Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

it's 5/04: Free Shipping expected back anytime soon?

DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Old 04-27-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, its just about May.
just joined up again and was wondering when the last Free shipping promo was.
i thought they usually ran one around April but i couldn't find any mention of one.

wouldn't mind ordering ROTK as one of my fulfillments, and i will, unless i should hold out for a few more weeks.

weren't they running free shipping promos every 3-4 months?
Old 04-27-04, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last free shipping promo just ended Mar 22nd. It'll be a few months before it comes around again.
Old 04-27-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

figures.

next one should be around late June/July then.

might as well finish this account up.
good think i only have 2 to buy.
Old 04-27-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is that free shipping will return in late May or in June. You might want to wait until the last day to order RotK just in case free shipping does return.

Free shipping: late November to late December. Late February to late March. Will the pattern continue? Who knows?
Old 04-28-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lizard
My guess is that free shipping will return in late May or in June. You might want to wait until the last day to order RotK just in case free shipping does return.

Free shipping: late November to late December. Late February to late March. Will the pattern continue? Who knows?
I am holding off until the very end on RotK just in case there is free shipping then (fingers crossed).
Old 04-29-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just completed my agreement with ROTK and Girl with The Pearl Earring.

yeah, free shipping would have been nice, but i'm quite satisfied with a $7.75/ title average- especially since they are all titles i've wanted for a while as well as two brand spanking new ones i was always planning to get.

i'm sure i will open at least one more account before free shipping rolls around again.
as long as there is a code to void it on the enrollment package, that helps the most anyway.
Old 05-01-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny, I just got free shipping on Tues.
Old 05-02-04, 10:06 AM

How you get free shipping? Cant find it on any accounts!!! Waiting for it to fulfill my requirements.
Old 05-02-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by love_DVDs
How you get free shipping? Cant find it on any accounts!!! Waiting for it to fulfill my requirements.
Maybe I'm just superstitious, but I have a system that has yet to fail me. I find that if I place my fulfillment order within 16 hours of receiving my "You've been approved" email, I always get much better deals. The first time I log into my account, it is always 50% or $10 off and although free shipping is never listed, I always get it when I go through the checkout process. I also almost always order two DVDs that streeted the previous week at 50% off and two preorders at $19.95 to act as my fulfillments.

For example, I received my approval Tues morning and by lunch had ordered Stuck on You and Big Fish for $10 each and Last Samurai/LotR for $19.99 with the webdvd discount thrown in for good measure. No shipping was charged.

If I miss the 16 hr window, the regular deals start to pop up on my account such as the standard 40% off and I have to start paying for shipping.

This is of no use to people stuck with open accounts right now, but it may be something you want to pay attention to in the future. I highly doubt it's tied to a PSN or anything like that ...
Old 05-03-04, 04:04 PM

Wow! I just got my approval email this morning. I added 3 dvds and it gives me free shipping. Awesome. Thanks!
Old 05-12-04, 10:18 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BigPete
Maybe I'm just superstitious, but I have a system that has yet to fail me. I find that if I place my fulfillment order within 16 hours of receiving my "You've been approved" email, I always get much better deals. The first time I log into my account, it is always 50% or $10 off and although free shipping is never listed, I always get it when I go through the checkout process. I also almost always order two DVDs that streeted the previous week at 50% off and two preorders at $19.95 to act as my fulfillments.

For example, I received my approval Tues morning and by lunch had ordered Stuck on You and Big Fish for $10 each and Last Samurai/LotR for $19.99 with the webdvd discount thrown in for good measure. No shipping was charged.

If I miss the 16 hr window, the regular deals start to pop up on my account such as the standard 40% off and I have to start paying for shipping.

This is of no use to people stuck with open accounts right now, but it may be something you want to pay attention to in the future. I highly doubt it's tied to a PSN or anything like that ...
Has anyone else gotten free shipping consistently in the initial 16 hour timeframe? I'm surprised their was so little reaction to BigPete's post.
Old 05-12-04, 10:58 AM

Yes, the last time I did a 23E deal, I noticed great terms when I logged in to my account within a few hours of receiving my approval email. I can't remember what the terms were, but they did include free shipping for 3.

I bought 3 right away, but later that day I noticed my account reverted to the standard "40% off with regular purchase" deal that comes in all enrollment packages, and no free shipping. Needless to say, I was glad I acted when I did (except I forgot to use $5 off -- grrr!).
Old 05-12-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't been able to try this out yet, but I think it's valid. I did notice the last time I was accepted and went to login immediately via the email, that there was also no director's selection to respond to. This appears to be an account that is not quite setup yet. There appears to be a lag between the time that they send you the email and when they set up your account with its initial offers.

Way to pay attention BigPete! I'm trying this soon.
Old 05-13-04, 11:17 AM

Man, I wish I had read this thread yesterday.

I got approval on a new account yesterday morning. Checked now and I've got the standard 40% off deal, no free shipping.

Guess I'll have to start trying this next time around. Meantime I think I'll chill on the fulfillments for a few days to see if a free shipping deal pops up.
Old 05-14-04, 04:54 PM

I can confirm BigPete's post. My last account in March I received free shipping for fulfillments doing this. I just applied for a new account Wednesday & received the welcome to the club email today, so I just tested this theory out again and it worked again. For the record here is what I got...

Lord of the Rings: ROTK 19.95
Bubba Ho-tep 19.95
Near Dark 11.95
--------------------
Total: $51.85

- 5.00 web
+ 2.82 tax
--------------------
Total: $49.67

$49.67 + 18.45 (enrollments) = $68.12 or $7.57 per disc
Old 07-22-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Flawless execution once again.
Old 07-22-04, 08:19 AM

Flawless execution once again.
Same here. The first time I did it I didn't know how until I saw your original post about it.
Old 07-22-04, 11:05 AM

My account (it's several months old) now has free shipping if you spend $39 or more. Details:

This month, GET UNLIMITED DVDs AT 40% OFF when you buy one at the regular Club price of $19.95 or higher. (Plus shipping and processing.)

* A discounted Set or an Upcoming Release -- purchased at $19.95 or higher -- can also act as your qualifying purchase.
* Your sale selections must be of equal or lower value to your qualifying purchase of $19.95 or higher.
* Some exceptions apply. Upcoming Releases, Sets, and other specially priced items will not participate in your regular offer as a sale item.

Get DVD Collector's Sets at up to 30% off List Price -- with no other purchase required!

Order early and save more on Upcoming Releases!
Pre-order these highly anticipated titles for as low as $19.95 each -- then, you can take Unlimited DVDs at 40% off!
Special Bonus:
Free Shipping & Processing when you spend $39 or more on DVDs (before sales tax)!*
This is in addition to your regular offer. But hurry – this offer ends soon! Video Games and Leonard Maltin’s 2004 Movie & Video Guide do not participate in this special offer, however there may be separate special free shipping & processing offers associated with these products.
*Orders of less than $39 will be subject to standard shipping & processing charges.

These offers expire as of the date on your Order Card. All selections are limited to two copies per title.

Guaranteed Greats - Movies That Will Move You - Or Your Money Back!
Visit our Guaranteed Greats Specialty Shop for a complete list of cinematic gems that come with our highest recommendation - and a money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied after viewing, just call 1- 800-262-2001 or email ([email protected]) Customer Service within 30 days of your purchase to return for a full refund.

No Sweat Sale
DVDs as low as $7.48 - no other purchase necessary
Offer expires 8/2/04 at 11:59pm
Old 07-22-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by cloudnin
My account (it's several months old) now has free shipping if you spend $39 or more.
My account now has the same kind of deal, except that I have to spend $50 or more to get it. Hmmmph!
Old 07-23-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume those using BigPete's method did their applications over the web?

Any phone apps I do invariably don't send a confirmation email...
Old 08-02-04, 12:59 PM

The first time I log into my account, it is always 50% or $10 off and although free shipping is never listed, I always get it when I go through the checkout process.
BigPete,

I just tried this, and the $10 off is showing up (my account was approved a couple hours ago). However, when I get to the checkout screen, shipping is shown as being charged. I have gone as far as the screen where I need to hit the place order button, but have not actually placed the order yet.

Are you saying that once I place the order shipping will go away? When you were on the checkout page, were shipping charges shown? I feel funny hitting place order assuming shipping charges will go away, unless I know that's how it worked for you.

Thanks.

-Zutton
Old 08-02-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Zutton-
Every time that I've done this method in the past, the shipping would always show up as free. You might want to call in your order. I would be wary of hitting the submit button with the shipping still being charged.
Old 08-02-04, 05:26 PM

I'll try the call in, since the site won't give it to me (which really sucks - everything else is just as others posted). I doubt that it will work on the phone though as this is an unofficial bonus.

-Zutton