Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Tips for Front-projection system

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tips for Front-projection system

Old 06-15-00, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beginning to think about picking up a front projection system, something around 3k or so. What are the brands that I should take a look at, what types of features etc should I be looking for?

The next question would be about screens, do certain models work better with different screens?

Thanks for any advice.

Geno
Old 06-15-00, 08:27 AM
Cool New Member

Seleco is one of the leading brands as far as home cinema projectors are concerned. Brightness in ANSI Lumens is one of the key features, since this will determine how dark your room has to be to be able to see the picture. I would go to a dealer to check it out though, since you can't really get an idea of the size and flexibility, and most importantly the picture quality unless you book a demonstration.

Take a look at:
http://www.sim2.it/index2.html http://www.dcavs.com/seleco.htm http://www.dvdplayers.webprovider.com/seleco.htm

------------------
Click here for a great new forum on HIFI and
Home Cinema.
Old 06-15-00, 02:30 PM

Geno: Try the AVS Forum. Most of the folks over there are really into front projectors. http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
Old 06-15-00, 06:29 PM
Banned

I don't have a FP, but I've read a lot about them, and AVSforum or Hometheaterforum are the places to read.

From what I know, single chip DLP projectors are the way to go. The most popular one is from a company called Dreamvision, and I think the model # is DL500, it's really a hot item right now.
Old 06-16-00, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone for the pointers!

Geno
Old 06-16-00, 11:54 PM
SS

I have a front projector and believe me when I say you can't get into it for 3K. The screen costs 1K and a doubler is needed if you go with a CRT. The new DLP technology is good and costs around 6K and doesn't need a doubler but still needs a screen. If you get into a front projector you will love it. i have a 10ft screen and a Vidikron projector and love it. CRT systems are hard to converge while DLP are plug and play. CRT's have the best picture but need low ambient light in the room. CRT's weight over 100 lbs While DLP weight 20-30 lbs. I think DLP is really taking off.
Old 04-07-01, 03:57 AM
Cool New Member

I've been checking these out and $3000 is surely obtainable. DLP-Infocus 340 (SVGA-800x600) for $2700 new. NEC VT 540 LCD XGA for $2995 refurb with 2 yr warranty. I'm also checking on a Sharp M10 for around $1800 new that may or may not work for OK for home theater. Check out John Andrews at ABigPicture for some good deals.

You need to search projectorcentral.com and avsform.com for sure and do some research. Some people are in for $1500 on good deals. No these aren't the latest,greatest but they will do fine until the "ultimate" price points come around in a year or so.

The digital front projectors require some room control(light) and setup and don't provide the true HDTV resolution but they provide one heck of a TV,game,DVD picture.

Good luck! John