Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Saved!'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-29-04, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of Saved! at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12394 and...

I agree with most of the review. For those of us that actually were brought up in this atmosphere let me just say that this movie for me bordered on hillarious satire and insulting cringes. The acting was a little dry and the story line-- at times-- was WAYYYY to preachy and trite (like in one of the last scenes where the castaways crash the prom-- my bet is in ten years the writers will look at the scene and say, "A little much. We could've done better.")
It is true that at a Christian school that there are all these different characters-- from the anti-scocials to the extremeists-- and the writers did a great job at portaying that. However, my problem is that there wasn't much sympathy given to the "devils" of the film. We don't see WHY these extremeists are the way they are-- we don't get to see much compassion for their characters. Which of course only leads to stereotyping and triteness.

All in all this is a good film, a great independent flick, and one worthy of a rental. If you were brought up in this atmosphere-- and are open minded enough-- you'll be able to appreciate the gentle jabs-- but prepare for a couple of over the top insults.
Old 11-29-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Regarding the "origins" of the extremists, I don't know if the pacing or feel of the film could have given proper space to explaining the whys, and is likely better off leaving the audience to assume that this is how they were raised. Seeing Hilary Faye's parents might have helped explain it a bit, but you run the risk of an even worse portrayal of people who, in the end, were more misguided than evil.

Watching some of the deleted scenes, I saw a couple of moments where Hilary Faye is given more humanity, but in satire, complexity can be an obstacle.
Old 11-29-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Hillary Faye is given a little bit of humanity at the end.

As far as WHY religious extremists are the way they are, I don't think it matters. Look around you. If you live in a "red" state, odds are good you've known a whole lot of people like Hillary Faye. It's just the way it is.
Old 01-06-05, 12:59 PM

Ahhhhhh, so this is where my review went!!!! *L*

Francis, I agree. It probably would have screwed up the pacing. An example I had a problem with was in the "prayer" meeting scene. I've been to a couple of those things back in the day and it is true that there are those that were, shall we say, a little zealous with their beliefs-- well intentioned but over-zealous and judgemental. (Sidenote: In fact there were times where I know I probably was guilty of it as well. All I can do now, looking back with hindsight, is give a little embarrased smile, shake my head and blame it on well meaning immaturity. *L*) The point is that it was the way we were brought up. They were beliefs that were instilled in us from an early age-- and beliefs are not something that you can turn on or off with the flick of a switch. As for the Hillary Duff character I think they spent so much time making her into an over-zealous devil that it went from being a satire to being insulting. If we could have seen why she was the way she was, a little sympathy for the devil, it would have made her a little less insulting and a little more dimensional.

Now with all this being said I am now going to post this and go watch the DVD again.
Old 01-08-05, 10:47 PM
Banned

At least they were kind enough to make the movie a comedy.
Where as the case for a movie about not being SAVED! would be the movie KIDS. Now that's a movie that you don't want your kids to end up like.
Although there was a girl character in SAVED! that was like in KIDS, but they made her out to like a wise kid who knows all & what's right.