Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Official (Legal) Releases Available for Download

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-19-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if there's a website currently dedicated to this sort of thing, but I've noticed that many artists are putting tracks from new albums or live performances or whatever up on their official web sites for download. Since we all represent a fairly diverse collection of musical interests, I thought it would be nice to build a list of downloadable audio/video that we have run across on the official web sites of our favorite (or least favorite) artists or concert sets available from the web sites of local radio stations or anything else that qualifies as LEGAL.

I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping this thread clean. Please, no wink-wink posts of questionable content.

I'd like to think I have a pretty wide range of musical taste, but in our Clear Channel dominated radio culture (or Road Rules vs. Real World on TV), it's difficult to find new and interesting tunes. I often read the "Introduce Some Music to Everybody" type threads, but as I'm a lazy git, I don't end up following through without a link. So this thread's for links. New bands, new singles, old classics, whatever ... just so long as it's legal. It should be noted that the point of this isn't to create some massive database of all the music in the world, but simply to organize some of the favorites of forum members.

If there's enough interest, I'll try to keep an updated list at the top of the thread.

To get the ball rolling, I'll start with some random stuff I ran across in some recent recommendation/discussion threads around here.

das

PS. Here's a list of legit onlline muisc services where you can purchase music tracks legally:

Music Match
Napster.
RealOne Rhapsody
Apple iTunes
BuyMusic.com
Old 03-20-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For pearl jam

www.theskyiscrape.com

they host a slew of newly remastered Pearl Jam releases. These were once released on bootleg cds a while back but these guys get a hold of some pristine audio sources and remaster them. Go check it out. So far they've had Atlanta 4/3/94, Wash. DC 9/19/1998, Red Rocks, CO 6/20/1995, some acoustic stuff from the bridge school.

You have to download bittorrent to get these. Great stuff!
Old 03-29-03, 10:08 AM

the "Brides Of Destruction" have 9 full length songs up on their site. That is Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue) and Tracii Guns (LA Guns) new band.The tunes are excellant.Very raw and punkish.
www.bridesofdestruction.com
Old 03-31-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

here's a thread where I post links to *legal* mp3s of music I recommend

Bands

Essex Green

Okkervil River (don't miss the 4 files in the left frame)

Yo La Tengo

At the Close of Every Day

Decemberists

Labels

Matador Records

Super XX Man

Kill Rock Stars

Badman Recording Co

Double Agent Records

Magic Marker Records (mp3s at most or all of the band pages linked on this page)

Tiger Style Records (warning: music plays when you open this link; mp3s are found on individual band pages)

Monitor Records

Hush Records

Looking back at this list, it seems like a whole lotta twee madness. So be it. Consider this a warning, I guess.

Last edited by stevevt; 04-01-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-01-03, 10:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

If proof were needed....

.... proof positive that "sticky" threads tend to become invisible!
Old 04-01-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: If proof were needed....

• Quoth benedict •<HR SIZE=1> .... proof positive that "sticky" threads tend to become invisible! <HR SIZE=1>

I didn't want to say anything ... Hell, when you first made it sticky I thought to myself, "Holy carp! Off the first page in Music? ... now that's bad!"

Thanks to everyone who's playing along so far! I plan to check out some of these tunes when I get home from work.

das
Old 04-05-03, 08:58 PM
Banned

Live Music Archive thread

Live Music Archive

I suggest downloading and learning how to use SmartFTP. If you already have an FTP program you are familiar with and comfortable with, that's just as good, but SmartFTP was really easy for me to setup and figure out. Along with the emergence of Bittorrent, it has made downloading shows incredibly simple.

This is an amazing world we live in today.
Old 04-24-03, 09:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Back on topic

A link to MC5's "Motor City is Burning" can be found (close to the top middle-left) on the linked site.
Old 04-24-03, 07:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Irish band the frames 1st album from 1991 on the official page.

The Frames - Another Love Song
Old 04-24-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Irish band the frames 1st album from 1991 on the official page.

The Frames - Another Love Song
Thanks. I have For the Birds, and that's it.

Of all the strange places to find (legal, listenable) MP3s, I'd be surprised if anyone can top Abercrombie and Fitch's liefestyle page. I recommend the tracks by the Salteens and Flare.
Old 04-29-03, 06:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

If a recording is not clearly available with the consent of those who have the legal rights to it then it must not be posted here or anywhere on these forums.

No correspondence will be entered into and any (further) flouting will result in some form of administrative action.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Old 04-29-03, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by benedict
If a recording is not clearly available with the consent of those who have the legal rights to it then it must not be posted here or anywhere on these forums.

No correspondence will be entered into and any (further) flouting will result in some form of administrative action.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
What is "flouting"?
Old 04-29-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bust
What is "flouting"?
Flout
Old 04-29-03, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by benedict
...any (further) flouting will result in some form of administrative action.

Now that I understand what you're saying, I really hope that isn't directed at me. If it is, I really don't understand why. Maybe you misinterpreted something.
Old 04-30-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the official HALFORD page http://www.robhalford.com/ he has two complete Judas Priest concerts plus tons of unrealeased and live MP3s from his other bands Two, Fight, and Halford. A must for any Judas Priest or Halford fan.
Old 05-06-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Faust and Shortee have some good mixtapes and live sessions up. My favorites on that page are the latin set shortee did at the playboy mansion and the mixtape urban assault.
Old 05-11-03, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Two Blue Oyster Cult live tracks at this page: http://www.blueoystercult.com/Studio-main.html

And a rotating selection of tracks from an OOP Tony Martin (ex-Sabbath) album if you click the "music" link here: http://www.tonymartin.net/
Old 05-15-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The String Cheese Incident has a new lineup of free MP3 downloads on their site at this page:

http://www.stringcheeseincident.com/soundaudio.htm

The String Cheese Incident is a jam band. There are 12 songs on the above page, which is ~ 140 minutes worth of music.

When you list bands and their MP3 links here, please note what type of band (what kind of music) they are.

I’m kind of surprised to see that Blue Oyster Cult is still around. They sound a little worse for the wear. Is that a different singer than they used thirty years ago, when Cities on Flame with Rock & Roll was first released? BOC was my favorite band throughout most of the 80s when others were listening to the big hair stuff.

I also downloaded some Judas Priest (from their early 80s concerts, mp3s at the link a few posts above), and a couple Yo La Tengo's mp3s. They are two very different bands. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like Yo La Tengo.

I checked out the official phish site, I didn't see any free downloads, but they sell concert downloads for $10 for whole concerts (3 disks worth) on mp3s. This is an interesting concept, I hope it catches on with other bands. They also provide free art if you have a CD label maker.

Last edited by Heat; 05-16-03 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazon.com offers a lot of free tracks:

Free Downloads

Epitaph and Fat Wreck Chords always have free downloads.
Old 06-06-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

30 or so full MP3s by 20 or so bands at Playing in Fog.
Old 06-12-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Norah Jones has a bunch of free mp3s at:

http://www.norahjones.com/av/default.htm

If you don't know any of her songs and are just curious to see what she sounds like, download "Don't Know Why" and "Cold Cold Heart".

There is also streaming audio and live video at the same site.

Last edited by Heat; 06-12-03 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
If you put the new Liz Phair CD in your 'puter, it will link you to a 5 song EP called Comenandgetit. It's in asf. format and downloads all 5 songs as a single file.

Pretty good stuff though. Plus it has CD cover art/inlays for the EP.
Old 06-30-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and though they charge a membership fee ($10-15/mo) Emusic offers unlimited downloads from bands on Indie labels. There are about 900 Indie labels working with their site.
Old 07-28-03, 05:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Smashing Pumpkins release from a couple years ago that they had people put out on the net for them. MACHINA II / the Friends and Enemies of Modern Music

Last edited by Jason Northrup; 07-28-03 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-30-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's not exactly free, but if you bought the Metallica St. Anger CD it comes with a CD Code to log into metallicavault.com for free - they have 3 complete live concerts available for download as mp3s.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.