Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reservoir Dogs

Old 06-10-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Reservoir Dogs

I just finished watching this after a blind buy and have to say that I really don't get all the love for it. I didn't think it was the best movie ever as some people seem to think. It was good but not as great as people claim.

Maybe I just don't get it. I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan anyways.

Thought? Comments? Flames?
Old 06-10-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my top five. Great film. Tarantino's best work yet. Did you see it before or after Pulp Fiction? I find that most, even though they wont admit it, come into Reservoir Dogs looking for Pulp Fiction 2. The movie seems kinda plain and boring to them.

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 06-10-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 08:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts
i guess it is not for everyone. but we are not allowed to flame on these boards though if we were you would. QT and RD are incredible masterpieces to cinema.
Old 06-10-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Maybe you saw it with all the hype and praise making you expect some master piece. for what it is it's a great flick. Maybe a little dated by time and the fact that a lot of films worked off that. Sorta like you saw the films that were inspired by it in one way or another and just didn't like the origin of them.. then again you may have answered your own question:

I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan anyways.
Old 06-10-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Maybe you saw it with all the hype and praise making you expect some master piece. for what it is it's a great flick. Maybe a little dated by time and the fact that a lot of films worked off that. Sorta like you saw the films that were inspired by it in one way or another and just didn't like the origin of them.. then again you may have answered your own question:

I didn't think it was really dated and it was really well done great acting great directing but I thought that others have done better in the same genre. For instance I thought that Usual Suspects was much better.

I just don't get all the love for Tarantino. He is a good director but he isn't some kind of visionary like everyone (including himself) says.

Oh and flame away I don't mind. What specifically was so good about the film?
Old 06-10-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Reservoir Dogs is an amazing film, I'm not going to get into any details on it though because you are barely a fan but I do want to say that it is one of my favs of all time and I consider it a classic.

I also think it's pointless to really go any further with this as well, If you're not really interested than why bother?
Old 06-10-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tanman
What specifically was so good about the film?
The script, the performances, the pacing, the music, the camera work, and the ending.
Old 06-10-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
The script, the performances, the pacing, the music, the camera work, and the ending.
I agree with most except for the music I didn't care about. I think my problem with him is that I need more then good directing acting and dialogue. I need an interesting plot to wrap my mind around. I just don't care about the characters in his films so I don't really end up in awe over his films.
Old 06-10-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rival11

I also think it's pointless to really go any further with this as well, If you're not really interested than why bother?
Mainly because I want to know why my opinion differs so much from everyone else. I don't get why everyone drools over his every move. On the other hand I don't necessarily hate his films either so I guess I am odd in this respect. People usually either love him or hate him.
Old 06-10-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with most except for the music I didn't care about. I think my problem with him is that I need more then good directing acting and dialogue. I need an interesting plot to wrap my mind around. I just don't care about the characters in his films so I don't really end up in awe over his films.
Many great films are just there to show a small story and what happend. Fargo, for example, has very little character development but it is still great. Do you not like Fargo?

Oh and the music was the shiznit.

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 06-10-04 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mainly because I want to know why my opinion differs so much from everyone else. I don't get why everyone drools over his every move. On the other hand I don't necessarily hate his films either so I guess I am odd in this respect. People usually either love him or hate him.
Fair enough and I'm glad there is no mindless bashing in this thread
Old 06-10-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I didn't think it was really dated and it was really well done great acting great directing but I thought that others have done better in the same genre. For instance I thought that Usual Suspects was much better.

I just don't get all the love for Tarantino. He is a good director but he isn't some kind of visionary like everyone (including himself) says.

Oh and flame away I don't mind. What specifically was so good about the film?
Not going to flame, nor was the rolleyes pointing that way, but when you say you don't typically like QT films and you ask why you didn't like this film.. you just have to ask yourself why you just answered your own question.

I think the matter of dating on the film is that a lot of films after it used the guns pointing at each other scenerio. So you may have been over saturated with that fact. Like I said, it's an older film that has been picked apart by other film makers and those pieces they take have been expanded to bigger films and used in different ways so you may have felt like a lot of it was done already.

As for tarantino himself. He is great at doing that which I said, taking pieces of other films that worked and then expanding on them to make them work good. While they are not originally his items, he makes them work for a mainstream audiance.

another thing that some folks disliked about Reservoir Dogs is the fact that you never see the hiest. not sure if that was an issue for you or not.
Old 06-10-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it has to do with character development. I really appreciate this aspect of films when a character changes and grows while the film progresses.

