Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT buffs - LD players and digital out?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT buffs - LD players and digital out?

Old 11-10-00, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parents have a Pioneer LaserDisc Karaoke (I don't know the model number), but I know they bought it in 1992..Does anyone know if this LD player has digital out, or if all post-1990 LD players have digital out for that matter?

Come Thanksgiving, I'm thinking of maybe taking their LD player since they only use it for playing CDs, and buy them a DVD player instead.

Then it'll make my home theater system that much more complete...

any help from any of you home-theater buffs would be greatly appreciated...

[This message has been edited by kaminari (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old 11-10-00, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no guarantee that the LD player has a digital output.
Old 11-10-00, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you look? I have a panasonic that i was hoping had digital but alas it only has rca outs. Check it out. There is no other way to know.

------------------
Read my DVDTalk Reviews Here...
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 11-10-00, 05:56 PM
BEC

W/o more info, we're shooting in the dark.

Here's my shot:

The the mid-level Pioneer CLD504 is a karaoke LD made in 1994-1995: no digital out. I'd guess your 1992 player doesn't have one either.

IF your player doesn't have a digital out, it may be still possible to retro-fit one.
Costs about $215 ($100 DIY) from this company:
http://www.precisionlaserdisc.com/

You get DTS and PCM pro-logic/stereo.
You won't get Dolby Digital 5.1 - i.e. TPM. That requires an AC-3 RF output and separate RF demodulator.

Old 11-12-00, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
since a laser disc does not pass a dolby digital signal thru the digital out i am not sure what you are trying to do. it would need an ac-3 rf output which i am sure a 1992 era player does not have. if you only want to listen to the prologic soundtrack of laser discs using the digital output then i guess it would matter also some commentaries were on the digital track if memory serves me right. I need to use my laser disc player more often.

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 11-12-00, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by gcribbs:
since a laser disc does not pass a dolby digital signal thru the digital out i am not sure what you are trying to do. it would need an ac-3 rf output which i am sure a 1992 era player does not have. if you only want to listen to the prologic soundtrack of laser discs using the digital output then i guess it would matter also some commentaries were on the digital track if memory serves me right. I need to use my laser disc player more often.

<HR>

Even without the ability to play a Dolby Digital 5.1 digital track, any player with a digital output will pass a dts digital signal without a demodulator, provided you have the proper decoding equipment.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
See You Next Wednesday (in Feel Around)
Old 11-12-00, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how many dts laser discs exist that are not on dvd? it it that many? i know the star wars movies, indiana jones and the like are only on laser but are dolby digital and not dts or am i wrong. I have not been following laser discs much for the last few years so maybe the market in laser discs with dts is larger than they were a few years ago.

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 11-13-00, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
There are still a fair number of DTS lasers that are not available in that sound format on DVD (The Shadow, Casper, etc.). Also, most LDs have the Pro Logic track encoded digitally as well as analog and if your player can output the digital track it sounds quite a bit better. Not as good as 5.1 but still pretty darn good and much better than 2.0 tracks on DVDs.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 11-13-00, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by gcribbs:
how many dts laser discs exist that are not on dvd? it it that many?<HR>

Well according to this list, there are 115 available Laserdisc DTS titles (I don't know for sure if this includes all of the Japanese imports though). With 14 of them being available on DVD, and 4 upcoming on DVD, that would leave 97 Laserdisc DTS tiltes not on DVD.

[This message has been edited by Edison (edited November 13, 2000).]