Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Nightbreed Director's Cut Update

Old 04-02-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw Nightbreed the other day in High-Def, and I got to thinking about the Director's Cut DVD that was rumored a while back. Dug up the following "update." Unfortunately, no development has taken place to date!
Anyway, for those who're interested, here's a excerpt of a recent interview with Clive discussing it...

Interviewer: Any progress with the Nightbreed director's cut to DVD?

Clive: Absolutely none right now, because nobody at Fox seems to know where the material is. It is incredibly frustrating. Everybody that we worked with has long since gone at Morgan Creek, who was the company that originally worked with Fox to make the movie.

Part of the problem, is that it is old news to us. I heard a story, I don't know if it is true or not, but when they were going to do the special edition of the Howling, they were looking around for the material. Joe Dante smiled, and said "I kept it all in my garage." I don't know if it is true or not, but I hope it is. If I make another movie, trust me, that's just what I'll do. I mean we'll find it eventually, but in a way it's like having to be a squeaky wheel. In studios the people change, and just at the time you get someone interested. There was a wonderful guy called George Feldenstein at MGM who was responsible for doing the brilliant packaging of the laser edition of Lord of Illusions, and making sure that the extra 12 minutes of the director's cut was properly scored, and so on. He's since gone. He was a visionary. He was a guy who really understood, and who saw, even before the DVD revolution came upon us, that there was going to be a real appetite for these extra features and things like that. The problem is, over at Fox right now, I genuinely don't think they know where the material is. I think it's probably sitting in a ... this depresses the hell out of me to say it, but it's probably true. It's probably sitting in a series of unmarked canisters, a lot of unmarked canisters in a warehouse. I think probably they would help me if they possibly could. I don't think they are being willfully difficult I just don't think anyone knows where the hell this stuff is. I wonder if somebody's gonna come across it by accident, and that may happen or else eventually we figure we'll find someone at Fox who, if we dog them enough, they will give us the key to the warehouse. Maybe that's what it will take, maybe they will say, "Barker, you've bothered us enough, here's the key. Go find it."

In which case we'll go find it. I wouldn't have the slightest problem with doing that, if that is what it will take. I can't imagine them doing that anytime soon. Maybe they will, and then we'll do it. One of these days we'll do it.

I really wish they'd get off their asses and locate the material!
Old 04-02-04, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have been waiting so long for this also. It better come out some day. Great movie. I have heard a directors cut was once made available on LD and VHS Anyone know if this is true or not? I have never been able to locate anything.
Old 04-02-04, 02:09 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
That sucks...I too hope this sees the light of day eventually.
Old 04-02-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... the missing bits of Nightbreed...

. . . . . .
Old 04-02-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I am getting tired of waiting. It is hard to believe something as stupid as "they can't find it" is holding up a DC release.
Old 04-02-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
I hope this sees the light of day, if not I'll just have to cave in and buy the one thats out now.
Old 04-02-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would love to se this too. I think it's Clive's best film.
Old 04-02-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was never a big fan of the film...maybe a DC would change my mind.
Old 04-02-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by spazz276
Have been waiting so long for this also. It better come out some day. Great movie. I have heard a directors cut was once made available on LD and VHS Anyone know if this is true or not? I have never been able to locate anything.
Untrue. There is only one cut of the movie currently.
Old 04-03-04, 08:50 AM

Bugger, I love the film in a strange way, its quite an interesting thing of a film, and more footage could make it even stranger, hope it popes up one day, but really unlikely at the moment , a pity.
Old 04-03-04, 02:42 PM

Is there an online petition for this somewhere?

Maybe if enough fans signed it, Fox would green light it...
Old 04-03-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
While I like the movie, I don't think this flick is too high on Fox's priority list.