DVD format war!

Community
Search

DVD format war!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD format war!

Maybe we should save our money. DVDs will soon be obsolete.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/pte....ap/index.html
Old 04-19-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=359350
Old 04-19-04, 03:17 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
I'm already saving, man! I say you what....it is so tough!
Old 04-19-04, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Man, I hope they open a new "HD Speculation Threads" forum here so that the main forum doesn't get overrun with this stuff.
Old 04-19-04, 05:27 PM

Man, I hope they open a new "HD Speculation Threads" forum here so that the main forum doesn't get overrun with this stuff.
I agree.

They should do the same for the "KIll Bill" threads.
Old 04-19-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Soon

I am glad I do not have to worry about the money I spend on DVD's.
Old 04-19-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jough
I'm getting a little bored with all this "dvds are worthless...or will be soon" crap. instead of enjoying the current dvd format, people are just way too excited about killing off current libraries. my dvd library will be here for quite some time and even the switch-over will be a very long project. many of my more rare titles will be very safe for severel more years...as they will not be a priority to rush out when the next format comes along. this is coming from a guy who still has to keep a few tapes around because they are still MIA on dvd.

lets get this current format under control first...whaddya say? manufacturing issues....pakaging...all the stuff people are bitching about...still. perfect this one before rushing in to screw up the next.
Old 04-19-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gutwrencher
I'm getting a little bored with all this "dvds are worthless...or will be soon" crap. instead of enjoying the current dvd format, people are just way too excited about killing off current libraries. my dvd library will be here for quite some time and even the switch-over will be a very long project. many of my more rare titles will be very safe for severel more years...as they will not be a priority to rush out when the next format comes along. this is coming from a guy who still has to keep a few tapes around because they are still MIA on dvd.

lets get this current format under control first...whaddya say? manufacturing issues....pakaging...all the stuff people are bitching about...still. perfect this one before rushing in to screw up the next.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 04-19-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Always nice to see Geoff penetrating the news.

I agree. I bought VHS' here and there. But, for me, DVD's are here to stay. By my own standards, I have a very well rounded collection, and maybe it'll turn into a library someday.

Geoff is right. A progressive scan DVD player and a nice TV will get you right next to what a film looks like on the big screen. I just don't see a reason to ever upgrade.

I don't see DVD's being sufficently topped in the next ten years.
Old 04-19-04, 10:29 PM

why do people feel the existence of hd-dvd have to kill off dvd?

why do people feel like in order to buy dvds that hd-dvd can not exist and be enjoyed by others who do want it? no one is forcing anyone to upgrade either.

if hd-dvd were to end dvd production, then that would mean hd-dvd software and hardware would be at the same price point as dvds (because the market would have to be that big for hd-dvd to kill dvd), thus what would it even matter to people whether is was hd-dvd or not? the upgrade would be transparent and dvds could still be played on an hd-dvd player (which would be sub $100 if dvds weren't made anymore) but everything would be priced the same.

do people still hang on to their lds? yes. so why must your dvds suddenly explode when hd-dvd comes? the dics physically look the same even and be put on the same shelf.

finally, there is a noticeable difference in quality (for most) with the right equipment.

Last edited by Rubix; 04-19-04 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
Always nice to see Geoff penetrating the news.

I agree. I bought VHS' here and there. But, for me, DVD's are here to stay. By my own standards, I have a very well rounded collection, and maybe it'll turn into a library someday.

Geoff is right. A progressive scan DVD player and a nice TV will get you right next to what a film looks like on the big screen. I just don't see a reason to ever upgrade.

I don't see DVD's being sufficently topped in the next ten years.
To say that a progressive scan player comes close to the big screen is a stretch. You are just losing way too much resolution. On a 32 inch TV you might not be able to tell the difference but on screens that are 50 inches and larger the quality starts to drop fast.

There are three deciding factors (that I can think of right now) that will be important to the success of a new format(s)

3. The studios have to give full support in a switchover from dvd to whatever new format. They will because they want better copyright protection on their software. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the first generation HD-dvds packaged with regular dvds just to spark interest in the format. If they really want to push a new format all they have to do is price the hardware evenly with regular dvd players. Most people will buy the one with the new buzz. You also have to remember that most of the name titles have already recieved High Definition mastering and will not take as long to be released.

2. The sales growth of HDTVs. Having seen a lot of High Definition programming and D-VHS I can say that many people will want their $20 dvd to have better quality than their local news station. I'm on that list myself. The question is how many sets will be out there in the next three years?

1. The impact of possibly having two formats once again is somewhat unpredictable. CDs stayed around over superior formats for a multitude of reasons other than just being "decent enough". I believe it's pure economics as to how long dvd has left.
Old 04-19-04, 11:00 PM

Good article.

I wonder what are the chances of a copmay being able to release a player than can play both high def DVDs and Blu Ray
Old 04-20-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
I'll bet people were making the same claims that Laserdiscs were more than sufficient too. I'm always looking forward to new advancements. I just wish I had the dough to be an early adopter. Hopefully these things will be as cheap as DVD a few years down the road.