Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP: Subwoofer does not work!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP: Subwoofer does not work!

Old 08-15-00, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Def Tech sub and seem to have some problems with it. When watching a movie with 5.1 soundtrack I don't get anything from my sub. What I have to do is take the cord out of the socket and re-plug it. I took it back to where I bought it from and it tested out fine. My friend said it could be my receiver, which is a JVC-888. could this be a problem or is it the sub? It's getting frustrating since it works at the store but not at home Thanks in advanced!
Old 08-15-00, 08:02 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First you need to eliminate things: Does the sub work with PCM (=stereo) recordings?
If not, there might be a problem with your receiver.

Check the settings for your sub in the JVC's menu. Try re-calibrating the sub and in the worse case, try disconnecting all the speaker cables and leave the sub connected and run a movie.
Old 08-15-00, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Um, when you unplug it and then re-plug it, does the subwoofer then work? You weren't real clear on that point, and if that is the case, your sub might go into a standby mode when it doesn't detect any LFE. It should turn itself on when necessary, so if it isn't "waking up", then either (a) the output on the receiver is faulty or (b) the sensor in the sub is faulty. Did you try letting the sub go into standby mode at the store and seeing if it "woke up"?
Old 08-15-00, 02:30 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
Um, when you unplug it and then re-plug it, does the subwoofer then work? You weren't real clear on that point, and if that is the case, your sub might go into a standby mode when it doesn't detect any LFE. It should turn itself on when necessary, so if it isn't "waking up", then either (a) the output on the receiver is faulty or (b) the sensor in the sub is faulty. Did you try letting the sub go into standby mode at the store and seeing if it "woke up"?<HR>

Well when I first start the movie the light on the LFE sub is not on. To get it to turn on I have to unplug and replug it. Now I watched Leon: The Professional last night, I did this at the beginning of the movie and I had to do it again at the end of the movie. When I took it to the store they plugged it to a Yamaha and the light stayed on even after the receiver was turned off. I stood there for 30 mins just waiting for the thing to turn off. It never did, I had some other errands to run so I couldn't wait. Suggestions?

[This message has been edited by tavarua88 (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old 08-15-00, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not exactly sure how the mechanism works, but I imagine it has something to do with line level. Have you tried turning the subwoofer output "up" on the receiver (and "down" on the sub to compensate)? In other words, have you tried increasing the receiver output to pass this threshold?
Old 08-16-00, 02:23 PM

just tried it and it didn't work, sheesh this is tough, could there be something wrong with the reciever?
Old 08-16-00, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I once thought i had problems with my sub but it turns out that I had plugged it into the wrong output on my receiver. I plugged it into the 5.1 input instead of the sub output.
Old 08-16-00, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm out of ideas, except that at the store it seemed to work, so it's likely the receiver is the problem. You're getting LFE, right? I just don't know why the sub shuts itself off. Sorry--it sounds like you've got a lot of troubleshooting ahead of you. You could put the sub inline with the speakers, but I won't lie, I had that setup and it pales in coparison to hooking up to a dedicated sub output. I don't suppose your DVD player has a sub out?
Old 08-17-00, 02:38 AM

thanks for all the help guys, esp DigIt, I talked to the repair guy next door and after explaining it to him he also concluded it was the reciever. Well looks like it's time to bitch to JVC, again thanks
Old 08-17-00, 02:58 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

tavarua88: since you pretty much ignored my post: before thinking that your receiver is malfunctioning make sure that the settings are correct and double check whether it works with music/PCM or not.
Old 08-17-00, 03:16 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by exm:
tavarua88: since you pretty much ignored my post: before thinking that your receiver is malfunctioning make sure that the settings are correct and double check whether it works with music/PCM or not.<HR>

yes I did try what you suggested, and nothing came out of the sub when playing music, I didn't ignore your post so I'm sorry if I came off like I did. I double checked the settings as well and nothing when it was working before. Anyway I walked to the repair guy for a while explaining the situation and he knew instantly after I explained how it worked. This is not the first time my reciever has given me trouble in less than a year!
Old 08-18-00, 10:19 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Heya, no hard feelings just wanted to double check that all the settings are correct!

Good luck.