Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will "1900" ever come to DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will "1900" ever come to DVD?

1900 is a film from 1976 that stars Robert De Niro.

This is so frustrating! 1900 has to be one of my two or three most anticipated DVDs. I'd love to be able to choose between watching it in English or Italian, the short or the uncut version, love to be able to look at deleted scenes (when it was shown at Cannes it was even longer than the so-called "uncut version"), maybe even--if my dreams came true--hear commentary tracks, etc, etc.

However, they'll probably have to spawn it over 2 DVDs or so, because it is a 318min. movie (the uncut version, that is.)

What's keeping Paramount? They went to all the trouble back in the '90s to restore and remaster an uncut print, and after showing it in a few big cities, they just buried it...

Last edited by supersonicx; 12-08-04 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish!

This film is the perfect example of what Criterion needs in their collection

Alas, I will have to rent it at Movie Gallery everytime I want to see it. Oddly, one of the BB near me carries it (but they just have the first VHS tape. WTF?)
Old 12-08-04, 06:39 PM

Like Bertolucci's The Conformist/Il Conformista (another of his major films eagerly awaited on DVD), 1900 is controlled by Paramount. This means that neither film will be available for Criterion to license.

Sadly, I haven't heard a hint of a rumor about a Paramount release of either title.
Old 12-08-04, 11:33 PM

If Paramount decides to release it, it will probably have at least one scene edited out.
Old 12-09-04, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which scene are you speaking of?

Spoiler:
The three way masturbation? The little boys checking out each other erections? Burt Lancaster telling the little girl milker to check inside his pants? Donald Sutherland bashing the kids head against some wall?
?