Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What inputs should I use for what devices??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What inputs should I use for what devices??

Old 10-28-00, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a VCR, LaserDisc and Panasonic DVD A120 with component out and I'm getting a Sony 820 DTS/DD receiver with the following inputs:

Connections
Coaxial Digital Input
Optical (TOS-link) Digital Input
Optical (TOS-link) Digital Output
5.1 Channel Input Yes
Optical Digital Inputs 2
Coaxial Digital Inputs 1
Analog Audio Inputs 3

What should I hook up to what? And what cables should I use?

------------------
Read my DVDTalk Reviews Here...
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 10-29-00, 12:35 AM

Hello, Let's go in the order you listed the devices. The VCR is an analog device so you should have a tape loop, in & out. Next your laserdisk player, if it has a digital out use one of the digital inputs if not then use the analog. Now the DVD player has an optical out so that's an easy one. You didn't mention the video signal, the VCR would be a RCA cable in & out and DVD would be S-video from the player and to the TV if your TV has a S connector.
Greg
Old 10-29-00, 01:09 PM

Coax/Toslink Input - DVD player (if it has one)
Toslink input - LaserDisc
Toslink out - None at the moment (CD-Burner, MD Recorder)
5.1 Ch. - None...
Analogue Audio - VCR

Thats pretty much it... Need any help with the Video hookups?
Old 10-29-00, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the receiver you're planning on getting have an input labelled "Laserdisc"? If it doesn't, then it doesn't have an RF adapter, which you'll need to get Dolby Digital out of your LD player.

Just something to look into.

Of course, if your LD player doesn't output DD, or you don't care, you can always use its analog outputs.

-S
Old 10-29-00, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVD has PCM/Bistream optical and coaxial outputs. Should I do coax or optical?

Checking on the LD tonight (it's over at the new place. Oh yeah, I'm also moving.)

It's funny. I have so damn much to say about movies (just see my Fight Club essay) but I have no idea what cables to use to hook stuff up (well, thanks to you guys I have SOME idea).

------------------
Old 10-29-00, 06:44 PM

No, you dont HAVE to get a RF adaptor for DD, you can have digital DTS sound using its existing Optical out! no addons...
Old 10-29-00, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by electronix_kid:
No, you dont HAVE to get a RF adaptor for DD, you can have digital DTS sound using its existing Optical out! no addons...<HR>

Not true if we're talking about a laserdisc player.
Old 10-29-00, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately I forgot to check the back of the LD while I was over at the new place but someone is selling an LD that I believe is the same as mine (I'll know for sure tomorrow) but just for the sake of discussion here are the specs on their's:

PANASONIC LX-101 LASER DISC PLAYER
DIGITAL TBC & 3-LINE DIGITAL YC PROCESSOR
S-VIDEO OUT & MASH DIGITAL AUDIO
HAS RCA OUTPUTS AND VHF OUTPUT

------------------
Old 10-30-00, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The LD has RCA, VHF and S-Video outputs. What does VHF do? THat's not the same as coax, is it?

------------------
Old 10-30-00, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by buskerdog:
The LD has RCA, VHF and S-Video outputs. What does VHF do? THat's not the same as coax, is it?
<HR>

I believe that it's an RF coax output that will allow you to get Dolby Digital out of the LD player.

What you really need to check is if your receiver has an RF adapter (it'd have an input specifically labelled "Laserdisc" if it does).

-S
Old 10-30-00, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The VHF output on the LD is an antenna output, just like on a VCR, for video -- not audio -- so you can hook up the LD through the "cable connection" (for the days before there were "video inputs" on TVs).

Some LD players have no DD or DTS support. Some have a DD RF output (usually a dig. coax. output), which means you'll need to buy a separate component to demodulate the signal before sending it to the receiver. Some LD players have a digital output that requires no demodulation, esp. DTS optical outputs, and you can connect this directly to the receiver.

From the looks of your description, you don't have a digital output listed, so plan on using analog R/L outputs.

