Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else's Wal-Mart doing this?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

The Wal-Mart near me has been putting "spiders" on their DVD boxed sets. (A "spider," in case you don't know, is a security device that has thin cables that wrap around boxes like a ribbon.)

What's particularly disturbing is that they have these things wrapped so tightly around the boxes that they damage the boxes. The cables cut into the boxes about a quarter of an inch on every edge they're in contact with and make the boxes look like shit. They have these on "Alien Legacy," "X-Files," "Buffy," "Angel," "24," and just about every other boxed set priced at over $40.00.

Also, it looks like they have an alarm on them (there's a big round disc that has a red LED that blinks every few seconds) which means the boxes can't even be placed back-to-back in any practical way, and makes the boxes prone to falling off of the shelves. Further damaging them.

Brilliant.

Note that I generally dislike Wal-Mart, but I'm not going to drive an additonal sixty miles to buy toilet paper and cleaning supplies at Target.
Old 04-26-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My local walmart started using the alarming spider wraps about two months ago. I suppose they have to put them on tight otherwise they'd slide right off.

I've never really bought any box sets at Walmart, usually not any cheaper than anywhere else i shop....i only go for new releases and the $5.50 bin...and toilet paper
Old 04-26-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Spider Wraps" will be showing up in "certain" Wal-Mart stores soon.
Old 04-26-04, 02:58 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let their boxsets collect real spider webs...
Old 04-26-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My local Walmart doesn't use them. They keep their box sets in glass cabinets.
Old 04-26-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Wallyworld here has been using them for some time. The funny thing is that they must not have enough of them, so you'll find two copies of say "Alien Legacy" one with and one without. Hmm . . . if I were a thief I'd definitely pass up the one without and try to get those strings off!

Another thing I've noticed sporadically is the big plastic encasement like they use at Sam's Club. Again, what good is sporadically though?

Old 04-27-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my WalMart just starting using them....they are on just about every box set they have
Old 04-28-04, 08:31 AM

My Walmart, which opened a bit over a year ago, began using spider webs, but has since ceased. What they have done instead, on a few popular box ses, is to display an empty box and making customers ask an employee to go in back to get the real one.
Old 04-28-04, 03:14 PM
Retired

Originally posted by resinrats
My local Walmart doesn't use them. They keep their box sets in glass cabinets.
Same here.

All DVDs, other than the bargain bin and the rack with $14.99 and under movies, are in glass cases at the wal-marts around here (DC/Baltimore area).
Old 04-29-04, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Same here.

All DVDs, other than the bargain bin and the rack with $14.99 and under movies, are in glass cases at the wal-marts around here (DC/Baltimore area).
Which ones? I know that the WalMart in Laurel has just about ever security feature available, but go to Arundel Mills, and there is none.
Old 04-30-04, 09:55 PM

I haven't noticed my Wal-mart using spiders, but I fully expect to see them soon. By the way, what is so great about the toilet paper prices at wal-mart? I do just as well if not better at my local grocery store.
Old 05-02-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The store I work at uses spider wraps for its DVD box sets. If I'm putting out the DVD sets, the spiders are the last thing I use, or I put them on boxes that aren't as easily damaged (Band of Brothers, Scarface). We normally just use plastic boxes for security, but sometimes we just don't have enough.

I don't believe spider wraps were originally intended to be used for DVDs. I remember reading that they were original intended for high shrink items commonly found on sales floors like computer upgrades, game systems, etc., not small collectibles like DVDs.
Old 05-03-04, 02:02 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It doesn't make sense to use those spider wraps on DVD box sets. It's not like you would throw away the outer boxes like you would with computer upgrade, game systems, etc.
Old 05-03-04, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your local Wal-Mart stores are using their Spider Wraps properly they shouldn't be hurting the DVD boxed set boxes when they are applied to the merchandise.
Old 05-03-04, 03:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by icondude
Which ones? I know that the WalMart in Laurel has just about ever security feature available, but go to Arundel Mills, and there is none.
The Laurel one is the one nearest me, though the last time I was at the Arundle Mills one (a couple weeks ago), all the DVDS (minus the cheap $15 and under racks) where locked behind glass doors.
Old 05-03-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Locked behind glass = no sale for me. I don't care how good of a deal it is. Meijers finally quit doing that here, as did K-Mart.
Old 05-05-04, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The Laurel one is the one nearest me, though the last time I was at the Arundle Mills one (a couple weeks ago), all the DVDS (minus the cheap $15 and under racks) where locked behind glass doors.
First off, the Wal-Mart in Laurel totally sucks. I mean unless you don't mind empty sheves and long lines at the register. I've noticed in the tool department the Laurel stors has tons fo stuff behind glass that Arundel Mills has out in the open. I haven't been to the new one in Columbia yet.
Old 05-05-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People are going to steal from WalMart anyway...what's with the spider wraps?
Old 05-06-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
People are going to steal from WalMart anyway...what's with the spider wraps?
Hopefully they won't be able to get the sets out of the store the way the spider wraps have been made for Wal-Mart.
Old 05-06-04, 11:47 AM
Retired

Originally posted by icondude
First off, the Wal-Mart in Laurel totally sucks. I mean unless you don't mind empty sheves and long lines at the register. I've noticed in the tool department the Laurel stors has tons fo stuff behind glass that Arundel Mills has out in the open. I haven't been to the new one in Columbia yet.
Yeah, I rarely ever go to the Laurel Wal-mart, it's a total ghetto store. I just go to the Target across the street, even though everything is more expensive there.

You're right about tools, but the DVDs are behind glass in both stores.

I didn't know there was a new Wal-mart in Columbia. Where's it at?
Old 05-11-04, 01:00 PM

My Walmart doesnt do this yet...or the glass windows. When they start putting them behind glass is the day I stop shopping for DVDs there. I usually grab a few adn walk around, then decide which ones to buy. Plus it would take ages to get help most of the time, and no one wants a disgruntled employee looking over your shoulder the whole time while you're thinking about the purchase. I hate feeling like I'm being hounded like a potential prisoner with a military guard just to shop for a freakn dvd.

What mine does is has the little black strip inside, then the outside shrinkwrapped, with the protection stickers on all three sides. Unfortunitely more times than not removing these stickers damages the cases slightly. They need to figure out a better way to safeguard.
Old 05-11-04, 09:08 PM

Not only is my Wal-Mart using them, but so is my Best Buy.

I know that theft is a big problem, but isn't this going a little too far.

So they protect the box sets, but not the cheaper DVD's. What is going to stop someone from taking 10 or so $10 or $15 doillar DVD's that are in the aisle outside of the electronics department, going somewhere secluded, taking the discs out and walk away. And stealing at least $100 worth of DVD's?

And who in their right mind is going to buy something that is already damaged? Maybe people who either don't notice or don't care. Or people who only care about the movies and could care less about the package condition.

Next time I want to buy a box set, I'll probably buy on-line.
Old 05-12-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I buy 80% of my box sets online, and the other 20% from Costco.

My WM does "selective protection" with regard to the spiders. For example, ER season one has them but the new release Season Two does not.

The prices on Box Sets at WM can easily be beaten elsewhere anyway, so this is just icing on the cake as to why I don't by them there.
Old 05-12-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine hasn't and I hope they don't.
Old 05-12-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Gunshy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.