Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever re-bought the exact same DVD that you sold or gave away?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-07-05, 02:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Not one that was stolen or different versions (other regions), but given away or sold a DVD that you just didn't want or were anticipating a newer release that didn't come to fruition only to have to have the exact same version again? Or simply were horrified at the newer release that you just wanted the old one back?

The only one I can think of is "Last House on the Left".

I actually bought once, watched it with a friend, was so shocked at how utterly bad and demoralizing it was, I actually threw it away, in my trash, at the very bottom (so as not to be tempted to retrieve it). I then started actually collecting and came across more opinions and thought I might have been too hasty in my discard and actually bought it again (not that the prices were astronomical). I haven't watched it again, but am glad it is back in my collection with some of the other mentionable-unmentionables.

Others I have sold and have not regretted the sale with only one other I had since rented after giving up..."Training Day" and didn't regret that decision for a second.

How bout you...

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-07-05 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done that with Snow White:Platinium Edition. Sold it and then realized I wanted to keep it as a collectible, so I bought another through exchange.
Old 02-07-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As part of a trade to obtain Rabid Dogs, I traded away my Giallo Collection (Anchor Bay). I eventually re-acquired it, though.
Old 02-07-05, 02:44 PM

I've never rebought a DVD I sold. I'm usually happy with the rehashes and I only sell the garbage I'll never watch again.
Old 02-07-05, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only ever purchased one duplicate, Hard Boiled Criterion, and it's one of the few I've paid MSRP for. I found it after it was OOP, still have it around trying to figure out what to do w/ it
Old 02-07-05, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
I only ever purchased one duplicate, Hard Boiled Criterion, and it's one of the few I've paid MSRP for. I found it after it was OOP, still have it around trying to figure out what to do w/ it
you paid MSRP both times? lucky. just curious...why the sale in the first place?
Old 02-07-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A few times, yes. The only thiing I didn't like is that with the second go-around, several of the DVDs no longer included inserts.
Old 02-07-05, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you paid MSRP both times? lucky. just curious...why the sale in the first place?
I guess I didn't make it clear enough... I currently have two copies and thinking back about it overall I bought 3 copies. The first for myself. The second was ordered when it was originally rumored it was going OOP, but it didn't so I sold/traded it. Then it did go OOP and I ran across a copy in Best Buy or Circuit City.

Kind of back on topic, if you want to talk about the number of DVDs I've purchased multiple versions of (mainly HK R0, R1 and then R2 when I discovered HKLs... that's another, altogether more expensive, story ).
Old 02-07-05, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
Kind of back on topic, if you want to talk about the number of DVDs I've purchased multiple versions of (mainly HK R0, R1 and then R2 when I discovered HKLs... that's another, altogether more expensive, story ).
good point. i edited OP.
Old 02-07-05, 03:05 PM
Cool New Member

at most- 3 buys of the same title
Old 02-07-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gave away Brother for about $4-$5 when I sold a large lot of things I wanted no longer., Of course after I did that, my son decided it was one of his favorites. Cost me about $6 - $7 when I first bought it, cost me $20 at Christmas time 2004.
Old 02-07-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have traded and reacquired through trading In Living Color S1 (twice), The A Team S1 (twice), and The Dukes of Hazzard.

Dukes is gone again, but I'm sure it will come back at some point. If someone has a title I am very interested in, I will trade away certain lesser viewed titles knowing that I will get it back through trade eventually.
Old 02-07-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure there are some Batman fans that may have gotten tried of waiting for SE, or at least non first gen dvd transfer and bought it again. With new film coming out in few months I would assume long wait is coming to an end.
Old 02-07-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've re-bought a couple of movies that I got rid of at one point. I discovered later on that I liked the movie more than I realized.
Old 02-07-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do it all the time.
Old 02-07-05, 04:20 PM

give details people. titles, etc...we're interested.
Old 02-07-05, 04:40 PM

Don't remind me

I bought Resident Evil: Deluxe Edition when it came out for the free movie ticket. I had never bought the first edition so I figured it was a good deal. Then, I found out about the Collector's Box Set and decided I could give away my deluxe edition copy to a friend. So, I ordered the box set and gave away my copy. I got the box set in the mail to find out it contained the Special Edition of the first movie. Ahh &*^#$ and I was not about to ask my friend for the DVD back. I ended up rebuying the RE Deluxe Edition again because I'm a sucker and I wanted the extras I had before. On the positive side, I have all the Resident Evil editions.. on the negative.. well same thing

Lesson learned... don't give up my current edition until I have more info and don't buy a box set until I know what is actually in it.
Old 02-07-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well I have no rebought the exact same version of something yet..but I probably will rebuy the original Donnie Darko release based on the reviews of the Director's Cut....
Old 02-07-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Several times I've given away discs and boxsets to my family or friends--spur of the moment gifts, usually--and then rebought the same ones again myself.

Last edited by adamblast; 02-07-05 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I gave my first season sets of Roswell & Buffy the Vampire Slayer to my friends so she could get caught up in the show, and ended up just buying myself a new copy of the sets when Amazon had their sale a few months ago...
Old 02-07-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Exister
As part of a trade to obtain Rabid Dogs, I traded away my Giallo Collection (Anchor Bay). I eventually re-acquired it, though.
Thats all you had to do to get your hands on an original Dogs? Nice job. What else did it cost ya?

Not one that was stolen or different versions (other regions), but given away or sold a DVD that you just didn't want or were anticipating a newer release that didn't come to fruition only to have to have the exact same version again? Or simply were horrified at the newer release that you just wanted the old one back?
uhh....no.
Old 02-07-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have done this many times over... the reason is, that as a younger, poorer indivual, I needed a car badly, and sold my 180 DVD collection to get it lost Alien Legacy w/ extra disc, Army of Darkness LE, some rare OOP flippers LOL... sold the whole collection on eBay, about $2k... I ended up re-buying some of the same titles later on, including Dark City yesterday.
Old 02-07-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold about 100 discs a year ago to pay my taxes (stupid self-employment tax ) and have reaquired a few...about 20 of them were added back to the wish list.
Old 02-07-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LasVegasMichael
I have traded and reacquired through trading In Living Color S1 (twice), The A Team S1 (twice), and The Dukes of Hazzard.

Dukes is gone again, but I'm sure it will come back at some point. If someone has a title I am very interested in, I will trade away certain lesser viewed titles knowing that I will get it back through trade eventually.
Kinda seems like a waste of time and postage.
Old 02-07-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did this with a bunch of titles during Blockbuster's $8 trade-in promo. a lot of my early purchases were used titles from BBV that were pretty scratched. I traded those into BBV and ended up buying them again even cheaper ($7.50 or less).

I don't recall doing this any other time though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.