Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer VSX-D608 and S-Video Switching Questions

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer VSX-D608 and S-Video Switching Questions

Old 10-25-00, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Pioneer VSX-D608 receiver with S-Video switching capabilities, but can't seem to get it to work. I have a DVD player, satellite receiver and will be getting my PSX2 tomorrow. I would like to hook them up, but when I recently tried to hook up the DVD player and satellite receiver it didn't work. I had them connected in the back with an S-video cable going out to my TV (only 1 S-video slot on TV). What am I doing wrong? any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Polekat

[This message has been edited by Polekat (edited October 25, 2000).]
Old 10-25-00, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

give me a little bit more info there.

i used to have this receiver but didn't use the s video on it. from my understanding, if you connect the s video from your dvd and satellite directly to the s video in on the receiver, then connect the s video out on the receiver to the s video in on the tv then you should be set.

is this what you are doing exactly? also...something is reminding me that there may be a switch on the back of the receiver to switch it from composite to svideo...check that too.

cranky.
Old 10-25-00, 12:06 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by crankyman:
give me a little bit more info there.

i used to have this receiver but didn't use the s video on it. from my understanding, if you connect the s video from your dvd and satellite directly to the s video in on the receiver, then connect the s video out on the receiver to the s video in on the tv then you should be set.

is this what you are doing exactly? also...something is reminding me that there may be a switch on the back of the receiver to switch it from composite to svideo...check that too.

cranky.
<HR>

Yeah, that's what I did and the audio worked but no video. I will check the back to see if there is a swtich. Thanks
Old 10-25-00, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no switch. If an S-video cable is connected to an input, it overrides the composite connections. Please elaborate on where you are making your connections. (TV/SAT, DVD/LD, etc.) I've had this receiver for a while now and use it for all my S-video devices (LD, PSX, S-VHS, DBS) with no problems at all.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
Spanish Pantalones
Old 10-25-00, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure that you set your tv so it's using the s-video input. This'd probably be in your tv's menu somewhere.

Most (?) tvs don't auto-sense the source coming into them, and need to be told which input you are using.

-S
Old 10-25-00, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i was just gonna rekommend that.

cranky.

------------------
submit....your photo to http://welcome.to/theOtherForum
Old 10-25-00, 06:20 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
There is no switch. If an S-video cable is connected to an input, it overrides the composite connections. Please elaborate on where you are making your connections. (TV/SAT, DVD/LD, etc.) I've had this receiver for a while now and use it for all my S-video devices (LD, PSX, S-VHS, DBS) with no problems at all.

<HR>

I will try again. I had the DVD in the S-Video for DVD slot, my Satallite in the SAT S-Video slot and PSX in one of the others. I must have done something wrong in there somewhere. I then had one s-video cable in the s-video out which went to my TV.
Old 10-25-00, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Polekat:
I will try again. I had the DVD in the S-Video for DVD slot, my Satallite in the SAT S-Video slot and PSX in one of the others. I must have done something wrong in there somewhere. I then had one s-video cable in the s-video out which went to my TV.<HR>

Make sure the cable that is connected to your tv is set also connected to the 'to monitor/tv' output on your reciever. Other then that...I'm not sure what to tell you. As the other folks have said, make sure your tv doesn't have a setting to switch between composite/S-video. On my Toshiba, S-video overrides composite (not that I have any composite connections, anyway), but your set may differ.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
Spanish Pantalones