Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

FARSCAPE fans...don't know how I feel about this "Stargate SG-1" casting spoiler..

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FARSCAPE fans...don't know how I feel about this "Stargate SG-1" casting spoiler..

Old 12-16-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irony?

OPEN STARGATE: We've got good news for fans of Sci Fi's Stargate SG-1 and great news for fans of Farscape: TV Guide Online has learned exclusively that when SG-1 begins its ninth season, Farscape hunk Ben Browder will join the long-running series as a regular. In the meantime, the show is continuing its efforts to hammer out a deal to keep erstwhile MacGyver Richard Dean Anderson (who has been with SG-1 since its 1997 debut) on board, at least in a limited capacity. Whatever happens when all the moondust settles, SG-1 returns to finish out its eighth season on Jan. 21, when it will take over the 8 pm/ET time slot to accommodate the addition of Battlestar Galactica to the net's lineup at 10. No reason for the cast shake-up was given.
Old 12-16-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if it's ironic, but it definitely sucks.

Browder was the driving force of Farscape IMO & I've watched a few episodes of Stargate & I think the show is just awful. Totally generic mindless crap that is on it's 9th season while Farscape is the most innovative & intelligent show on TV in years it get's canned. Actually, that explains a lot about the state of today's TV programming & why I don't watch anythin anymore.

For Farscape fans it's got to be extremely weird to see Browder on Stargate. And wasn't Claudia Black on it at one point? How weird would that be to see them both in an episode.

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-16-04 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 01:55 AM

This seems more like a win win situation for either
Browder fans or SG1 fans.
The series gets a solid actor who should fit the
SG style/mold.

As for the *Mindless* comment....I have never been
a big fan of either series. But SG for the most
part of 8 seasons has not taken itself too seriously.
I give the producers kudos for going out and trying
to find a good actor to help the series along.
Whether or not it works out is another topic.
Old 12-17-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
From this, I get the same kind of feeling I get when a really great "indie band" gets signed with one of the major labels. You're happy for them, but deep down, you know the band "as you know it" is gone forever.

I still can't bring myself to watch the drek that is Stargate. But congrats on that steady paycheck, Ben.
Old 12-17-04, 09:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wow, lots of hate for SG-1, huh?

I'm a big fan of BOTH shows, and I think this is great news since Browder will add a new dynamic to Stargate SG-1.

I'd also want to disagree with Sessa17's "generic mindless crap" critique. Over the years, the show has been able to blend our modern day with sci-fi elements, adhear to plausible military aspects, not to mention building on a backstory that most shows (in general) never seem to do (no constant "re-boots"). It has it's mix of great, good, so-so, and crap episodes, so by no means do I say that this show is perfect. However, it's a fun show to watch.

Hey, I can understand if a certain show is not your thing, but no need to piss on other genre fans just so you can feel better. As for the "state of today's TV programming" comment: that's just a cop-out. There's alot of good stuff out there (beyond just the sci-fi genre): you just need to look for it.
Old 12-17-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by greydt

Hey, I can understand if a certain show is not your thing, but no need to piss on other genre fans just so you can feel better.

It's my opinion, it has nothing to do with making me feel better & I don't really no what you are talking about. I didn't "piss on other genre fans" I trashed one show. Big deal, I've seen tons of posts knocking Farscape, I'm not going to cry over it. Good thing I don't post my thoughts on the redundant, cliche that is the Sopranos.

As for the "state of today's TV programming" comment: that's just a cop-out. There's alot of good stuff out there (beyond just the sci-fi genre): you just need to look for it.
It aboslutely is not a "cop-out" it's what I feel is the truth. How many shows are on TV, hundreds & hundreds, & i could count on 1 hand the truly innovative, creative shows there are, none of which are even in the Top 30 highest rated shows. Lool at this forum as an example, a very few truly great, smart shows on TV, & it's shows like the Apprentice & Survivor that get pages & pages of discussion. I'm not making this stuff up. That IMO shows what the average audience wants & the crap that is produced. Stargate is an example of that, it's play-it-safe sci-fi, I've seen a lot if it. Farscape was anything but that, & it get's canned. You don't have to agree, it's just my opinion.

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-17-04 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-17-04, 11:02 AM

I tried typing up a reply a few times, but I don't even know where to start: there's like 5-6 topics and rants going on at once in your post.

1) You felt the need to mention (twice) that it was your opinion. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and if you decide to throw around words like "mindless", expect other people to disagree. That's my opinion.

