Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sailor Moon Super S: The Complete Uncut TV Set'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Carl Davis's DVD review of Sailor Moon Super S: The Complete Uncut TV Set at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12833 and I wondered if it was worth pointing out that Sailor Moon SuperS is not really "the fourth and final season". The fifth season, Sailor Stars, is unlikely to ever get a US release, but it does still exist. Of course, this is random splitting of hairs, so feel free to pay no attention to my ramblings ^^;

While I am a huge Sailor Moon fan and really enjoyed SuperS, I can totally see where you're coming from with the review. While SuperS has some of my favourite episodes of the whole series (especially the last Amazon Trio episodes, and the stuff on the last two discs), it also has the longest stretches of the most boring filler episodes of the whole series. While every season contains a mixture of ongoing plot and repetitive filler, SuperS really reached new lows in that department.

The recently-finished live action Sailor Moon series, however, has a continuing story with plot developments in every single episode. Here's hoping that gets an R1 release... but I'm not holding my breath!

Oh, and also: If you reacted that badly to the Japanese audio quality on these DVDs, I dread to think how you'd react to ADV's uncut season 1 box set. Now THAT is bad audio!

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 10-24-04 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 03:08 AM

I really didn't understand why this got a "skip it" rating. If you are spending $100 to get this set, most likely you are a Sailor Moon fan and have seen some of the episodes from this season and are rebuying them on DVD or you are a completist wanting to get all the seasons of Sailor Moon. While it wasn't the best season of Sailor Moon, it was at least a rent to recommended for fans of the show.

It isn't like this is a movie where you have casual buyers making purchases on this in a blind buy, most people who buy these sets for $100 know what they are getting in advance.

Paul
Old 10-26-04, 10:07 AM

While the "Skip It" rating can seem a bit harsh, it's more or less for those who are not familiar with the series. I am a big fan of these Series boxes that have been coming out and have purchased the Cowboy Bebop series sight unseen, as well as, a few others based on positive reviews.

The last two Discs in this 7 DVD set were the strongest by far, as they featured the most critical episodes to the plotline of the series. I probably would have given those two discs at least a "Rent It" suggestion alone, but the Box as a whole I didn't feel was worth a newbie or even a casual fans time without having previous experience of the series.

I did say that fans of the Series would eventually be adding this to their collection, but probably shouldn't start with it. I do agree that since the item is cost prohibitive that it is almost solely aimed at fans of the series, but I stand by my review as the bulk of the Season is made up of repetitive, formulaic episodes with fairly uninteresting villains. Things pick up near the end, but still not enough to win me over.
Old 10-26-04, 10:49 AM

Did you find Season One and Two to be repetitive and formulaic?

Paul
Old 10-26-04, 11:08 AM

One small other thing about the review, there were 200 episodes. The season you reviewed was not the last season of Sailor Moon. It went five seasons.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...i_Sailor_Moon/
Old 10-27-04, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by PaulNJ21
The season you reviewed was not the last season of Sailor Moon. It went five seasons.
I already mentioned that in my original post. In fact, that was the main point of my original post o_o I guess I detracted from it with the subsequent review comments? ^^;
Old 10-27-04, 05:52 PM

Sorry Phillip, my mistake. I did get distracted on the way to making my comment.

I just get the distinct impression that Carl has never really watched Sailor Moon except for this one season before he did this review. Some of the points he makes about not liking the formulatic style when this series has always had a basic formula from episode to episode are a bit striking when that is a practice they have been doing since season one.

I do think Super Sailor S is the weakest season of Sailor Moon though and by no means would I ever recommend this as the first season someone should see if they want to get into Sailor Moon. In fact, you'd probably be best off starting from the beginning, instead of starting last season to the end, like you would with most animes if you want to truly understand what is happening.

Paul