Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Generations SE details

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-18-04, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

direct from Digital Bits

Look for the 2-disc set to include the film in anamorphic widescreen video (1.85:1) with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio (no kidding). Disc One will include audio commentary by screenwriters Brannon Braga and Ron Moore, along with another text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda. Disc Two will include The Star Trek Universe section (A Tribute to Matt Jefferies, The Enterprise Lineage, Captain Picard's Family Album and Creating 24th Century Weapons), the Production section (Uniting Two Legends, Stellar Cartography: Creating the Illusion and Strange New Worlds: The Valley of Fire), the Visual Effects section (Inside ILM: Models and Miniatures and Crashing the Enterprise), the Scene Deconstruction section (Main Title Sequence, The Nexus Ribbon, Saucer Crash Sequence), the Deleted Scenes section (Orbital Skydiving, Walking the Plank, Christmas with the Picards and Alternate Ending) and an Archives section (storyboards, a production gallery, and the teaser and theatrical trailers). All in all, looks like a damn fine DVD.
good to see they're including the alternate ending. looking forward to seeing that.
Old 06-18-04, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is fantastic news! I've been waiting for this disc for what seems like forever. I am also looking forward to the deleted scenes.

But a DTS track? Way to go Paramount.

Ian
Old 06-18-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1.85:1? My widescreen VHS copy is closer to 2.35:1. I hope that's just a typo.
Old 06-18-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So does that mean we get an insert this time?
Old 06-18-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Figures Paramount wouldn't offer DTS for the films starring the original crew, which are the only ones I ever wanted to own. Oh well, I just hope this is a sign they're willing to support DTS audio on more of their titles.
Old 06-18-04, 08:21 PM

Paramount hasn't actually issued an official press release yet, so as far as I know the specs are from DVDEmpire at the moment. Not sure how reliable they are for disc specs! The official artwork is here though if you're interested...
Old 06-18-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Doughboy
Figures Paramount wouldn't offer DTS for the films starring the original crew, which are the only ones I ever wanted to own. Oh well, I just hope this is a sign they're willing to support DTS audio on more of their titles.
MOFO please, DTS on TOS movies, are you on crack?
Old 06-18-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
I know Undiscovered Country at least would sound great in DTS.

This release is very good. Only thing more we could have asked for is a director's cut. Seriously, looking at the specs on the bits, with that other space opera just below it, I kinda looking forward to this more than "those".
Old 06-18-04, 11:45 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking forward to this one, hopefully the alternative ending is similar to the book. I'll probably buy the all the next gen SE (expect for part 9).
Old 06-19-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Trek DTS
Old 06-19-04, 04:52 AM
Banned

Damn it! I bet they'll rerelease 1-6 in DTS now...bastards! I could care less about the TNG movies...
Old 06-19-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fok
Looking forward to this one, hopefully the alternative ending is similar to the book. I'll probably buy the all the next gen SE (expect for part 9).
It's been a really long time since I've read it, but
Spoiler:
didn't the story in the book involve the borg?
Old 06-19-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Considering the current state of "the franchise" (God, I hate that word.), combined with the fact I've already bought individual releases of TOS, this'll probably be the final Trek DVD I'll buy in a long, long time.

A depressing thought.
Old 06-19-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet, DTS if it's true but why not on the earlier ones like VI?
Old 06-19-04, 11:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by FatTony
It's been a really long time since I've read it, but
Spoiler:
didn't the story in the book involve the borg?
I think that's a Shatner book that takes place after Generations.
Old 06-19-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that was the Shatner book where he is resurrected after Generations... i forget the title though.,

Edit: its called THE RETURN.

Journeying to the gravesite of James Kirk, a mourning Spock is alarmed when he learns that the Borg have brought Kirk back to life for the purpose of hunting down and killing Jean-Luc Picard.

book description:
Veridian III: A world has been saved, the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D lies in ruins, and one of the galaxy's greatest heroes rests beneath a simple cairn of rocks on a lonely hillside. But as a legendary Vulcan ambassador comes at last to the grave of his best and dearest friend, the adventure is only beginning.

The Borg and the Romulan Empire have joined forces against the Federation, and their ultimate weapon is none other than James T. Kirk, resurrected by alien science to destroy the Borg's most formidable enemy: Jean-Luc Picard.

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 06-19-04 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-19-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Davis DVD has this up for specs...

