Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTS, What to choose? How to pair?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS, What to choose? How to pair?

Old 07-24-00, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading all the praises about DTS, I am drooling all over it. I really want to expierence it too!
Right Now I only have a Sony DVPS550D dvd player.

For speakers, currently I am leaning toward the Energy Take 5 w/ exl 8" sub package offered at soundpros.com at about $595.

I am having a very hard time to choose a receiver. There are so many different models out there, I have no idea how to choose one that is most compatible with the dvd player that I own and the speakers that I am leaning toward. I am totally lost.

Mainly I want to use it to watch movies. I prefer not to purchase HT in a box as most posts in this forum think it is a bad idea. Beside, I think I would get a better learning expierence by looking at each product seperately.

In summary, my budget is about $1200 (willing to fork out a bit more) for the receiver and the speakers. Please give me some suggestions about possible pairing of receivers and speakers with my DVD player.

Thank You So Much
Jerry
Old 07-24-00, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to budget $600 for your speakers, then you'll have a LOT of money left for a receiver. Your DVD player should work with most DTS receivers.

If you've got $600 to spend on a receiver, take a look at something like the Denon 2800, or one of those nice new receivers by Outlaw Audio. Either of these should be more than enough for your Energy Take 5 speakers.
Old 07-24-00, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you like to keep it all in the familiy, try the Sony DB940 receiver, a great bang-for-the-buck value.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs