Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dark lines from bright objects on my Wega.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dark lines from bright objects on my Wega.

Old 01-02-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 36" Sony Wega XBR250 which I use with a Panasonic A310 DVD player. Whenever I watch a movie on DVD and there is a small light, such as a candle, light bulb, star, LED, etc. in the scene, I get this darker streak coming from the light source and stretching across the screen. Usually these dark lines stretch to the right. It's like drawing a straight line from the light source to the other side of the screen. It reminds me a little of the ghosting effect from a bad antenna, but only happens with bright lights and is much more defined.

My television is properly calibrated, and the problem is bad with S-video, but much worse with composite video (almost unwatchable).

Does anyone know what is causing this? is it a problem with the TV, or is it the DVD player?
Old 01-02-01, 02:21 PM
Banned

What you describe sounds like the contrast is turned up too high, but you claim to have the TV properly callibrated. If you have done the proper setup with Video Essentials or the like, then the problem is most likely with the TV. Since it does it on all connections, it isn't cables, and there is really nothing that the DVD player sould be doing to produce this.
Old 01-02-01, 02:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
And is SVM off? Not sure if this would make any difference, but it might.
Old 01-02-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rechecked my contrast settings and they're fine. I even turned the contrast all the way down and the problem was still visible. I'm stumped.

X what is SMV? (I hope that's not too dumb of a question.)
Old 01-02-01, 04:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Scan Velocity Modulation. A method of making things look more defined, but only introduces edges that weren't in the original.
Old 01-03-01, 01:54 AM
Banned

This is a problem with many TV's. Some people just aren't observant and don't notice it. For example my Panasonic HDTV does this and I know the 53" Sony HDTV does as well. I don't think there is any way to fix it. You just have to live with it.

Check out this thread...as you can see there are many people with the same exact problem you describe:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002457.html

[This message has been edited by David Tibet (edited January 02, 2001).]
Old 01-03-01, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks David. It does sound like a problem I'll just have to live with. As long as I use S-Video rather than component the problem isn't too bad. I just wish I could use the component video for the increased picture quality and not have a banding problem.
Old 01-03-01, 08:58 AM

All Wegas do this! Although I'm not sure about the current XBR's.

I noticed this day one on mine but I notice it less and less all the time since I'm getting used to it.

There is nothing you can do about it, BTW.

Jeff