Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost movies of the 1980's- the HBO years

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-24-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Got to thinking from the best of the 80's thread. Many of the films on my list I may never see again!

I really miss the HBO of the early 1980's. Not only did you get to see all of hits, but it was really a great mixed bag. Disney movies before the Disney Channel. Oliver! every Xmas. And some great, small, relatively unknown movies which seem to have been lost with time.

Here's a list of movies that have all but disappeared in the 20 or so years since I saw them on HBO. Can only hope they see the light of day again sometime down the road.

I GO POGO - great claymation adaptation of the daily strip, involving the voice talents of Paul Frees, Stan Freeberg and Jonathan Winters. Also just a great political satire.

The ADVENTURES OF MARK TWAIN - Claymation film about Mark Twain's trip to meet up with Halley's Comet on the year of its return. Great animated sequences of stories from Twain's collection..esp. those involving the Mysterious Stranger.

TWICE UPON A TIME - Another animated flick, this time produced by Geroge Lucas. Done in the Lumage process, which involved the cutting out of pieces of fabric. Has been released in past years on videotape and LD, but never with the original more adult soundtrack originally aired on HBO.

CANNERY ROW - Great moody John Steinbeck adaptation, containing a strong lead performance by Nick Nolte and a boatload of great character actors. Beautiful cinematography and exceptional voiceover work by John Huston.

ROCK AND RULE - Animation again. This time from Nelvana. Really grounbreaking for 1983, and a great head trip.

GET CRAZY - The funniest film no one has ever seen. From Alan Arkush (director of Rock and Role High School). The goings ons at a New Years Eve rock concert, with hysterical turns by Malcom McDowell, Lou Reed and Bill Henderson.

Anyone else know of any other great films from the heyday of HBO that have basically vanished????

Lost in nostalgia,
Old 01-24-05, 02:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember when i was a kid i used to sneak downstairs late at night to check out T&A flicks. my favorite was called "Going All The Way". havent seen it since.

and is Twice Upon a Time the animated flick with a robot that would play movie clips back (from Raiders of the Lost Ark, specifically) to communicate?

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-24-05 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think this was an hbo made movie (mostly australian actors and locations if i recall).

title was Fortress and starred rachel ward as a schoolteacher who (along with her class) is kidnapped and held for ransom. i think it was available on vhs but nothing on dvd to my knowledge.

anyone remember this one other than me.

would love to get this on dvd
Old 01-24-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is 'just one of the guys' in that era youre speaking of? they played it all the time. that movie is amazing plus a boob shot at the end!
Old 01-24-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dilligaf
i think this was an hbo made movie (mostly australian actors and locations if i recall).

title was Fortress and starred rachel ward as a schoolteacher who (along with her class) is kidnapped and held for ransom. i think it was available on vhs but nothing on dvd to my knowledge.

I remember this one.
Spoiler:
Didn't they kill the kipnappers and put their body organs in jars? I remember at the end they showed a close up of a jar with something in it anyway.

Two other movies I saw quite often on HBO were the Mother Lode and TAG: The Assasination Game. I would like to see Mother Lode come out on DVD, but I have a feeling that TAG probably didn't age that well.
Old 01-24-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
These were HBO mainstays for me...

Animalympics & Under the Rainbow.
Old 01-24-05, 04:35 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Top 5 movies of the 80s that were always on HBO:

The Beastmaster (of course)
Yor, The Hunter From the Future
Pete's Dragon
Super Fuzz
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Old 01-24-05, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=zak52]I remember this one.
Spoiler:
Didn't they kill the kipnappers and put their body organs in jars? I remember at the end they showed a close up of a jar with something in it anyway.

Thats the one my man. Glad someone else was up that late at nite watching those great childrens programs

Spoiler:
It was the lead bad guy's heart in the jar that they cut out and kept
Old 01-24-05, 05:07 PM

Wow, I used to love Fortress. I wonder if it would still hold up today.

The one I remember watching constantly was On The Right Track with Gary Coleman, which still has one of the most bizarre premises for a film in that Gary lives inside a locker at Grand Central Station and is somehow a prodigy at predicting horse races. It was also my first exposure to the wonder of Vincent Schiavelli.
Old 01-24-05, 05:11 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow - good call! I forgot about that one.

I've seen it a few times since and it holds up quite well. It's pretty good thriller (believe it debuted as an Australian TV movie).

