Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guillermo's got my goggles!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-26-04, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TomOpus suggested i post here, so I moved this over from "Other". Didn't lose too many significant replies (except for Tom's)

I was standing at a table at the San Diego Con, drooling over a Phil Hale original oil painting, when I noticed that I was standing right next to Guillermo del Torro who was enjoying Jon J. Muth’s original watercolors from Dracula.
I asked how much the Phil Hale was just out of curiosity ($4,200) and when the guy asked me if I wanted to pay now I said “I’d love to if I could. It’s beautiful and (turning to Mr. del Torro) thank you for all your cool movies.”
His face beamed and he shot out his hand saying, “Thanks.” And then said, “Oh. Lobster Johnson goggles.” (I was wearing my Lobster Johnson goggles around my neck). I was like, “Yeah!” (I forgot I had them on). I told him I saw Hellboy 8 times, that I couldn’t wait to get the DVD and thanks for all the other great movies and then walked away.

Then it occurred to me to offer the goggles as a token of my appreciation. I sort stayed in the area and waited ‘til his associate that he was talking to was on the phone and he was sort of just standing there.

I told him that I didn’t mean to bug him but would he accept the goggles as a gift and not throw them out. He said, “Yes! But they look so good on you.”
I said I could build another pair and that the money for the DVD and movies went to the studio and I would feel good to show my appreciation in person. He took them saying, “I’m going to put these in my little Hellboy trophy case.” Then shook my hand again and pulled me in to a big bear hug. He said, “Thank you.” And I said, “Thank YOU! Have a good evening.” And walked away. Happy as Hell.

Between that and seeing 15 minutes of Team America: World Police, 10 minutes of scenes from Sin City and 15 minutes of Sky Captain, Saturday was one of the best days I’ve ever had.

Meeting one of my two favorite film makers ever was the highlight though.

(Here's a blurry picture of me when I owned the goggles.)

Last edited by Kudama; 07-26-04 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool story.
Old 07-26-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Yep, very cool man. It would be cool if one of these days you'll spot him on a DVD extra or on TV wearing the goggles

Sounds like you spent a lot of time in Hall H on Saturday. Very cool for you. I had to leave after Star Wars and it wasn't looking good for getting back in without a long wait in line.
Old 07-26-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Del toro is one hell of a great guy. Meeting him a couple of times he generally looked like he remembered me. Then again he called me by name after the first time so either he has a good memory or is a lucky guesser. In any case, the man is very down to earth and very cool to talk to .
Old 07-26-04, 10:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Old 07-27-04, 01:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Yup. Actually I'm a nostril fetishist and an exhibitionist. This was some kind of elaborate ruse.
Old 07-27-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome dude!!! The description of the day makes it sound like my kind of 'best day ever'.
Old 07-28-04, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by steebo777
Awesome dude!!! The description of the day makes it sound like my kind of 'best day ever'.
I did pay.

Friday: I lost contact with my friend who booked our Hotel (scoped out parks and parking structures to sleep in before I found him at the last frikkin' minute).

Saturday: Acted like a Satyr and that was the day!

Sunday: Underestimated how long I would be at the airport. Spent 9 hours getting home. Exhausted and drunk. (Fear of flying and no medical coverage equals vodka instead of Xanex). It sucked.

I'll say it with no reservation. Saturday was worth it. Satyrs have the coolest days.
Old 07-28-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow you saw Hellboy 8 times?