Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Columbia House or BMG Music Clubs Recently? [duplicate]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Anyone use Columbia House or BMG Music Clubs Recently? [duplicate]

Old 07-01-04, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use Columbia House or BMG Music Clubs Recently?

I've belonged to both back in the day. BMG seems to have better selection but a lot of recent titles you can't selected in the initial free offer. CH doesn't have any restrictions but it doesn't have some artists like U2 and nothing other than pop, at least on their web site, while BMG has other genres.

The tricky thing seems to be shipping for each CD, taxes and some other fees which may not be divulged up front. I think CH said $2.99 per CD shipping plus taxes (do they tax at the regular price, meaning you're paying 8% on $15 or more?). This is also on the initial "free" CDs that you get for joining.

BMG seems to have a better deal, 12 CDs and you only have to buy one at regular prices. But I couldn't tell what they charge for shipping and how they tax.

Any other considerations from people who've used them recently?
Old 07-01-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CH works out a bit cheaper, but I think you end up with 18 or 19 CDs. I think not all of their titles are visible if you're not a member. I find I prefer BMG's selection though; I've joined BMG 5 or 6 times in the past couple years, and CH only once to get some artists BMG doesn't carry like Genesis.

There's a thread somewhere in the DVD clubs former about this.
Old 07-01-04, 05:07 PM

From the "Hot Deals" forum...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=354625

General opinion is that BMG's selection is better than CH's, while CH can occasionally have a better overall deal.
Old 07-02-04, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, you should probably add both threads from the "Music Talk" and "Hot Deals" forums to your favourites lists. there are a number of us constantly updating both with the best bets.

BMG is leaving CH in the dust now. they have new items added to the catalogue every week, and the 12 for 1 deal seems to be the best all around, with constant sales, and way better customer service.
Old 07-02-04, 08:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum, wco81.

There is a link to Music Talk's "one and only" clubs thread in the DOs & DONTs thread stuck atop this forum.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk