Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why were there no/Will there ever be more X-Files Feature Films?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-22-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never quite got into the series(I saw it as a bad dramaziation of the paranomal 60 Minutes "Sightings") but I do recall enjoying "X-Files: Fight the Future" quite a bit. Had some nice echoes of North by Northwest to me, and I was intrigued to see more(as I heard had been planned). I had imagined the series ending would just allow for the show to live on a film universe, ala Star Trek. Of course I realize I can work my way through the series DVDs, but the great production value of the movie was a big selling point to me.

So the question is, why have there not been more, and is there any chance we'll see more?
Old 09-22-04, 06:45 PM
Banned

Yes, there will be another X-Files film someday. Carter, Spotnitz, etc. have said they have several storylines and ideas that they will work on and FOX has expressed interest in another feature.

As a bigtime X-Files fan I found the film to be one of the better TV-to-film adaptations. Many complained that it was just a regular episode blown up to two hours but that's what I enjoyed about it, that it stayed true to the interpersonal relationship of Mulder and Scully and the writing, dialogue was exactly like what you hear on the show. If you enjoyed the film, Nature Boy, I'd imagine you'd love the series. Sure there are weaker episodes, especially after Season 5, but every show's got them. The best of the X-Files was some of the most exciting television of recent years.

Last edited by Rivero; 09-22-04 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Give it time. They already said there would be a movie.
Old 01-13-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news? Let's hope Gillian is healthier by then..

SPOOKY SPEAKS: The truth is out there about the long-awaited second X-Files flick. Actually, the truth was in Wednesday's USA Today, but that's neither here nor there. David Duchovny told the paper that he expects to shoot the sequel later this year or early in 2006. "It'll be a stand-alone horror movie," he said. "Mulder and Scully investigate one particular case that has nothing to do with alien life. It has to do with supernatural stuff."
Old 01-13-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET I always loved the monster of the week episodes more than the mulder/sister story.
Old 01-13-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET I always loved the monster of the week episodes more than the mulder/sister story.
Agreed. The movie suddenly interests me.
Old 01-13-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If the stand alone investigation is the case, then I assume the movie would have to take place sometime before season 7 unless they are running some sort of private paranormal investigation service.
Old 01-13-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cartload
If the stand alone investigation is the case, then I assume the movie would have to take place sometime before season 7 unless they are running some sort of private paranormal investigation service.
As any x-files fan knows, anything can happen. Fox could be a director at the FBI by now. I really hope this film becomes a reality, and then becomes a hit. It needs to be a film franchise. Maybe they could do a new TV show, there certainly isn't much worthwhile on Fox right now.
Old 01-13-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Well, look at it this way. They don't have to make a movie that tries to sell you to watch the tv series anymore.
Old 01-13-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
Maybe they'll be investigating exactly how they've come to be FBI investigators again.
Old 01-13-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I spoke to Dean Haglund (Langley) at Dragon Con in Atlanta last September and I bluntly asked him if there would be a second movie and he said - '2 years from now' - I said 'Great!' and kept walking ($20 bucks for an autograph...).

I guess this makes it sometime in 2006. I for one am hoping for the alien invasion to finally occur, but I think that they are somehow waiting for the 'date' revealed in the last episode as a kind of punblic relations thing...
Old 01-13-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Last I read was that it would definitely take place before season 8 in the X-files timeline. Before Dogget/Reyes/Mulder's abduction/alien baby/supersoldier - shenanigan type stuff.
Old 01-14-05, 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kerborus
I for one am hoping for the alien invasion to finally occur,
The whole "alien invasion" that they'd been hinting at for so long is done for. Kaput. Finished. Will never happen. Ever. The way the story was fucked up the last two seasons, not to mention Spielberg's War of the Worlds coming this year.....fuhgeddaboutit. The closest glimpse fans will have ever gotten of an invasion was in the season 7 opener 'The Sixth Extinction: Amor Fati'
Old 01-14-05, 09:07 AM

Taken from tvguide.com...

SPOOKY SPEAKS

The truth is out there about the long-awaited second X-Files flick. Actually, the truth was in Wednesday's USA Today, but that's neither here nor there. David Duchovny told the paper that he expects to shoot the sequel later this year or early in 2006. "It'll be a stand-alone horror movie," he said. "Mulder and Scully investigate one particular case that has nothing to do with alien life. It has to do with supernatural stuff."
Old 01-14-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 01-14-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davejt1
Taken from tvguide.com...

SPOOKY SPEAKS

The truth is out there about the long-awaited second X-Files flick. Actually, the truth was in Wednesday's USA Today, but that's neither here nor there. David Duchovny told the paper that he expects to shoot the sequel later this year or early in 2006. "It'll be a stand-alone horror movie," he said. "Mulder and Scully investigate one particular case that has nothing to do with alien life. It has to do with supernatural stuff."
BOOOO

I want aliens, not a ghost story.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 01-14-05 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-14-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bring it!

The first movie was great.
Old 01-14-05, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Sounds good, I loved Fight The Future

As Nature Boy said it had echos of NbyNW it it rocked. The cornfield scenes were just too cool with the bees.

Anybody see the teaser posters for these? They were awesome 1 was of the cornfield, 1 the ice caps and 1 the desert? I think.

Can't wait for a new movie.
Old 01-14-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I've been wanting to buy them for ages, but they go for $20+ each, theatrical size. I may break down and get the 24x36 ones to frame. A set of three can be had on ebay for $10. Hard to justify $50 more dollars for pretty much the same thing. And this is coming from someone who buys all kinds of theatrical one sheets.
Old 01-14-05, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've been wanting to buy them for ages, but they go for $20+ each, theatrical size. I may break down and get the 24x36 ones to frame. A set of three can be had on ebay for $10. Hard to justify $50 more dollars for pretty much the same thing. And this is coming from someone who buys all kinds of theatrical one sheets.
I gotta check my boxes, but I think I still have all 3 brand new double sided...damn i gotta check now.... my interest is peaked in hanging these up again
Old 01-16-05, 01:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I for one, am much more interested in seeing this now. I find the standalone horror episodes to be highly rewatchable still today.
Old 01-16-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Give it time. They already said there would be a movie.
Geeez Jack....the first movie came out in '98! They've had plenty of time already.....
Old 01-17-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good a place to ask as any...

where does the first movie fit into the continuity of the show. between seasons? if so, which seasons?
Old 01-17-05, 04:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chess
Good a place to ask as any...

where does the first movie fit into the continuity of the show. between seasons? if so, which seasons?

The movie takes place after the Season 5 ender, titled 'The End'. The X-Files is shut down and Mulder's office is burned. The Season 6 opener, 'The Beginning', takes place immediately after the movie.
Old 01-18-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rivero
The movie takes place after the Season 5 ender, titled 'The End'. The X-Files is shut down and Mulder's office is burned. The Season 6 opener, 'The Beginning', takes place immediately after the movie.
Great to know since I own the first 6 seasons. I'm only on season 2, and now know to rent the movie prior to season 6.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.