Reload this Page >

Question about DTS labeling??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-15-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Hi all! I've just been looking at titles at dtsonline (http://www.dtsonline.com/home&car/ho...dvd-titles.php) and I have a question about what they say vs. what it says on some of the DVD cases which I own.

Example: dtsonline states that 12 monkeys is DTS 5.1, yet on the box it does NOT say a word about DTS, it just says "Dolby Digital - 5.1 Surround". I thought maybe that means DTS, but other boxes say both DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround.

Example: same story with the tin box of Akira.

I could list more examples, but you get the idea. So, I'm asking, do you believe dtsonline to be THE AUTHORITATIVE source for DTS information? Does your copy of 12 Monkeys say DTS on it anywhere?? Do some DVDs use other ways to describe DTS on the box? What gives - help me out here please. I'm trying to make an Excel list of what titles contain DTS tracks.

Oh, by the way, DVDProfiler is not up to date on this type of information, some contributors list it, others do not!
Old 08-15-04, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC 12 Monkeys was one of those that was released w/ 2 editions, one w/ DTS the other w/ features. DTS and DD5.1 are separate/distinct so you should see the notation somewhere on the box if it has it.
Old 08-15-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. How about Akira, also 2 separate releases??
Old 08-15-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Don't know about 12 Monkeys but my tin of Akira doesn't have any info on it. The disc itself is only DD5.1. The dtsonline site is probably listing the newer 1-disc Akira which does have DTS.
Old 08-15-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dtsonline is the definitive list.

If you want the complete list of DTS DVDs from the United States on one page select Region 1 & then click on the letter Z & scroll down to the 4th entry; that is where 101 Dalmations is listed & it is followed by the rest of the 800 or so releases.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 08-15-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-15-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Akira has been issued in several different versions over the years, but one of the newest releases is a "Japanese DTS version". This is the only domestic release for Akira that features a DTS track (to my knowledge), although the English 5.1 mix is no slouch either.
Old 08-16-04, 01:44 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
Akira has been issued in several different versions over the years, but one of the newest releases is a "Japanese DTS version". This is the only domestic release for Akira that features a DTS track (to my knowledge), although the English 5.1 mix is no slouch either.
Correct.

Akira DTS

Akira DD5.1 (Signature Series)

Akira Special Edition

Also, the Limited Edition which has the same specs as the SE except in LE Tin cases. The Akira DD5.1 (Signature Series) is a cheaper, re-release version of a previous movie only addition that came out at the same time as the LE.
Old 08-16-04, 01:45 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

12 Monkey has a DTS version which is OOP now. The DD5.1 version is still available, I think.
Old 08-16-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by eau
12 Monkey has a DTS version which is OOP now. The DD5.1 version is still available, I think.
You are correct sir.