Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Alias -- "Echoes" -- 02.23.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-23-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Echoes

Spoiler:
With Nadia's life on the line, Sydney must race to bring down former nemesis Anna Espinosa (Gina Torres). Meanwhile, Vaughn's inner demons surface when, in order to help Sydney save Nadia, he's forced to confront his own former nemesis, the slippery and deadly Mr. Sark (David Anders).

Spoiler:
Sark & Anna are back

Let's hope this one is good.
Old 02-23-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Alias -- "Echoes" -- 02.23.2004

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Let's hope this one is good.
Based on your date, let's hope it's not a repeat.

Old 02-23-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
d'oh!

I can't report my own post, so i'll have to report yours...
Old 02-23-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bring back teh cliffhangers is what I say.
Old 02-23-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Screw Sark and Anna, Rambaldi is back tonight! (at least his plot is)
Old 02-23-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Spoiler:
Screw Sark and Anna, Rambaldi is back tonight! (at least his plot is)
About. Freaking. Time.

I'm not in love with this plot device -- I never was -- but at least it's *something* to keep a continuing story going. It was such a huge focus early on... and now they seem to have just forgotten it existed.
Old 02-23-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Echooooo.
Is anyone still watching?
Let's hope with the returnees, we will get a good episode.
Old 02-23-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
The famous cliff hanger returns.
Old 02-23-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was one damn dark and gritty episode.

Loved the shake-n-bake van ride that Sark got, loved seeing his face smashing into the walls and floor.

The clipping off the finger was pretty gruesome stuff.

Loved the "You mess with a friend of Flinkman, you get Flinkman." line (something like that).

The Anna-Sydney fight had a few good kicks and punches, seemed like old times, for sure.
Old 02-23-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Very good episode. Back to the old days. I love Sark he one of the best characters on the show. I'm really starting to dig Nadia. I suspect she'll be gone by the end of the season so that sucks.
Old 02-23-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nadia might not make it past next episode!

"She can have the blouse." Hahahaha.
Old 02-23-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It was good to see an Alias that returned to what I liked on the previous seasons. I just hope it stays
Old 02-23-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent return to form.

No surprise IMO that this season started out with standalones, and although I, as well as many of you, felt this was a betrayal of sorts to longtime fans, it made logic sense to believe JJ and company would use the beginning of this season to simplify the storyline in an attempt and gain a portion of Lost's audience. This has obviously worked, and with higher ratings now in tow, I certainly hope they realize it's time to return the show to its principle roots (cliffhangers and character driven longterm story-arcs), which is exactly what this show does best.

Last edited by meritocracy; 02-23-05 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 10:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I agree this had more of a feel of previous seasons, which is a good thing.

Liked Weiss and Vaughn's conversation as they were walking into the building about Nadia.
Old 02-23-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Loved the shake-n-bake van ride that Sark got, loved seeing his face smashing into the walls and floor.

The clipping off the finger was pretty gruesome stuff.

Loved the "You mess with a friend of Flinkman, you get Flinkman." line (something like that).

Too bad they didn't kill Anna during the ep and rid us of the horrid-looking Gina Torres.

I loved how they kept the music going as Syd/Anna were going at it in the boutique.

Happy as hell that Sark is back in the game.

Rambaldi? Is that really you? Go figure...And they actually hinted at a few things that occured in the infamous Season 3 a couple of different times (which seems like a first).
Old 02-24-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Bring back teh cliffhangers is what I say.
Hey what do you know, I got my wish!
"She can have the blouse" has got to be one of the best lines in recent memory.
Old 02-24-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, Anna Espinosa, Mr. Sark, Rambaldi, and the cliffhangers all returning in one episode. ABC and J.J. Abrams better not be teasing us. Keep this going, please!
Old 02-24-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Excellent return to form.

No surprise IMO that this season started out with standalones, and although I, as well as many of you, felt this was a betrayal of sorts to longtime fans, it made logic sense to believe JJ and company would use the beginning of this season to simplify the storyline in an attempt and gain a portion of Lost's audience. This has obviously worked, and with higher ratings now in tow, I certainly hope they realize it's time to return the show to its principle roots (cliffhangers and character driven longterm story-arcs), which is exactly what this show does best.
I disagree with this logic. Why, if he's trying to attract LOST viewers, does he feel they'd have a low tolerance for following a "serialized" show [ala Lost]? This show felt like it had a purpose, rather than a seemingly random event episode. Oh, but I thought it was stupid that Jack sent Syd AND Nadia immediately after she was "kidnapped".
Originally Posted by B.A.
Too bad they didn't kill Anna during the ep and rid us of the horrid-looking Gina Torres.

I loved how they kept the music going as Syd/Anna were going at it in the boutique.

Happy as hell that Sark is back in the game.
Hmm...first Tia [Sgt. Cruz from Third Watch], now Gina. I'm beginning to think you have something against chicks with thick lips.

I'm glad Sark is back too. Loved him just sitting in that warehouse sipping on some bubbly. I welcome Anna back too.
Old 02-24-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I disagree with this logic. Why, if he's trying to attract LOST viewers, does he feel they'd have a low tolerance for following a "serialized" show [ala Lost]?
I never meant to imply that JJ feels an audience would have a low tolerance for following a "serialized" show. If anything, Lost proves there's a segment of viewers quite willing to embrace this format. My logic is based upon the reasonable assumption that the studio and JJ believed that providing a few initial standalone episodes without delving too heavily on the Alias mythology, would provide this new audience an easier entry point. Now that they're holding some of Lost's quite large lead-in audience and ratings have substantially improved, there's no time like the present for the show to hit its stride this season by embracing the characteristics that had previously defined it.

Last edited by meritocracy; 02-24-05 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-24-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot to add,--and I know the LOST crowd's gonna come down hard on me for even mentioning this--does anybody else think Sidney's on-the-fly wardrobe/look change was a nod to True Lies? The outfit looked close enough and the way she slicked her hair back with water reminded me of it.
Old 02-24-05, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kal-El
does anybody else think Sidney's on-the-fly wardrobe/look change was a nod to True Lies? The outfit looked close enough and the way she slicked her hair back with water reminded me of it.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. I was waiting for her to primp in front of a mirror before she went up to the guy.
Old 02-24-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally

"You mess with a friend of Finklman, you mess with Finklman"
"She can have the blouse"

Sark
Anna
Cliffhanger

Let's hope this isn't just a two episode deal.
Old 02-24-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Oh, but I thought it was stupid that Jack sent Syd AND Nadia immediately after she was "kidnapped".

Hmm...first Tia [Sgt. Cruz from Third Watch], now Gina. I'm beginning to think you have something against chicks with thick lips.
These are the same people that let Sydney go to Bucharest after she was bitten by that dude a few weeks ago. Oh hell, this has happened several times over the show's run.

Nothing against the women w/ big lips - just something against ugly women that everyone fawns over.
Old 02-24-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

bboisvert

About. Freaking. Time.

I'm not in love with this plot device -- I never was -- but at least it's *something* to keep a continuing story going. It was such a huge focus early on... and now they seem to have just forgotten it existed.
Agreed on both counts. I never liked the Rambaldi stuff either, but at least it's something. I can't believe that watching this show has actually become boring.

das
Old 02-24-05, 09:04 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Great episode last night...about time we had a cliffhanger!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.