which last year organized bus trips to go see the film. I could see this being an Easter tradition, but I wonder if the harsher version might be what we'd see in the future.
Old 03-12-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well with a unrated tag, it was going to have a harder time getting tv air time and general promotional options and any sort of mass theater count.
Old 03-12-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
This has gotten zero promotion, so it's no surprise it's not doing well.
Old 03-12-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I never even knew it came out....is it still gonna play until Easter?
Old 03-12-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, not much of a suprise. The people I knew who were excited about the movie when it originally came out didn't even know anything about this re-release. The only ad I saw was the one I downloaded. I had forgotten it was even coming out this weekend.
Old 03-12-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll bet it does "ok" on easter weekend (March 25-27) but that's about it.
Old 03-12-05, 10:30 PM
Banned

Who in their right mind would pay to see this who hasn't seen it last year or own it on dvd? Was this cut version for the liberals who's excuse for not seeing it last year because it was too violent, but went to see KILL BILL vol.2?
Old 03-12-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
It's for the people who apparently refuse to believe that their saviour went through any sort of torture whatsoever. They seem to think that the guards took turn slapping Jesus, put a chain of daisies on his head, and simply tied him to the cross with comfortable cotton rope. These same people probably also think that what happens on the news isn't real or doesn't affect their lives, as long as it isn't happening within 5 miles of their own home.
Old 03-12-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Mel's too worried about those numbers.
Old 03-12-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was this cut version for the liberals who's excuse for not seeing it last year because it was too violent, but went to see KILL BILL vol.2?
Nice thread crap!

[And as a liberal, I disliked The Passion... well, with a passion... and it wasn't for the violence...]

[Oh, and Kill Bill: Volume Two had less violence than Passion.]
Old 03-12-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Who in their right mind would pay to see this who hasn't seen it last year or own it on dvd? Was this cut version for the liberals who's excuse for not seeing it last year because it was too violent, but went to see KILL BILL vol.2?

Boy you must have your info mixed up

Kill Bill VOL TWO is nowhere nearly as violent OR gruesome as all of The Passion. In fact,KB v2 is more 'family friendly'(in terms of little graphic violence/intensity) than The Passion.

..also I doubt any 'liberals' were 'refusing' to see the film based on the graphic nature. In fact,the opposite is true,since many conservatives(which I know and have read about) who while deeply conservatite/religious didn't want to see it because it was 'too violent/graphic' they were told. They are usually the ones living in a fantasy land of bad grisly things not existing. So of course they don't want a realistic version of a cruicifixtion and would prefer to live their sheltered lives sheilded from such imagery.

So before you decide to bash liberals and laughably try to make them look bad by going to a far lesser violent film,you should umm do some research

I may check out the new recut for the hell of it,just to see what it is like and how it was altered.

Oh and yes I liked the original version and am gasp a liberal too

..and regarding the advertising. I have'nt seen any at all either. So I was'nt aware this was being released until I saw a poster ad in the Friday paper.
Old 03-13-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it did beat out Constantine's $48 per theatre...
Old 03-13-05, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually did see a few tv spots for it this past week, and a movie poster that said "THE PASSION RECUT" at the movie theater on Tuesday evening. Some promotion, but very very little. I guess they assumed that word of mouth would spread, but well...this is a movie that everyone saw LAST YEAR. They can buy the original film on DVD for the cost of 2 theater tickets.
Old 03-13-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen TV ads and there have been quite large display ads running in the newspapers. Although I'm sure a fortune is not being spent on advertising this time around, with what the film is bringing in I suspect this rerelease will end up in the red. Mel may lose a tenth of a percent of what he made on the first release.
Old 03-13-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wonder who ordered Constantine to be shown on 21,000 screens in it's 4th week...
Old 03-13-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe for Christmas he can give it a 3rd release in a new expanded NC-17 cut with the tagline "If you think you have seen Christ suffer, Think Again!".
Old 03-13-05, 11:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

$240,000 for the weekend. It goes from being a total fireworks display in 2004 to one of the biggest misfires of 2005.

Wow.
Old 03-13-05, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Nature Boy
For what it's worth, I didn't see any TV promotion for this, nor did I see any promotion in my Church, which last year organized bus trips to go see the film. I could see this being an Easter tradition, but I wonder if the harsher version might be what we'd see in the future.
Flipping through the Christian stations on cable, I saw Gibson pop up quite a bit.
Old 03-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Assuming those numbers hold up, Box Office Mojo's prediction is off by 1150%.

That is, the prediction was 1150% higher than the box office. The box office was 8% of the prediction. I suspect they'll calll their error 92%.

Last edited by movielib; 03-13-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bugg
Maybe for Christmas he can give it a 3rd release in a new expanded NC-17 cut with the tagline "If you think you have seen Christ suffer, Think Again!".
hahahahahahahaha

Nice tagline

Though in all seriousness,I think this proves the hypocrisy of the MPAA right here...

If they had rated The Passion as strongly/'concern' and 'fair' as they rate other films. This new 'softened' version would be R rated,while the original uncut gruesome version would be NC-17. But nope,somehow the uncut version is R rated worthy(& so is the cut version). Meanwhile far tamer,less intense and less graphic films are given NC-17's too easily. So in my opinion,they should just abolish the NC-17 and leave R high enough. Afterall,once The Passion with it's extreme graphic violence gets through intact with an R rating. The line between R & NC-17 is nonexistent since where do we draw the line now?

In fact,for the hypocrites who usually decry graphic violence in film,but were aok with The Passion. I wish Mel would have added a flashback sequence showing Monica Belluci's charecter 'sinning' in an orgy of debauchery. I can just see the parents now,forcing their kids to "cover your eyes,that is naughty evil vile revolting sinnful stuff!"..and then for the graphic violence and gore "Open your eyes,WATCH,he died for YOUR sins,this is important...don't shut your eyes or you are grounded and going to hell!"

Originally Posted by scott shelton
$240,000 for the weekend. It goes from being a total fireworks display in 2004 to one of the biggest misfires of 2005.

Wow.
In all fairness,the film cost 25 million to make(not sure how much the ad promotion was,since the controversy sold the film more than anything and I don't recall seeing many ads when it was first released)..and it made hundreds of millions of dollers.

So it does'nt matter if this new cut makes far less,since they already made more than enough money off the film(made the budget back + aton of profit).

If this is a money grab,then Gibson will be crying in the media "Why didn't you see my film,please see it,wahhhhhh". So we'll see what happens. If he starts saying how 'disapointing' the film performed recently. Then it will be obvious he was hoping too make more money.

Yet if he keeps his mouth shut,then it may mean he really was doing it for the more 'senstive' sheltered people out there who stayed away from the film?..or not
Old 03-13-05, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
So it does'nt matter if this new cut makes far less,since they already made more than enough money off the film(made the budget back + aton of profit)
I'm sorry, I thought that was assumed.

I'm not implying that any money will be lost. That's crazy talk.
Old 03-13-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In all fairness,the film cost 25 million to make(not sure how much the ad promotion was,since the controversy sold the film more than anything and I don't recall seeing many ads when it was first released)..and it made hundreds of millions of dollers.
Actually, Gibson put $35 million (not $25 million) of his own money on the line to produce the film. Newmarket put in somewhere around the $20 million range for the film's ad/distrubution budget.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.