Father Christmas was one scary villain!
Old 01-24-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
I have "Twice Upon a Time" on VHS. I had no idea it had a different soundtrack. It's still a pretty kick-ass movie (and funny!) and I'd love to get it on DVD.

Not a movie, but there was a one-hour comedy special on HBO featuring a comedian named Steven Banks. He was attempting to work from home but kept getting distracted by things around his house. It occurred in real-time, as he wandered around his apartment set. He was a fairly accomplished musician, playing the guitar, drums and several other instruments around the stage. He had nothing in his cupboards but chocolate chip cookies and ended up getting fired at the end but scored a band gig so he was happy.

It was HILARIOUS and I wish it was still available somewhere

Last edited by Draven; 01-24-05 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 05:24 PM

anyone remember HBO's show of trivia, puzzles, etc called "Brain Games"? my brother and I loved watching these.
Old 01-24-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by cygnet74
anyone remember HBO's show of trivia, puzzles, etc called "Brain Games"? my brother and I loved watching these.
Loved 'em.

Also, neglected to mention Looker.
Old 01-24-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Fortess was awesome. Some really great bits in there.

One that freaked me out was, when, toward the end, the one girl took off, and they were calling out to her... "Norelle! Norelle!" and the kidnapper, who was pursuing them, was calling out the name, too.
Old 01-24-05, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

One that freaked me out was, when, toward the end, the one girl took off, and they were calling out to her... "Norelle! Norelle!" and the kidnapper, who was pursuing them, was calling out the name, too.

oh yeah. now the real question... who owns the rights to this film?
Old 01-24-05, 06:25 PM

never watched it, but will never forget the title to Finnegan Begin Again from those days.
Old 01-24-05, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rock 'N' Roll High School Forever and The Private Eyes are two personal favorites that I used to watch on HBO all the time in the '80s. Where is the Rock 'N' Roll DVD?
Old 01-24-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I remember every Christmas you could count on HBO bringing you three movies/specials:
Oliver!
Emmet Otters Jug Band Christmas
Rich Little's A Christmas Carol-great showcase for the man to do his impersonations

I also remember seeing the movie Goin Ape! with Tony Danza, Danny DeVito, and three Orangatuans a lot. I also remember a movie about Gary Coleman being in the boyscouts and saving his troop who got lost in a cave.
Old 01-24-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Right here (my hand is raised) I watched it everytimg it came on when I was a kid.
Old 01-24-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Definitely I also loved the close up shots on Father Christmas
Old 01-24-05, 08:11 PM

I have Fortress. Got a used VHS tape off of ebay last year. I used to have nightmares about this movie for years and years, I always dreamed I was one of the kidnapped kids. Father Christmas mask is just freaky. The movie holds up really well and is still quite effective. Don't know why my mom let me watch it so much as a kid. It is one of the last movies on my top 100 list that has yet to make it to dvd, I hope for it one day though. The movie is truly good, check ebay, it is worth a cheap vhs price just to see the movie again.
Old 01-24-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I also remember watching Cannonball Run on numerous afternoons when I got home from Kindergarten; loved the days when school ended at 12:00 noon!!!
What stinks is that I remember renting a PG version of VHS a few years back and because I had seen it so many times as a kid, knew where all of the obscenities fell. I was quite frustrated to see that it had been edited!!!!
Old 01-24-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
It's actually a 70's movie, but the very first movie I remember seeing on HBO (At a friend's house) was Tubby The Tuba. Never seen it since.

Body Slam was another one that aired frequently. Aint seen that one in awhile either.
Old 01-25-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm glad someone made this thread, because there's a question about this very type of thing that's been bugging me for some time. I'll describe it the way I remember it, so I don't have to keep saying "I seem to remember this" or I seem to remember that."

Early, early HBO days...
made-for-HBO...
starred E.G. Daily...
movie was called "Josie", or something like that.

I've looked and looked for information about this all over the internet, and come up with nothing. I know I didn't just dream it, because I basically "fell in love" with E.G. Daily watching that, and everything I saw her in after that always reminded me of seeing that early movie.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? Do I know what the hell I'm talking about?
Old 01-25-05, 06:53 AM
Banned

i seem to remember this movie with a bunch of kids, including Chunk from Goonies, where they hatch this elaborate scheme to break into some clinic or something and free animals.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.