What did everyone think of Dusk till Dawn? I thought it was horrible, just two poorly concieved movies wrapped into one.
Old 06-10-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You may also want to try and watch it again if something somebody says in this thread makes you think twice. It's Just a suggestion and I mention this because of your questions.
Old 06-10-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it has to do with character development. I really appreciate this aspect of films when a character changes and grows while the film progresses.

What did everyone think of Dusk till Dawn? I thought it was horrible, just two poorly concieved movies wrapped into one.
Like the phenominal character development in The Usual Suspect?

Dusk till Dawn really fell apart in the 2nd half. 1st half was great.
Old 06-10-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Like the phenominal character development in The Usual Suspect?
I was thinking about that but there is still some (sudden) character "development" with the gimp and there is also the role of the detective who is trying to catch Soze. Overall it had a much more interesting plot and I was much more involved with the characters in that movie.
Old 06-10-04, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overall it had a much more interesting plot and I was much more involved with the characters in that movie.
I feel the exact same way. I just recently saw Reservoir Dogs and found myself comparing it to Usual Suspects.

I liked Reservoir Dogs, but it felt empty and felt like something was missing. It seemed to go by really fast and it was hard to keep my interest. It had a good plot, but I think Tarantino messed around with the order of events a little too much and that took away from it (waits too long to go back and explain things). Great acting from a great cast. The movie as a whole wasn't so great but seems to have influenced a lot of other filmmakers.
Old 06-10-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Dusk Till Dawn was one of the funniest, most surprising, well scripted, great f/x, just all around films I have ever seen.

Absolutely one of my favorite films of all times.
Old 06-10-04, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

I think the matter of dating on the film is that a lot of films after it used the guns pointing at each other scenerio. So you may have been over saturated with that fact. Like I said, it's an older film that has been picked apart by other film makers and those pieces they take have been expanded to bigger films and used in different ways so you may have felt like a lot of it was done already.

Not to take anything from QT or RD, but I think the "gun pointing" scene was actually QT borrowing from Leone. So your idea about other films using this particular scene from RD is not giving credit where credit is really due.
Old 06-10-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Reservoir Dogs

Maybe I just don't get it. I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan anyways.
HERESY!!! BLASPHEMER!!!

Summon the angry mob!
Old 06-10-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by cross
Not to take anything from QT or RD, but I think the "gun pointing" scene was actually QT borrowing from Leone. So your idea about other films using this particular scene from RD is not giving credit where credit is really due.
I also did say that QT likes to take pieces from other folks films and expand on them. Usually the originator of a specific film piece is not the one that makes it famous. Say for example Bullet time or backwords story telling.
Old 06-10-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think some people just like...don't appreciate the same things. I've never been a Usual Suspect fan particularly...all that and in the end you've got no idea what happened...not exactly my idea of an interesting story. But it works for others.

Reservoir Dogs...I love it cause the characters are so rich, the dialogue snaps, the direction really good. I think it's QTs least film, kind of rough on the edges, but it's excellent. And the plot...well I thought it was great, small or not.

But chalk it up to different tastes. If you don't like QTs other stuff, I don't see why this would be much different.
Old 06-10-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, different strokes for different folks. You will especially not like something if you don't like the creators other works and you walk in being over hyped about it. oh well.
Old 06-10-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jaeufraser
I think some people just like...don't appreciate the same things. I've never been a Usual Suspect fan particularly...all that and in the end you've got no idea what happened...not exactly my idea of an interesting story. But it works for others.

Reservoir Dogs...I love it cause the characters are so rich, the dialogue snaps, the direction really good. I think it's QTs least film, kind of rough on the edges, but it's excellent. And the plot...well I thought it was great, small or not.
Case in point, I enjoy the Usual Suspects a lot more than Reservoir Dogs. I think the Usual Suspects has a great script that relies on the viewer to pay close attention to what is being said throughout the film. The ending explains the motive of Soze & who he is but requires the viewer to recall events & dialogue during the film to put everything together.

Reservoir Dogs is just a taste of what Tarantino would do later to more success.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 06-11-04 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-11-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
Case in point, I enjoy the Usual Suspects a lot more than Reservoir Dogs. I think the Usual Suspects has a great script that relies on the viewer to pay close attention to what is being said throughout the film. The ending explains the motive of Soze & who he is but requires the viewer to recall events & dialogue during the film to put everything together.

Reservoir Dogs is just a taste of what Tarantino would do later to more success.
I pretty much disagree with everything you just said. A twist ending doesnt make The Usual Suspects a smart film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.