2) I hate reality shows, so you're not going to have me disagreeing with you on that point.

3) I'm not a fan of the Sopranos either, but I don't having a buring dislike for it.

4) I don't think anyone in TV Talk has ever equated ratings = quality. I certainly don't believe that either, so it's a moot point. However, what you posted up initially was a cop-out. You threw out a generic "state of today's TV programming" in your first post, but at least you tried to explain it in your second one.

I'm really trying to take this a notch down: you posted second and set the tone of the thread with anger. Unforunately, I think I got caught in that, and apologize if I did, but I hope you can choose to start being civil as well.
Old 12-17-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really trying to take this a notch down: you posted second and set the tone of the thread with anger. Unforunately, I think I got caught in that, and apologize if I did, but I hope you can choose to start being civil as well.
I'm not trying to argue or offend anyone. I guess I just forget how sensitve people are here. Where on earth was I not civil? I didn't call anyone a name, I didn't insult anyone. All I did was express my opinion, I can't help if people are so insecure about what they watch & take it to heart so much, that just b/c a stranger doesn't like something they do, they have to get bent out of shape over it. The Farscape/Stargate scenerio I feel is a great example of the state of TV & that is what my post was about. Farscape = creative/innovative = cancellation, Stargate = bromide/stereotypical fluff = a near decade & still on the air.

I enjoy tons of stuff that people may feel is mindless, who cares. Like what you like, but I have every right to criticize or express negative opinions of any show or movie.

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-17-04 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-17-04, 12:48 PM

Um...okay. I think you're deriving more emotion from my posts that there really is. I can't really say I'm taking this thread as "insecure about what they watch/take it to heart so much/just b/c a stranger doesn't like something they do/get bent out of shape over it"...which to be honest, is alot stuff to be feeling in one sentance.

But, like I said in my first post in the thread, I "disagreed" with you and posed a different POV. Like what you yourself have stated, all I did was express my opinion.

Hey, have a good weekend nonetheless.
Old 12-17-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I'd also want to disagree with Sessa17's "generic mindless crap" critique. Over the years, the show has been able to blend our modern day with sci-fi elements, adhear to plausible military aspects, not to mention building on a backstory that most shows (in general) never seem to do (no constant "re-boots"). It has it's mix of great, good, so-so, and crap episodes, so by no means do I say that this show is perfect. However, it's a fun show to watch.

Everyone is definitely entitled to an opinion. Problem is, Sessa's opinion is based on seeing a "few" episodes of SG1, as he mentioned in his first post. What is that? Less than 5 out of around 170 episodes? It just isn't a very valid or informed opinion.
Old 12-17-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

greydt - Read my posts, I never said "you" were insecure in what you watch.

I've seen most of the first Season of Stargate, most of the 5th season all in two nights, & whatever that new show is on sci-fi which was really bad. So I think tha is more than enough to base my opinion on.

I would actually, like to see the episodes with Claudia Black & definitely Browder's first episode.

I also apolgize for calling Stargate "mindless" there are certainly way more shows, a vast majority of what is on TV more worthy of being called that. I stick by calling it generic crap though.

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-17-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey, guys... take it outside, willya?
Old 12-17-04, 02:29 PM

So, uh, how about that Browder casting, huh?
Old 12-17-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wish he could have found a better show to hire him. Love Ben but, as much as I've tried, I just don't like Stargate.
Old 12-17-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to hear it. Love Browder, and love SG-1. Should be great in the humor department.
Old 12-17-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
it was suggested on the news groups, and I agree, that they should have gotten Adam Baldwin. For one thing he's already played a colonel on SG1
Old 12-17-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I happen to enjoy SG-1, so this is good news for me.
Old 12-17-04, 10:55 PM

Hello all!!

I read the first several posts with great amusement!! For me...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If someone told me that Stargate SG1 sucks ass..I could care less! That is their opinion.
But I digress...

As a huge fan of both Farscape and all things Stargate, I am estatic that Ben Browder is joining the SG1 crew! I am looking forward to seeing what he brings to the show!!

Take care all!
Old 12-18-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
So how is season 8 going anyway? I only watch them on dvd, and since season 7 came out AFTER season 8 started, I haven't seen any of it. I have to say, I was not very impressed with 7. I like the new president so far. But the whole Col. O'Niel always being out, injured, only seen on a video feed or just staying on the base is lame. It is obvious RDA wanted to be able to film his stuff for each episode in a days worth of time. Just write him out already. I think it is worse with the 5 minute cameo's in each episode.