Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Ozzy box tracklist

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Ozzy box tracklist

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
New Ozzy box tracklist

From Billboard.com

A 10-track disc of cover songs will be the gem inside Epic's four-disc Ozzy Osbourne box set, "Prince of Darkness." Due Feb. 8, the 52-track collection will cull studio and live highlights from the Black Sabbath frontman's solo career, unusual collaborations and newly recorded versions of the heavy metal icon's favorite songs.

Among the tracks tackled on the "Under Covers" disc is a version of Mountain's "Mississippi Queen," which features that band's guitarist, Leslie West. Other cuts include King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man," the Jeff Beck Group's "Hi Ho Silver Lining," Mott The Hoople's "All the Young Dudes" and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

The covers disc, which includes guest appearances by former Alice In Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell and "Sacred Steel" purveyor Robert Randolph, closes with Osbourne's 2003 cover of Black Sabbath's "Changes" with his daughter Kelly.

A mix of studio, concert and demo recordings will populate two discs in the box. Studio versions of such notable Osbourne songs as "Crazy Train," "Mr. Crowley" and "No More Tears" will butt up against live versions of classics like "Bark at the Moon" and "Suicide Solution."

Also featured will be demos of "I Don't Want To Change The World," "Mama, I'm Coming Home," "Desire, "Won't Be Coming Home," "See You On the Other Side," "Walk on Water" and "Bang Bang," which is an early incarnation of the song "Facing Hell." The final version appeared on Osbourne's 2001 release "Down to Earth."

Another disc shows the extent of Ozzy's reach as a pop culture icon by showcasing the accurately named "Oddities and Duets." Even before he became a TV superstar through his hit MTV reality series "The Osbournes," Ozzy recorded Black Sabbath songs and covers with everyone from the Wu Tang Clan (on their "For Heavens Sake") and Dweezil Zappa (the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive") to Muppet queen Miss Piggy (Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild") and pop/funk experimentalists Was (Not Was) (on their "Shake Your Head (Let's Go To Bed)").

More than 35 years into his professional career, Osbourne is more visible and popular than ever. As the founder of the annual traveling metal tour Ozzfest, he carries the torch for a new generation of heavy music bands and fans. Through "The Osbournes," he has shown himself dealing with the challenges of being a father and husband.

Next week, MTV will bow the new reality show "Battle for Ozzfest," where he and wife/manager Sharon will evaluate bands competing for a chance to play on the 2005 tour. In January, the network will premiere the fourth and final season of "The Osbournes."

Here is the "Prince of Darkness" track list:

Disc one:
"I Don't Know" (live)
"Mr. Crowley"
"Crazy Train"
"Goodbye to Romance" (live)
"Suicide Solution" (live)
"Over the Mountain"
"Flying High Again" (live)
"You Can't Kill Rock and Roll"
"Diary of a Madman"
"Bark at the Moon" (live b-side)
"Spiders" (b-side)
"Rock and Roll Rebel"
"You're No Different"
"Dee"

Disc two:
"Ultimate Sin" (live)
"Never Know Why" (live)
"Thank God for the Bomb" (live)
"Crazy Babies"
"Breaking All the Rules"
"I Don't Want To Change the World" (demo)
"Mama, I'm Coming Home" (demo)
"Desire" (demo)
"No More Tears" (single version)
"Won't Be Coming Home" (demo)
"Perry Mason" (from Ozzfest live album)
"See You on the Other Side" (demo)
"Walk on Water" (demo)
"Gets Me Through" (live)
"Bang Bang" (original demo for "Facing Hell")
"Dreamer"

Disc three:
"Iron Man" (Osbourne with Therapy)
"N.I.B" (Osbourne with Primus)
"Purple Haze" (Osbourne with Zakk Wylde, Randy Castillo and Geezer Butler)
"Pictures of Matchstick Men" (Osbourne with Type O Negative)
"Shake Your Head (Let's Go To Bed)" (Osbourne with Was (Not Was))
"Born To Be Wild" (Osbourne with Miss Piggy)
"Nowhere To Run (Vapor Trail)" (Osbourne with Crystal Method, DMX, 'Ol Dirty Bastard and Fuzzbuble)
"Led Clones" (Osbourne with Gary Moore)
"For Heavens Sake" (Osbourne with Tony Iommi and Wu-Tang Clan)
"I Ain't No Nice Guy" (Osbourne with Motorhead)
"Therapy" (Osbourne with Infectious Grooves)
"Stayin' Alive" (Osbourne with Dweezil Zappa)

Disc four:
"Good Times" (originally recorded by Eric Burdon)
"21st Century Schizoid Man" (originally recorded by King Crimson)
"In My Life" (originally recorded by the Beatles)
"Mississippi Queen" (originally recorded by Mountain)
"For What It's Worth" (originally recorded by the Buffalo Springfield)
"Fire" (originally recorded by Arthur Brown)
"Hi Ho Silver Lining" (originally recorded by the Jeff Beck Group)
"All The Young Dudes" (originally recorded by Mott the Hoople)
"Sympathy for the Devil (originally recorded by the Rolling Stones)
"Changes" (duet with Kelly Osbourne; originally recorded by Black Sabbath)

I will be passing on this one. I do not want shitty live versions and demos. I do not want duets. I do not want to hear Kelly Osbourne. And I definitely do not want to hear Ozzy (or Rush, or anyone else for that matter) sing "For What It's Worth"
Old 10-21-04, 11:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Ozzy box tracklist

<small>
Originally posted by cdollaz
Among the tracks tackled on the "Under Covers" disc is a version of Mountain's "Mississippi Queen," which features that band's guitarist, Leslie West. Other cuts include King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man," the Jeff Beck Group's "Hi Ho Silver Lining," Mott The Hoople's "All the Young Dudes" and the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."
</small>Well its more than five years since I first suggested it on a newsgroup.

