Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What Is The Best Way To Collect TV Shows when you have a huge list?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide which is the best way to collect TV Shows on DVD. I have a huge list. I am trying to get all my TV Shows bought then like my box sets and down to single DVD. I have a huge list and you can see it for yourself here

Which is the best method, do you think is to collect huge amount TV Shows on DVD?

Season by Season - Collect all the shows you want by the season. Collect all the season 1's and when you get all of them you continue on to season 2, etc

Show by Show - Starting aphabetically or any order you want. You collect all the sets of the show and when you get to the end of the show or the show that has all the releases out of the show so far.

by Release Date - Collect by the oldest release date or visa versa

Other Method - What Other Method do you prefer?
Old 05-25-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Show by Show sounds like the best idea IMO.

Start with shows that have the complete series already available so you can watch those and enjoy the series as a whole before moving on.
Old 05-25-04, 07:53 PM

Other Method- I try to get the most expensive ones first, its just a relief knowing the most expensive item I want is out of the way. If money doesnt matter I say collect by the oldest release date like you stated.
Old 05-25-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple years ago, I just got the shows I absolutely needed as they were released. Starting earlier this year though, I changed my method of buying. Right now I'm getting the most expensive shows first, and working my way down. For example, I'm working on completing my X-Files collection now... Just recently bought Taken, and next on the list will be Farscape and the ST series.

I'm a penny-pencher, and with the recent exception of X-Files Season 5 at DDD, only buy on eBay. I just buy them as soon as I find a reasonable season that is definitely not a bootleg for a price that I'm willing to pay.

That seems to be the most reasonable way to do it now that so many shows have been released. I think one would go insane trying to buy all the Season 1's of all the shows they want. Definitely not something I could see myself doing.

So I'd say go show by show... And since it sounds like you plan on doing more than just filling out the gaps of shows you'd like to own eventually, get the ones you want the most first.
Old 05-25-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find it best to get the new releases as they come out. You can get some great deals during the first week. I was able to get Jetsons Season 1 for 30.43 and Smallville season 2 for $34.43 on the first day.
Old 05-25-04, 08:08 PM

I don't agree with buying the most expensive first. Since then I would've bought all the Xfiles and would've been screwed whenever there's a price drop. Personally I do show by show, not sure why.
Old 05-25-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start at the beginning, until you get to the end...
Old 05-25-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First, I'd buy all the sets on my wishlist that I can find by joining the Columbia House TV Club.

Then, I'd just buy what I want whenever a great deal presents itself.
Old 05-25-04, 09:22 PM
bga

If you wait until the last season is released, you might never get any seasons after the first (like, the Mary Tyler Moore show).
Old 05-25-04, 09:39 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait until you hit lotto.

Start completing your favorite shows first.
Old 05-26-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have got to the point where I have all the box sets that I want to get now. I try to get them the day they come out, so I don't end up having a huge list later on.
Old 05-26-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by dgc
Wait until you hit lotto.
Start completing your favorite shows first.
I agree. In addition, it is a balancing act between price and availability. I'm a big Speed Racer fan but there was no way I was going to spend $300 for the complete set offered a few years ago. Now they're being released at VERY reasonable prices.

I love Star Trek:TOS but I wasn't going to pay $15 for a 2 episode disc. I will hopefully buy a more reasonably priced boxset when it is available.

I'm a Lost In Space fan, so I had to jump all over the season one boxset when it was released.

I also suggest prioritizing by shows that are no longer in syndication (or easily viewable). So if you were deciding between "The Munsters" and "Friends" (why anyone would want to buy Friends is beyond me...but that's another thread) I would suggest "The Munsters" first.

The exception of course is, Seinfeld.
Old 05-26-04, 10:29 AM
Banned

I try to buy them as they are released. However, I may have to put off a purchase a month or two because of a month of other heavy DVD purchases.

Right now, I want to buy ST: VOY, but with those sets being around $100, I can't afford them. So I'm putting those purchases off for next year or so. I've got about 3 or 4 series I'm working on right now, with 3 of them finishing up this year or early next, so that's why I going to hold off on the VOY sets.
Old 05-26-04, 12:31 PM

That's a darn good question! One that I'm sure many of us are struggling with. The shows are coming out too fast and furious to keep up.

