Hollywood Video sale =cheaper used dvd's

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 01-14-05, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that Movie Gallery has purchased Hollywood Video
you can expect to see the same "Buy 2 get 2 free sales"
at your local Hollywood Video in the not too distant future.

Last edited by hurricane; 01-14-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-14-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They haven't purchased them yet. Blockbuster could still raise their offer as everyone expects them to. I wouldn't say this is over yet by a long shot.
Old 01-14-05, 02:38 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully, if the sale goes through we'll see original cases and inserts, too. Maybe even some market pressure on BBV to do the same.
Old 01-14-05, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by meritocracy
They haven't purchased them yet. Blockbuster could still raise their offer as everyone expects them to. I wouldn't say this is over yet by a long shot.

Done deal.
Old 01-14-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I've given up on Hollywood Video. Their used discs look like people tried to clean the smudges off with brillo pads.
Old 01-14-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i always had good luck with hollywood video adn there used movies. I like that it comes in orginal cases.
Old 01-14-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maingon
i always had good luck with hollywood video adn there used movies. I like that it comes in orginal cases.
For the last 6 months or so, the Hollywoods around here have been selling off their PVDs in rental cases. Their rental cases are even worse than the BBV ones, in my opinion. MG and Video News are the only ones around here who give you the original case and insert/slipcase if available.
Old 01-14-05, 05:59 PM

I've never got an original case with a PV Hollywood Video movie.
Old 01-14-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

99% original cases at hollywood here and the one year guarantee is pretty sweet.
Old 01-14-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hurricane
Done deal.
Just becuase Hollywood agreed doesn't mean it's done. Blockbuster will counter. This scenario still has to play out a bit longer.
Old 01-22-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I talked to the assistant manager at the BBV near me. I asked him if the Hollywood Video that just opened up 3 minutes away took any of their business. He said not really. I mentioned how they've been rumored to purchase Movie Gallery. (For the record, there aren't any Movie Galleries in Southern California, and possibly all of California). He nodded his head in acknowledgement and replied with "You know what, though. We've just struck a deal to acquire Hollywood Video."

I don't know how reliable his words are. He usually talks crap about BBV, whenever I do talk to him, so I don't think he was speaking out of BBV-pride or anything like that.

Maybe it was just an offer Blockbuster made. But, shit, man. Talk about a monopoly!
Old 01-22-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blockbuster has done no such thing.

Read the latest here: http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/stor...le&dist=google
Old 01-22-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know the Wall Street Journal normally uses their local BBV manager as their contact for what''s going on from a corporate level...that's where you get accurate information. Sorry, couldn't resist

Jealous KC Chiefs Fan

Ron
Old 01-22-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
I know the Wall Street Journal normally uses their local BBV manager as their contact for what''s going on from a corporate level...that's where you get accurate information. Sorry, couldn't resist

Jealous KC Chiefs Fan

Ron
Ahh! You would take a shot outside the playing field, since you're team can't take one on it!

Ha! J/K

I don't see you guys having as bad a record next year; definitely better than the Broncos and Raiders. Hell, if we don't re-sign key coaches (O-line coach, RB Coach, etc.) that have their contracts already up, then I dunno. Maybe better than the Bolts? -holds back tears-
Old 01-22-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really felt bad for Marty and Donnie Edwards after that Jet game. I wanted to cheer for them all the way to the SB. Hell, we could go on and on....talking about Drew and what is going to happen etc. Best wishes for next year!!! Hopefully we'll both make it.

Ron
Old 01-22-05, 09:12 PM

Unless blockbuster makes a hostile takeover it is a done deal. In the agreement that has to be voted on and will probably get approved there is several items of fine print that makes the deal very expensive for Blockbuster if they do succeed in a hostile takeover. I suspect that it will be too expensive for them.
Austin
Old 01-23-05, 02:13 PM

I suspect that it will be too expensive for them.
I don't know about that. Aside from cost, you have to weigh the value of keeping your number two competitor out of a major section of the country.

Movie Gallery's main reason for buying Hollywood is so they can expand out to the west.

fitprod
Old 01-23-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
I really felt bad for Marty and Donnie Edwards after that Jet game. I wanted to cheer for them all the way to the SB. Hell, we could go on and on....talking about Drew and what is going to happen etc. Best wishes for next year!!! Hopefully we'll both make it.

Ron
I can see how you'd feel for Donnie and Marty, being ex-Chiefs and all.

This is the wrong forum for me to continue chatting up football, so I'll just go ahead and say "thanks". The Chargers have a tough schedule next year, but so does every team in the AFC West, I believe. Next year, we'll either be exposed or taken as the real deal (a.k.a. not "one-year wonders").

Anyway, best o' luck to the Chiefs next year!

Mods: I shall discuss football no longer on this thread, so no need to warn.
Old 01-23-05, 07:40 PM

So can we now officially retitle and/or close this thread, since the bargain was only orginally conjecture and now we have wandered way off topic anyway.

A better title might have been: "Possible sale of Hollywood Video to Movie Gallery might mean cheaper DVDs"