Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help with my Toshiba 4900 hack

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Need help with my Toshiba 4900 hack

Old 05-09-04, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with my Toshiba 4900 remote hack...Please

I am sorry for starting another thread on this matter but I wanted to be sure it was seen and not passed over...

I recently purchased a 4900 and last night I tried to watch the region 2 Delicatessen with the remote hack. I know there is a way to make it permanently region-free with the burned CD and all, but I do not currently have a computer to do it so it will have to wait...In the meantime, I want to use the remote hack to watch other regions.

I put in Delicatessen and when the "Check Region Coding" message came up, I pushed "Menu", then "1", and then "Play", but the only thing I got was a little red not allowed symbol (circle with diagonal hash mark through it) in the right hand corner. I pushed display and tried to pick a track, then play. No good. What am I doing wrong? I even tried pushing the buttons simultaneously. Please help. I bought the machine from Frys about a month ago. Is it possible that Toshiba fixed the hack? Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks....

Last edited by AmonTwin; 05-09-04 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-09-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had no problem playing Delicatessen. I just hit top menu, menu, ad nauseum, until it started. This is, of course, before I used the CD to fix the problem permanently.
Old 05-10-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts
You might have to repeat the patterns a few times. The permanent solution is much better, you should implement it as soon as you can get a CD to alter the region setting.
Old 05-11-04, 10:34 PM

Regarding the CD solution - is there any danger of this causing permanent damage to the player? I have been leary of doing this for that reason.
Old 05-12-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts
No, as long as you use a good CD image, there's no danger of damaging the hardware.
Old 05-12-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely do the CD. I've got a 3900 (same player, just doesn't do DVD Audio) and I did the CD. It beats having to fight with it to play a disc. With the extremely high quality picture and a trouble free region hack, this has got to be the best player I've ever owned. You can have it when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Old 05-12-04, 10:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. I finally got it to work with the [Top Menu] [1] and am now able to enjoy the beauty that is Delicatessen. Now the only problem is where to start with all the other titles I want from other regions...Am so excited to finally be able to get more DVDs....Thanks to everyone for turning me on to this player...