I've already started collecting these shows (key word being "start"): X-Files, Simpsons, Friends, Mad About You, Married With Children, Party of Five and Futurama (plus a few for the wife - Jeffersons, Three's Company). And I can point to probably 4 or 5 other series that are announced (or out already) that I'd like to get. There's no way I can keep up with all of them.

Sure, it would be great to have them all. At this point I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and sell some of the shows so that I don't spend more money on more seasons to complete them. The one I really, really want is X-Files and I started buying those when they hit the market but I've only got 2 seasons. Now that the price has dropped I plan on getting the rest.

As someone else mentioned, whether or not the show is in syndication affects my decision now. I realized that I can watch Friends on TV probably between 2-4 times a day now so I'll probably hold off on those for some of the others.

The other problem with collecting all these shows is - when do I watch them? Sheesh. That's another thread though (and there are threads about unwatched DVDs "as we speak"). You buy enough of these season sets and you can have hundreds of hours of TV watching lined up with no problem. I just don't have that kind of time.
Old 05-26-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by starving dvder
I have got to the point where I have all the box sets that I want to get now. I try to get them the day they come out, so I don't end up having a huge list later on.

Generally the way I am. For example, I may get ST:TNG sets on DVD at some point, but I don't need to have them now.

One exception is ST:TOS - I was not willing to play their game of paying $15 for every 2 episodes. I figured I'd wait for season sets and now that patience will pay off.
Old 05-26-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What it really comes down to for me is if I can find a good deal. After spending $82 on the first 7 seasons of X-Files I was kind of hessitant to spend that kind of money on TNG, DS9, VOY, TOS, Farscape etc. Thankfully I got all 7 seasons of DS9 for under $70 each and pretty good deals on the first 2 Farscape box sets. TNG, TOS and VOY are on hold until Paramount gets a clue and lowers the prices a bit.

It does suck waiting at a cliff hanger until you can find a good deal but just think the money saved can buy you more seasons in the long run
Old 05-26-04, 06:59 PM

The first TV set I bought was either Buffy or Simpsons season 1 (which ever came out first), and since then I just buy the sets on the week of realease because, there cheaper, and it's easier to keep track (espeically now with over 20 shows).... And also if you go series by series, it will be kindof hard, because alot of series are not complete and you could get lost again (The only series that I know of as being complete are Star Trek: TNG and DS9, X-files, and Dark Angel).
Old 05-26-04, 07:40 PM

I go show by show... Of course, I only own DVDs of two different TV shows though. I bought the King of Queens Season 1 set, then bought the 24 seasons 1 & 2 (never saw these before, first one was a blind buy and loved both seasons) then bought the King of Queens Season 2 when it came out. My next TV buy will probably be 24 Season 3 later this year. But if I were you I would buy them show by show.

BTW, don't know if you know this or not, but the links to your DVD collection in your sig don't work
Old 05-26-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the show/shows you are most interested in first. Also keep an eye out for first week deals. Buy season one nad two of whatever show and save 20 bucks.
Old 05-26-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buy a DVD recorder and start recording/editing/burning the shows you like so you don't have to purchase them in the future.
Old 05-26-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, I would also say to look for deals. Or, just make a big wheel with all of your shows on it and spin.

BTW, I would suggest adding "Mr. Show" to your must-buys folder.
Old 05-26-04, 09:51 PM

Buy a DVD recorder and start recording/editing/burning the shows you like so you don't have to purchase them in the future.
I do this, but I still buy my favorite shows, because of the special features and much higher quality.
Old 05-27-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by critterdvd
I do this, but I still buy my favorite shows, because of the special features and much higher quality.
It's all about the $.
Old 05-30-04, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
BTW, don't know if you know this or not, but the links to your DVD collection in your sig don't work [/B]
Thanks for the reminder, I changed it so it works. So you can take a look at it now
Old 05-30-04, 01:20 AM

I buy them when they're on sale.