Of course I was hoping that this would be Ozzy and the Sabbaths rather than a solo offering....
Old 10-21-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ever happened to that lawsuit where the original bassist and drummer were recorded out of the older albums when they re-re-remastered them?

And are they still off some of these box set tracks, I wonder.
Old 10-21-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Miss Piggy?

Someone needs their ass kicked over this.
Old 10-22-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
No "When I Close My Eyes Forever" with Lita Ford? That was a biggie -- they should've secured the rights to it away from Lita.
Old 10-22-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ozzy's "Purple Haze" is one of the worst covers I've ever heard and the Miss Piggy thing is not as funny as it could have been. Oh, and his "Staying Alive" is another abomination.

This is a pathetic box set. It includes stuff that other artists would want to bury in the backyard and never hear again.
Old 10-23-04, 06:18 AM

Disc 4 would be interesting to hear but as a whole this set is pretty bad. Ozzy could do a helluva lot better with this release.
Old 10-25-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
What ever happened to that lawsuit where the original bassist and drummer were recorded out of the older albums when they re-re-remastered them?

And are they still off some of these box set tracks, I wonder.
The lawsuit was over songwriting credits. Ozzy (or should I say Sharon) won the lawsuit.

The bass and drum tracks were replaced in order to guarantee that the musicians in question will never again received any kind of royalties from these records. It was a bitter and spiteful act, if you ask me, and it deprived fans from hearing the original versions of Ozzy's best solo work.
Old 10-25-04, 01:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by Gerry P.
The lawsuit was over songwriting credits. Ozzy (or should I say Sharon) won the lawsuit.

The bass and drum tracks were replaced in order to guarantee that the musicians in question will never again received any kind of royalties from these records. It was a bitter and spiteful act, if you ask me, and it deprived fans from hearing the original versions of Ozzy's best solo work.
</small>I agree it was spiteful and destructive. Bob Daisley won an earlier law suit against Jet boss Don Arden, Sharon's dad, which I think clarified certain of his (and Kerslake's?) rights; possibly those relating to publishing. The later re-recording action meant that they'd not get any performing rights: I think there was a suggestion that Daisley was an "artist for hire" rather than a co-founder of the band.
Old 10-25-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. I never knew that story. Yet another reason to be completely over Ozzy. What a loser. Retire already.

I'll keep spinning my Black Sabbath discs and leave it at that.
Old 10-25-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gerry P.

Wow that really sucks. It's obvious that everyone in the band, besides Ozzy, are hired help, but it's a real crime to change audio history like that, especially if you grew up listening to those versions. There were a lot of fans of Bob Daisley out there too, and now we are robbed of his bass playing talent. I think more people would be in an uproar if they re-recorded Randy Rhoades as well.

Last edited by darqleo; 10-25-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-25-04, 11:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

At the risk of taking this waaaaay off-topic....

<small>
Originally posted by darqleo
There were a lot of fans of Bob Daisley out there too, and now we are robbed of his bass playing talent.
</small>Daisley has played with a number of very good bands in his time.

People here might be interested in his latest ensemble's release which, amidst brand new material, includes their own take on some tracks from Blizzard and Diary: http://www.livingloud.com.au

There are plenty of audio clips if you play around at the audio page and wait a while for the download.... I've got the album but if you take a listen online you might agree that the first track is somewhat in the AC/DC vein. Jimmy Barnes apparently is a top Australian vocalist who has been around for a long time and has a very successful recording history.
Old 10-25-04, 01:23 PM

Daisley was more than hired help...he wrote the vast majority of the material as well (just like every other bass player Ozzy has played with in his career). What little respect I still had for him was lost when the re-recordings were done...total joke.
Old 10-29-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What? No "Looking at You Looking at Me"? I've been wanting to hear that song for the longest time. Box set seems like a waste to me.
Old 11-26-04, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Miss Piggy?

Someone needs their ass kicked over this.

Agreed. Probably that bitch wife or daughter of his thought it would be 'cute'.
Old 12-12-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Older fans see it for what it is, an oddity. Seems like it's geared for the hardcore fans who would buy anything Ozzy and the new audience he's picked up with his reality show. Something to throw out there to make some money. Certainly not a set worthy of the lead singer for Sabbath. I won't be buying it but then, I haven't given a moment's thought to buying worse drivel than this, IE Rod Stewart crooning standards CDs.......why people buy this stuff is beyond me.