Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on the VELODYNE CT120 SW?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any thoughts on the VELODYNE CT120 SW?

Old 01-23-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking about getting it...
Old 01-23-01, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the CT100 about a year ago for $425.00. I've been very pleased. I don't know how to rate subwoofers accuratley and I'm not trying to pretend. The two criteria that I used when I made my decision was if the sub sounded boomy, which the Polk was terrible. it rattled you head and just left reasonance. It was not tight. And if it sounded boxy. The Velodyne was the tightest. The sound did not fade off once the signal ended and it did not sound contained. I did have to play with the sub volume level for a very long time to get it right though.
Old 01-23-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the CT-80 and love the thing. For my apartment, it's perfect.

It's a very musical sub. Plenty of extra low end without getting boomy.

If the CT-80 is any indication of the CT-120's performance, I'd say go for it.
Old 01-23-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help. I currently have a infinity BU-120 (I think that is it) and I am looking for something with more power and better sound. Went to circuit city today after work to listen to one and it did sound very nice.
Is there anyone who has had any problems with this model?
Old 01-24-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like Velodyne subs, but I dont like the CT series that much. If you plan on spending 800-1000 I would go with the velodyne. If your going to spend 400-500 I would go with the HSU Research VTF-2.

Its a 10" down-firing sub and rated as high as some subs in the 1k range. Rated at 150 watts, the rating is very conservative. I have the sub volume set at 3 in a 12 x 12 room and its plenty loud without any boominess (is that a word?). Quick response for music. Nice and tight. Its rated down to 25hz. You can even contact Dr. Hsu in cali to help set up/placement. He will speak to you directly. www.hsuresearch.com.

Read the reviews at www.audioreview.com. Also, read the reviews at www.soundandvision.com (go to hot topics then bargain bassment) they review the top 5 subs under 500 dollars. The HSU and Mission were rated the best.

You can buy the HSU from www.jeffssoundvalues.com for 425 plus shipping. You can pick up the mission from an e-tailor in Canada for under 400 US dollars.

I'm too lazy to link anything....(edited, someone else isnt...)

[This message has been edited by SoSpacey (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old 01-24-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>. If your going to spend 400-500 I would go with the HSU Research VTF-2.<HR>

I am sure their are better subs out there, but I needed to get one at circuit city since that is where I got my last one. They allow you to trade up within a year of purchase and they give you your full purchase price as a credit. I went ahead and got it this morning...paid 299.00.