Paramount, PG, 117 min, $19.99, 09.07.04
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.40:1)
Audio: English (Dolby Digital 5.1); English (Dolby Digital 2.0); English (DTS 5.1)
Audio Commentary with screenwriters Brannon Braga and Ronald Moore; Text Commentary with Michael and Denise Okuda; The Star Trek Universe (A Tribute to Matt Jefferies, The Enterprise Lineage, Captain Picard's Family Album, Creating 24th Century Weapons); Production Uniting Two Legends; Stellar Cartography: Creating the Illusion; Strange New Worlds: The Valley of Fire; Visual Effects: Inside ILM - Models and Miniatures; Crashing the Enterprise; Scene Deconstructions: "Main Title Sequence," "The Nexus Ribbon," "Saucer Crash Sequence;" Deleted Scenes: (Orbital Skydiving, Walking the Plank, Christmas with the Picards, Alternate Ending); Storyboards; Production Gallery; Teaser Trailers; Theatrical Trailers (this is a two-disc set)
Old 06-19-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan

book description:
Veridian III: A world has been saved, the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D lies in ruins, and one of the galaxy's greatest heroes rests beneath a simple cairn of rocks on a lonely hillside. But as a legendary Vulcan ambassador comes at last to the grave of his best and dearest friend, the adventure is only beginning.

The Borg and the Romulan Empire have joined forces against the Federation, and their ultimate weapon is none other than James T. Kirk, resurrected by alien science to destroy the Borg's most formidable enemy: Jean-Luc Picard.

Wow, this really sounds horrible! Just how the hell does Spock go to Kirk's grave? I know Vulcan's have long life, but they don't live forever!
Old 06-19-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Considering the current state of "the franchise" (God, I hate that word.), combined with the fact I've already bought individual releases of TOS, this'll probably be the final Trek DVD I'll buy in a long, long time.

A depressing thought.
I'll be getting this one as I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, I feel your pain as First Contact will be the last Star Trek DVD I'll be buying. I already sold my Insurrection bare bones dvd and don't plan on replacing it. As for Nemesis, I didn't care for it either.
Old 06-19-04, 08:11 PM
AOD

Star Trek news from VB...

"A flood of titles will let loose on Aug. 31. Those include: an eight-disc collector's set of the first season of the original Star Trek series, the first season of Touched By An Angel and the South Park episode "The Passion of the Jew" (on the same day as Fox's DVD debut of The Passion of the Christ). Also set for the last day of August are the second season of I Love Lucy, Survivor All-Stars and special editions of the movies The White Dawn, Twisted and Trekkies 2, among others.

Trekkies also will be thrilled to see the rest of Paramount's slate, which includes the two-disc, seven-episode Star Trek: The Next Generation--Jean-Luc Picard Collection (Aug. 3). And in Sept., there's Star Trek Generations--Special Collector's Editions, and Star Trek: Voyager--The Complete Fourth Season."
Old 06-19-04, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
Wow, this really sounds horrible! Just how the hell does Spock go to Kirk's grave? I know Vulcan's have long life, but they don't live forever!
Vulcans age quite well. Spock was alive and appeared in the 5th Season TNG episodes Unification 1 and 2. that was about 2 years before the events in Generations. TNG takes place about 90 or so years after the events in the first 6 films. i think most Vulcans are supposed to live something like 200 years, so it's reasonable that Spock could live to see Kirk's grave.

Last edited by Grabastic; 06-19-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-19-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I think he was like 130 or so in the TNG unification episode...
Old 06-19-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if this means that First Contact and Insurrection will have DTS as well.

You'd have to pay me to get me to buy Insurrection though. That one sucked.
Old 06-21-04, 06:27 PM

I can't believe the people who disliked "Insurrection" actually liked "Generations," which, to me, is the 2nd worst Star Trek movie of them all, next to Star Trek 5. The first half of the movie had great promise and just deteriorated into a big steaming pile of crap.

Bringing back the legendary Captain Kirk from the Nexus so that he can have a fist fight???? What the hell??? And bringing him back only moments Soran can execute his plan, rather than buying himself some time. Ludicrous!!! The greatest love of Kirk's life being some woman we've never heard of, when it clearly should have been Dr. Carol Marcus!!! Ludricrous!!! Riker walking out of Picard's ready room into an absolute black hole (which should have been the Bridge). Did someone not pay the electric bill on the Enterprise D? Ludicrous!!!

That said, I thought that "First Contact" definitely belongs in the top two or three of the entire movie series (alongside "Wrath of Khan" and "The Undiscovered Country.")
Old 06-21-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But Insurrection had the backdrop of the Dominion War and all of the amazing stories that could have been told but instead was about some lame hippie aliens and their fountain of youth.

According to Digital Bits, Paramount has confirmed that DTS will be a feature as well as DD 5.1 EX.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.