Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Live Albums (Your Opinions?)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-01-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know how people here generally feel about live albums. Do you enjoy hearing the songs as much through all the crown noise and such? I for one dont really like them and wouldnt even buy them even if it was from my favorite artist or band.
I walked into CC the other day, saw a new Wu-Tang CD, checked the track listing a noticed all thier hits, about 27 of them. I immediatly bought it, got home and listened to it and noticed it was a live CD. Each song was like no more than 2 mins, what a waste!
Old 10-01-04, 08:24 AM
Banned

I also have live CD's and to an extent some concert DVD's.
Old 10-01-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I like them only if they do it correctly: Full concert, double cd. I hate anything that is excerpts from different tours or shows and it not the full concert.
Old 10-01-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I like them but most don't tend to grab me as much as the studio version.

I got into the Kinks after hearing "One From The Road" and Cheap Trick with the obvious "Live at Budokan".
Old 10-01-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love live albums. I'm not totally sure why, maybe because you know (well, for the most part minus some studio tweaking) that it's how they really sound. It's also neat to hear slightly different renditions of old songs.

I think with the sound too, it's less processed and just all around more strong, and you also have the performer playing to a crowd, which'll also sound different in the way of energy sometimes.

I feel like I'm just rambling...! Okay: Live = Great!
Old 10-01-04, 09:46 AM

I think that in general live albums are good because the band usually has a different energy when they play in front of a crowd as opposed to playing in a studio. On the other hand, the band could just totally suck because they don't really have the use of studio equipement that alters their sound.

Some bands sound good live and some flat out suck.
Old 10-01-04, 10:34 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love them if they are full shows. But I do prefer to have them on DVD rather than CD.
Old 10-01-04, 10:35 AM
Banned

i dont like live cds much but i do like the live nirvana ones.
Old 10-01-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Judas Priest - Priest...Live

Scorpions - World Wide Live

Rush - Live In Rio

These are my favorite live albums by bands that i like i'm not much for the live cd's either, i prefer the studio work by far.
Old 10-01-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For me, a great live CD will always be better than a great studio recording; however, too many live CDs suck, so it just depends on the group and the recording.

das
Old 10-01-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Live Albums (Your Opinions?)

Originally posted by thegame370
I walked into CC the other day, saw a new Wu-Tang CD, checked the track listing a noticed all thier hits, about 27 of them. I immediatly bought it, got home and listened to it and noticed it was a live CD. Each song was like no more than 2 mins, what a waste!
They did a terrible job marketing this CD. I looked at it at Best Buy this week, and I didn't see any indication that it was live. Probably would've been more likely to buy if I knew that...
Old 10-01-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Live Albums (Your Opinions?)

Originally posted by Gdrlv
They did a terrible job marketing this CD. I looked at it at Best Buy this week, and I didn't see any indication that it was live. Probably would've been more likely to buy if I knew that...
On the back of the CD, all the way in the bottom, very small, its say Recorded Live in California, July 17, 2004. Very Small!
Old 10-01-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd probably try to return it saying that you didn't see that small font at the back of the CD
Old 10-01-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love live CDs. Official or not. I love the rawness. I love the different versions of the studio songs. And I love how the energy level is higher on live releases.

Provided it's done right (i.e. full concert, good mix, etc...)
Old 10-01-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm fairly indifferent to Live CDs. If it's an artist I really love I'll get any live CDs they release and enjoy them, but if it's an artist I only sort of enjoy I may or may not. It depends on content, cost, my mood, my perceptions of them as a live band, etc.

However, two live CDs that I couldn't do without are Johnny Cash - Live at San Quentin and Ani DiFranco - Living In Clip. Also, Allison Moorer - Show is fantastic and includes a bonus DVD of the concert, at the price of a normal CD.

Since we're talking about live tracks I want to add that, one thing I usually don't like is the rereleasing of albums with bonus tracks which usually are only live versions of a couple of their greatest hits. Sacrificing a great album's flow by tacking on a couple live tracks at the end is a big no-no for me. I'd like to tell record companies to leave the original album alone and work on releasing a fully realized live/rarity disc instead if they want me to buy more CDs of their prized artists.
Old 10-01-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't.

I absoutely hate when you hear a live song and you hear the crowd singing with the singer.

There is one exception to the sing-a-long of what I have heard, though.

I Might Be Wrong Live Recordings - Radiohead - Idioteque