Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How do you know when an optical cable is bad?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So the last few days I have been experiencing audio problems on my receiver and dvd player. The audio has been dropping out on kill bill 2 making of feature and numerous episodes on simpsons season 3. I thought these might be the dvds but they work on all my other players. I tried some dvds that I KNOW work flawlessly and had the same problem.

Now, my dvds will have sound BUT only stereo sound it will play. If it is on dolby digital or dts, their will be no dialogue at all, the music and sound effects are still there but not as loud as they should be. So I am guessing my optical cable has gone bad, I have had it since I got my system about 2-3 years ago.

Is this the case? Suggestions?
Old 08-16-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought if a digital cable goes bad it either works or doesn't work at all (unlike analog cables)?

I'd hate to think something is wrong with the decoder chip or something really expensive like that.
Old 08-16-04, 09:56 PM

I hope it is nothing to major. It is late now so I am going to wait to test it tomorrow. I wonder if it is the possibilty of being the center speaker also since no audio dialouge is coming out. I do have the extended warranty on the receiver so if there is something wrong with it, hopefully I can use that to my advantage
Old 08-17-04, 07:16 AM

I wake up this morning and it is working but, dialouge will fade in and out or drop out completely. Hopefully I can get some quick suggestions cuz I am going to try to make it to futureshop tonite to get another optical cable
Old 08-17-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since it is cheaper to replace the cable, I would just go buy another optical cable.

Though I don't use optical ( I use coax), I had S-VIDEO go bad because I kept switching between the 2 DVD players. Apparently, I had "bent" the pin and though it would do its job, The pic would be in black & white instead of color. Replaced S-Video Cable and viola, problem solved.

I did have a chip problem on my cheap APEX DVD player and it would not play a coax (5.1) sound, so I had to use RCA Jacks for that player. But we are talking about a inexpensive player (SVCD).
Old 08-17-04, 08:28 AM

After further tinkering around, I used one of my calibration discs and here is what I found. It seems that the Front Left speaker and the Centre speaker are not functioning as they should. All the other speakers work fine. There is no noise coming out of those 2 speakers but there is a low rumbling sound, sort of what comes out of a sub.

So, I am guessing one of the speaker wire connections could be loose?
Old 08-17-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ElementZ
After further tinkering around, I used one of my calibration discs and here is what I found. It seems that the Front Left speaker and the Centre speaker are not functioning as they should. All the other speakers work fine. There is no noise coming out of those 2 speakers but there is a low rumbling sound, sort of what comes out of a sub.

So, I am guessing one of the speaker wire connections could be loose?
I would also double check the speaker settings on your receiver.
Old 08-17-04, 01:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Fading in and out shouldn't be a sign of a digital cable going bad. You should either get the signal or not, volume wouldn't change unless it was a very smart cable.