Please don't get confused by all of this RF stuff. You can put the VCR on one analog input, LD on another, and DVD to one of the digital inputs. You'll have Dolby Pro-Logic surround on the VCR & LD.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old 10-30-00, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds great. I can't wait to get it hooked up! (I can't wait to get a couch to watch it on either, but hey.)

------------------
Old 10-30-00, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
The VHF output on the LD is an antenna output, just like on a VCR, for video -- not audio -- so you can hook up the LD through the "cable connection" (for the days before there were "video inputs" on TVs).

Some LD players have no DD or DTS support. Some have a DD RF output (usually a dig. coax. output), which means you'll need to buy a separate component to demodulate the signal before sending it to the receiver. Some LD players have a digital output that requires no demodulation, esp. DTS optical outputs, and you can connect this directly to the receiver.

From the looks of your description, you don't have a digital output listed, so plan on using analog R/L outputs.

Please don't get confused by all of this RF stuff. You can put the VCR on one analog input, LD on another, and DVD to one of the digital inputs. You'll have Dolby Pro-Logic surround on the VCR & LD.

<HR>

Chiming in exlusively to agree with DigIt.

It appears you don't have an RF output, so therefore no DD from your LDP.

-S
Old 10-30-00, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds great. I can't wait to get it hooked up! (I can't wait to get a couch to watch it on either, but hey.)
<HR>

Okay, so what will be the first movie you put on and watch (not counting the obligatory demos during the setup process -- I mean the first one you actually watch)?

Old 10-31-00, 06:33 PM

quote:<HR>Not true if we're talking about a laserdisc player.<HR>

Actually it is true. DTS does not need any RF modulators or addons to play. All it needs is any kind of digital output. Itll work for any CD player with digital out, itll work for any LD player with digital out. One of the good things bout DTS, works with your existing equipment.

------------------
A NEW DIMENSION to MP3... Bring life to your stereo system, your computer speakers, your home theater system, any size, any amount of speakers, these high-bitrate MP3s will bring life to your system:

MP3FX - CLICK HERE

Check it out... No matter how good or bad your speakers are, this will give sounds you never thought yout $8 computer speaks could put out!
Old 10-31-00, 08:44 PM
BEC

quote:<HR>Originally posted by electronix_kid:
No, you dont HAVE to get a RF adaptor for DD... <HR>

Kid,

You MUST have a rf demodulator for AC-3, aka DD5.1. This is a problem of nomenclature. Most people take "Dolby Digital" to mean "Dolby Digital 5.1". In your original post, you probably meant:

quote:<HR> you dont HAVE to get a RF adaptor for all 5.1 formats <HR>

You are, of course, correct in stating you can get DTS 5.1 via a digital output.

You can also get Dolby Surround/pro-logic through a LD digital output. Technically, PCM surround/Pro-logic can also fall under the description of Dolby Digital, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old 11-07-00, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What coax should I get for the DVD player? I'm looking on ac4l.com and the prices range wildly from $10 to over a hundred. Any suggestions? My system is not top of the line and I'm using the HT in a box speakers (or i will be). What speaker wire should I use. I don't want to spend more on hooking it up than I did on the system itself.

------------------
Old 11-07-00, 04:56 PM

What coax should I get for the DVD player? I'm looking on ac4l.com and the prices range wildly from $10 to over a hundred. Any suggestions? My system is not top of the line and I'm using the HT in a box speakers (or i will be). What speaker wire should I use. I don't want to spend more on hooking it up than I did on the system itself.
<HR>

Save yourself some big money on your digital coax cable and wire. Go to www.recotondirect.com and pick up the 10' RCA Single Video Cable for $1.99. This cable is no different then any other cable you are considering. Digital coax cables are nothing more then 75ohm RCA cables. I wouldn't go with a better digital coax cable unless your system was running over $10k. As for wire I would also use Recotondirect. You can pick up 30ft of 12awg wire for only $2.99!!! Both these suggestions will be cheap and more then adequate for your sysetm.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited November 07, 2000).]