Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on this projector

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-12-05, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I was hoping to get some input on the Infocus Screenplay 4805. Shop at home has what seems to be a good deal (check out the link). One thing I don't get is the display is rated at 854X480 yet it says the max is 1024X768 ( saw this at projector central, also linked below). I'll be using it mostly for DVD but may use it for some HDTV in the future. Any input would be great.

http://www.shopathometv.com/shopatho...3&sku=10011793

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...nPlay_4805.htm
Old 02-12-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harpoonipa
Hi all,
I was hoping to get some input on the Infocus Screenplay 4805. Shop at home has what seems to be a good deal (check out the link). One thing I don't get is the display is rated at 854X480 yet it says the max is 1024X768 ( saw this at projector central, also linked below). I'll be using it mostly for DVD but may use it for some HDTV in the future. Any input would be great.

http://www.shopathometv.com/shopatho...3&sku=10011793

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...nPlay_4805.htm

First off, that is a horrible price on this projector since the MSRP was recently lowered to $1299. Don't pay more than $1299, in other words.

Costco had been selling these for $1000 after a $100 rebate a few weeks ago, and that included a free 76" screen.

TV Authority also had, or possibly still has, a similar deal, but you'll have to call them to see if it's still on.

As far as getting more info on the resolution, Projector Central and Home Theater Forum have very good info on this.

Last edited by stevevt; 02-12-05 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-12-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harpoon, I have had one for a few months now and I absolutely LOVE it. Lots of compliments on how crisp the picture is and I went from a 36" tube TV to a 92" screen. I got mine from Crutchfield with a free 76" screen shipped from Infocus. Would be VERY hard to go back to a traditional TV (I dont care what size it is) after experiencing home theater this vivid on a 92" screen
Old 02-12-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stevevt
First off, that is a horrible price on this projector since the MSRP was recently lowered to $1299.
"with 106" Draper Pull Down Screen"

maybe not SO bad with the screen included if it is decent. Seems like mine was $200 or so
Old 02-12-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recline corrected.
Old 02-13-05, 09:25 AM

If it's your first projector - you won't be sorry. True, you want to get a dood deal but it will give you 2 -3 years of great pleasure if you use it and stop reading other reviews. This board is loaded with those who keep upgrading their DVDs for an EE or SE. If you'got that kind of bug the projector thing will make you crazy because new ones are coming out every day. So, get a good one now, watch movies, stop reading reviews or asking other for opinions until 2008.
Old 02-13-05, 12:07 PM

This is a really good projector for beginners.

The only negative I can say about the 4805, is the fan noise which is a bit loud. I don't hear it when music is playing in movies, but it's noticeable during quiet scenes with just dialogue.
Old 02-13-05, 02:53 PM

Personally, I would buy a projector that can at least resolve 720p (1280x720). The 4805 can display hd signals, but only down-res'd to 852x480. With HDTV becoming ever easier and cheaper to receive and HD-DVD out this year, 480p is just not enough pixels. If you don't want to spend any more bucks the 4805 is a great projector for DVD, but for any high res material you could get better for a few hundred more dollars.
Old 02-15-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Psych1
If it's your first projector - you won't be sorry. True, you want to get a dood deal but it will give you 2 -3 years of great pleasure if you use it and stop reading other reviews. This board is loaded with those who keep upgrading their DVDs for an EE or SE. If you'got that kind of bug the projector thing will make you crazy because new ones are coming out every day. So, get a good one now, watch movies, stop reading reviews or asking other for opinions until 2008.
I totally agree there, you can drive yourself nuts constantly worrying about upgrades and saving a buck or two. I think once you get a 4805 up and running you wont be disappointed.
Old 02-16-05, 01:25 PM

Depends what you are viewing. This is an extremely popular low-end projector, but its resolution is wide screen standard definition. As such, it will do a good job of displaying standard definition DVDs and TV, but if you want to watch HDTV signals, or plan on jumping to one of the HD DVD formats fairly soon, this projector has less than one half the pixels of a widescreen 720p projector. Those projectors cost more, however. You are probably looking at around $2000 for an LCD, which tend to have more reliability issues and worse contrast, or $4000+ for a DLP.
Old 02-16-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that was the key for me Tom - not having a huge budget. To go to a 90-some inch screen for $1400 was a huge selling point
Old 02-17-05, 08:02 AM

Thanks for everyones input. Looks like I'll take the plunge. I know I could get more for more money, but we are buying a new home and unfortunaltly things like a lawnmower come first.
Old 02-19-05, 08:50 PM

I think you will be fine until the hgher rez DLP pj's come down in price. I own the 4805 and has and still brings a smile to my face when i fire it up. This pj is popular for a reason, and makes a great entry level pj for a lot of people entering the FP game. Now with HD-DVD & Blu-Ray DVD coming out this fall i'm not going to jump into quite yet, because the first generation players will run a $1000. Also it will be another damn format war that is of course not a comsummer win. It will be VHS vs Beta, DVD-Audio vs SACD all over again! Remeber we asked for one format only! Any how about time all the dust clears and i'm ready to upgrade maybe all of this will be sorted out.

Last edited by Teehtf; 02-19-05 at 08:54 PM.