Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My system just doesn't sound like it used to?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My system just doesn't sound like it used to?

Old 07-06-00, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my HT system for about a year now, maybe longer, and it just doesn't sound like it used to. I have a Polk RM7500 speaker package and a JVC RX888 receiver. (I think)
I'm at work right now, so the receiver isn't in front of me.

Have any of you had similar problems?

Thanks in advance for the plethera of advice.
Old 07-06-00, 05:05 PM

What exactly do you mean it doesn't sound like it used too?

If your system has been installed for a while there may be some oxidation on the (rca) cables. Unplug them and look for "rust" on them. Using a little rubbing alcohol and plugging/unplugging them in a couple times would take care of this problem.

It could be electronics, speakers, or both. I would suggest checking the speaker for signs of wear and tear. Maybe a torn cone or foam surround. If you play a receiver to clipping, usually the first thing to go is the tweeter. Maybe the powered sub isn't pulling it's own weight anymore.

If possible check out the speakers on another receiver to make sure they are o.k. If they are, then it's electronics. Heat may be taking it's toll on the receiver/ source.
Old 07-07-00, 12:40 AM

Daledude has the right suggestion, i just want to add a few things. It's a good ideas to do a lite maintenance on the exterior of all your components periodically. especially, on nickel plated connectors on the back of your receiver and other components you have. Oxidide prevent your cables from getting a clean connection. But, b4 you start cleaning them, make sure you unplug all your component and after cleaning them allow them to dry b4 you plug it back up. Hehehe, wetness + electricity = a big no no. I normally use isopropyl alcohol, it doesn't leave residue after it dry.