Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

can i play American dvds in europe????

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-03-05, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi to all,

My 1st post here!
jus wondering if there is programs out there that will decode american (region 1) dvds so that i can play them here in europe (region 2) on my laptop???

i want to buy some dvds on amazon.com that i cant get on amazon.co.uk.

also if i decode them on my laptop will i only be able to play them on it or will i be able to play them on any home dvd player??

any ideas????.........free programs please if possible!!!

thanks.
Old 02-03-05, 04:32 AM

actually, on PC, you have three levels for region code.

- Windows might be one level. I don't know if you can bypass this one. As far as I know, Win98 and Win2000 did not have region code but i think that some WinXP have.

- Your DVD player must be region free. If it is, you might be able to change the region code only 5 times. The fifth is the last one and then, your DVD player will be locked into this last region code. If it is not region free, so you have to do it. You have to go to the website of your DVD player manufacturer see there if there's a way to make it region free. It might be a code, a driver or even you have to change the firmware.

- Then you have the software which might play your DVD in one code only.

Anyway, you'll need DVDGenie which might help you play your multi region DVD on your laptop. but you have to check for Windows and your DVD player limitations.

As for your home DVD player, it must be region free. If it is not, it depends on the manufacturer : you have to patch something on the DVD player, or there's a code to do with your remote, or somebody has to open the DVD player and change something inside...
Old 02-03-05, 08:01 AM

Where in Europe are you? This link contains information on how to make many players available on the UK market region-free via the remote:
http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

Dazza.
Old 02-03-05, 08:50 AM

Hi--

It is possible to purchase region-free DVD drives for a PC, but I haven't done that so I can't really give advice.

To watch US DVDs on a TV screen anywhere in Europe you need to consider TWO things: Region Coding AND the television system.

Most home DVD players (eg those that attach to your TV set) manufactored in Europe or sold in Europe (especially in the UK) are actually region free. This means they play DVDs from *any* region, not just one (such as Region 2--UK or Region 1-- US).

However, even IF you purchase a "region 0" DVD (something without ANY region coding) you may still have problems watching your US DVDs in Europe--because the US television system is NTSC and the UK uses PAL -- these systems are incompatible with each other, normally. Note: PAL has higher resolution than NTSC (I think it's 525 lines verses 427 but I'm having a fuzzy brain moment and can't remember for sure). PAL and NTSC also encode colors differently.

STILL-- there is something you can do. Purchase a multi-region DVD player WITH automatic PAL-NTSC conversion. Again, most DVD players sold in Europe come equiped both as region-free and multi-system (PAL-NTSC conversion). Look for an automatic machine and you should be able to just pop-in whatever disc you want.

Also-- keep in mind that Europe uses a different power wattage for home than the US does. You can't simply plug in US gadgets overseas. And while I would trust a power converter to allow me to use my hairdryer or electric razor overseas, I wouldn't trust it on something delicate like a DVD player or computer! You might want to check on-line for power converters made especially for laptops, prior to leaving on your trip to Europe.

Oh-- ONE other thing-- I'm assuming here that you are going to the UK which uses the PAL TV system. If you are going to France, there TV system is SECAM--I would think that SECAM is incompatible with NTSC as well. I had assumed it was incompatible with PAL as well, but there have been a few discussions on this board stating that is NOT the case and that PAL and SECAM are compatible.

(Most countries in Europe use PAL, the exceptions-- France, Eastern Europe, and Russia use SECAM. Some of the former Soviet states have, possibly, converted from SECAM to PAL. Japan, tho' not in Europe, uses NTSC but it is a different region.)

Good luck,

--Brit TV fan
Old 02-03-05, 10:02 AM

i've personally used this.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

software to allow ur dvd drive to play any region.
Old 02-04-05, 04:40 AM

well thanks for all your help guys.

im actually already in the uk not travelling to it!
ive ordered my dvds from amazon.com so theyl be here in
a couple of weeks and il let u lot know how i get on.

thakns again.
Old 02-04-05, 03:14 PM
Cool New Member

My DVD player was Region 2 when first buying it, but I was able to make it region free with the remote, like the post above described.

I also play all regions on my DVD Rom, using a programme called "Anydvd". Failing all else, you'll probably be able to download that from somewhere like Kazaa, or CNET.
Old 02-06-05, 03:58 AM
Cool New Member

Or you can use the VLC player from http://www.videolan.org/ which bypasses any regional coding and plays DVD content directly. May require a faster CPU in some cases.

I
Old 02-06-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ivantod
Or you can use the VLC player from http://www.videolan.org/ which bypasses any regional coding and plays DVD content directly. May require a faster CPU in some cases.

I
According to their forum the VLC player has a lot of problems. Havenīt tried it myself, though.