Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Shows-on-DVD Season Box Sets - any you would skip the 1st season?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-25-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only one I can think of right off the top is Facts of Life. The first season was so different from the rest of the series, and it wasn't just the absence of Nancy McKeon. The 1st Season was such fluff, so silly, and the 2nd Season went at bat to handle really difficult situations, and it had a little more seriousness (the girls get arrested and are essentially sentenced to "kitchen arrest"). Of course, the inclusion of Nancy McKeon as "Jo" and the dismissal of the rest of the "Fluff Girls" was a genius stroke, and I was a fan ever since.j

So once they get around to releasing The Facts of Life, Season One, I will not be on line to pick it up. I will wait for Season 2.
Old 07-25-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, because most of the shows I like have continuity like Deep Space Nine (kind of weak first season but you need the character building) and Farscape.

But then again I only watch/buy Sci-fi shows.
Old 07-25-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I plan on skipping the 1st 3 seasons of Law & Order. I like the first 3 seasons, but not enough to own them. I plan on buying every season from 4 through 11.

I only bought S2 of Smallville. Didn't really care for S1 and I don't think S3 is worth owning either.
Old 07-25-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
I've skipped Simpsons S1, though I have the rest of the seasons. It's just too rough and visually crude for me. I might have got it at $11.99 last Black Friday at BB, but it isn't worth $20 to me.
Old 07-25-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog

I only bought S2 of Smallville. Didn't really care for S1 and I don't think S3 is worth owning either.
same here.

On MASH i skipped seasons 1-6, but may go back later and pick up 5 & 6.
around here up until radar left are the only eps i'm really interested in.

Charlies Angels- never liked FF-M, was always a Cheryl Ladd fan, so thankfully they released the second season.

bought Dick Van Dyke Season One but hated it and sold it off.
i picked up Season Three and will hang onto that one a little longer and eventually pick up one or two more. it didn't hit its stride for me until S3.

On Night Gallery, i would much rather have seasons 2 and 3. i will still buy One just to hopefully show their is enough interest in the series to continue- although there is only 3 or 4 epsiodes on s1 i would consider essential.

Last edited by ckolchak; 07-25-04 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-25-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't skipped a first season of any of the shows I own yet. But then again, I'm a freak about completion on things like this.
Old 07-25-04, 09:38 PM

I'm skipping the first couple of seasons of Boy Meets World, but the ones where they are in high school and college I may pick up.
Old 07-25-04, 09:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Seinfeld! It's a miracle that show survived given how lame the first couple of seasons were. It certainly would not make it today. I won't start buying sets of this show until season 3 or 4.
Old 07-25-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are several shows where I'd skip the last couple of seasons (L.A. Law and Frasier are two that come to mind) but I can't think of any where I'd skip season 1.

Rob
Old 07-25-04, 11:04 PM

I agree with Rob. I know several shows where I would skip the latter (Law and Order) but not the early stuff.
Old 07-25-04, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't really think of any offhand... usually if I'm going to buy into the show I'm going to buy the whole thing, otherwise I just rent it.
Old 07-26-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just can't do it. I need all or none.

Movies I can control myself from buying garbage sequels/prequels, but TV for some reason I cant.
Old 07-26-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Married with Children.
Old 07-26-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Married with Children.
Same here, 2nd season is when it started for me...
Old 07-26-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I skipped the first season of X-Files, and I have seasons 2-6. Mostly because, while season 1 is not bad, it has too many stand-alone "monster-of-the-week" episodes. Things pick up and get good in season 2. Season 6 is hit and miss (so I got it cheap) and 7-9 are just bad.
Old 07-27-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
On MASH i skipped seasons 1-6, but may go back later and pick up 5 & 6.
around here up until radar left are the only eps i'm really interested in.
I'm surprised to hear you say that. Most people would be more interested in the early seasons of MASH, before MacLean Stevenson left. In fact, I've thought about getting just the first three seasons, and skipping the rest. (Haven't bought any of them yet...)
Old 07-27-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff
I'm surprised to hear you say that. Most people would be more interested in the early seasons of MASH, before MacLean Stevenson left. In fact, I've thought about getting just the first three seasons, and skipping the rest. (Haven't bought any of them yet...)

Yeah, although for me, my 'cutoff' is the Frank Burns exit. I like Winchester and those years but not nearly as much. MASH was at its best with Larry Linville.
Old 07-27-04, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, all the shows I own, I have the first season,
I am expecting to skip the first season of Happy Days, because I think it is just to corny.
(Of course, season 1 of Happy Days is still better than the latter seasons without Richie yet with those stupid Roger and Chachi characters.)
Old 07-27-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I skipped the first season of X-Files, and I have seasons 2-6. Mostly because, while season 1 is not bad, it has too many stand-alone "monster-of-the-week" episodes. Things pick up and get good in season 2. Season 6 is hit and miss (so I got it cheap) and 7-9 are just bad.
I thought this myself about 7-9 but now that I am watching them straight through for the 1st time since seeing them on TV, I'm thinking that those seasons aren't that bad. Season 7 & 8 are actually plotted out fairly well considering Duchovny's sudden departure.

As for season 1 being "monster-of-the-week", I think you're terribly mistaken. The entire "conspiracy" storyline runs throughout the 1st season with Deep Throat. "Trust No One"

I'm glad I own all of them. There are too many through-lines in the story to not have all the seasons... and then there's the 2nd movie...

Last edited by rfduncan; 07-27-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Decker
I've skipped Simpsons S1, though I have the rest of the seasons. It's just too rough and visually crude for me. I might have got it at $11.99 last Black Friday at BB, but it isn't worth $20 to me.
I'll agree with The Simpsons. I didn't care for any of the 1st 3 seasons.

Good thread topic BTW
Old 07-27-04, 05:52 PM

The FACTS

I passed on the first season of DS9, but for financial reasons. I'll eventually pick that one up, esp. if I can find a copy with its Best Buy bonus disc included.

As for skipping the first season of the Facts of Life, are you mad?! That may be the only season I DO get! Two words: Molly Ringwald.

"There's a place you've got to go for learning
all you want to know about the facts of life.
The facts of life.

"When books are what you're there about
and looks are what you care about
the time is right,
to learn the facts of life."

Everybody!

"When the world never seems
to be living up to your dreams

/Everybody!

"it's time you started finding out
what everything is all about

"When the boys you used to hate you date,
I guess you best investigate
the facts of life you gotta get'em right
the facts of life,
the facts of life,
the facts of life"

For me, that is the TRUE theme song. All others are impostors.

And don't get me started on the first season of Happy Days!

CDE,

CS
Old 07-27-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Re: The FACTS

Originally posted by BasiaMille
And don't get me started on the first season of Happy Days!
That's the only time you'll see Chuck!
Old 07-28-04, 08:48 AM

I'd skip the first and fourth series of Black Adder. The first is hardly funny at all and the fourth is overwhelmed by pathos.
Old 07-29-04, 03:03 PM

Well, I wouldn't skip the first season of the Mary Tyler Moore show because apparently that's the ONLY BLOODY SEASON WE'RE GOING TO GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to get that off my chest.

mud...
Old 07-29-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I wouldn't skip the first season of the Mary Tyler Moore show because apparently that's the ONLY BLOODY SEASON WE'RE GOING TO GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They really need to rethink that one, while the 1st season did not sell well, it also came out before the TV on DVD craze took off. I can't fathom that there is a market for crap like Who's the Boss, Touched by an Angel & Punk'd, yet not enough of a market for the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.