Joan of Arcadia 10/15/04

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joan of Arcadia 10/15/04

Old 10-15-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joan of Arcadia 10/15/04

"The Cat"

Well, it appears the lawsuit subplot was put on the backburner as Helen's aunt Olive (Cloris Leachman) shows up in time to suffer a stroke and has a hard time allowing the Gerardi's to take care of her. Olive, being an independent free spirit, was having a hard time adjusting to her semi-paralyzed condition, but she comes around, though not until Helen gets fed up and rips her a new one.

God has Joan adopt a stray, wild cat, with much protestations from Joan. Eventually, with Olive moving into her family's home, the cat needed a new home, and Adam eventually wound up with taking in the cat. The eventual payoff is that the cat provides the inspiration for Adam's dreaded pop art homework project, and opens the door for Adam in a career in commercial art.

Luke finally gets Grace to open up to him w/r/t her home situation, her mom is a drunk, which is why Luke has never been invited to her home. When Luke sees Grace after the revelation via Instant Messaging, it's a very heartfelt scene between the two of them.

Joan's psycho friend agrees to go out with Friedman if he can recite "Hamlet" in its entirety. Friedman appears to be up for the challenge...

As aunt Olive adjusts to her situation, her attitude becomes better, and she even gives up the secret recipe for her piaya, and then she flies the coop to return to her free-wheeling ways in search of getting back in touch with her herbal doctor.

Will has to deal with an IA investigation of Roy as being a dirty cop, but it turns out to be 2 of Roy's subordinates, but Roy resigns, and the IA investigator (Annie Potts, I think) ends up taking his job.

Overall a good episode. It was good to see the Gerardi's laughing again after the previous episode were so dark and somber.
Old 10-15-04, 11:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I thought this was a very good episode.

Nice job by Cloris Leachman. The scenees with Helen going off on her and Kevin helping her realize it's ok to ask for help were well done.

I agree about the absence of the lawsuit story helping too
Old 10-16-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was that Annie Potts? I thought so at first, but I think that it might have been her doppleganger instead. I didn't catch the credits...
Old 10-16-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked my recording of it (thoguht that I had deleted it already), and it was Annie Potts.
Old 10-16-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not enough God, but I love the Joan and Luke characters so much it didn't really matter.