Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brosnan frustrated over the direction of the films, best interview on Bond

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-22-04, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.moviehole.net/news/3420.html

Brosnan's best interview about the state of Bond, I agree with him, check the link to read the rest. He isn't happy about the producers feeling they need to top themselfs with bang for your buck etc.

But you've got one more dance with Bond - is there anything left to do with the character?

Pierce: Well, the dance...we seem to have taken a break at the moment. The producers have reached an impasse, as far as I can tell. They don't know what to do. They don't know how to move on. A sense of paralysis has set in. So, for me it's business as usual. I shall just carry on with creating work for myself. I certainly would love to do a fifth Bond and then bow out, but if this last one is to be the last one, then so be it.

Q: We've discussed before Michael Wilson's timidity to make a Bond movie in the vein of From Russia With Love and I think that's a real problem...

Pierce: It's frustrating, really, because they feel they have to top themselves in a genre which is just spectacle and huge bang for your buck. For me, I think you can have your cake and eat it. You can have real character work and real storylines and a thriller aspect and all the kind of quips and asides and explosions and the women. I love From Russia With Love. It's one of the finest pieces.

I hope he gets them to see reason and fight for a better Bond film.
Old 03-22-04, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
how do they think they're topping themselves? by making them progressively worse? Maybe that's unfair since I haven't seen every bond film, but the ones I have seen weren't very good. Sean Connery did some good ones... maybe if they saved some money by not doing so many explosions and crap, they could spend it on the gadgets so they didn't look so cheesey.
Old 03-22-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo momma.
Old 03-22-04, 07:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Luckily, Brosnan is pursuing more highbrow interests, like that movie where he gets drunk and accidentally marries the opposition lawyer.
Old 03-23-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah Pierce Brosnan.

Good choice for a Bond movie.

I love From Russia with Love because its not the usual Bond flick.
Old 03-23-04, 05:11 AM
Banned

From Russia with Love is the best! I'd like them to go back and do something like OHMSS...something that combines both the spectacle and the intimate story...that movie did it perfectly...they can do it again!
Old 03-23-04, 08:48 PM

JAMES BOND: YOUR VIEWS

Rumours are rife that Pierce Brosnan has starred in his last Bond film.

Already the Irish actor has hinted the makers of the Bond films have not yet decided if he is to carry on in the role that has captured the imagination of the world.

As speculation has grown about Brosnan's future, names of his possible successor have been bandied around.

But who do you want as the next 007?

Thanks for sending us your views. Here is a selection:

Me!! I¿ll even do it for nothing if Angelina Jolie is my Bond girl.
Ryan, Dudley

I think if the likes of Orlando Bloom and Jude Law were to play such a demanding role at an extremely young age they would struggle immensely. I say stick with Brosnan for a while and wait for the others to age a bit or alternatively don't make anymore Bond films because they are beginning to get tedious now as they are all nearly the same.
Hanna

It's an established fact that James Bond is a Commander in the Royal Navy. You can't have freckle-faced actors taking the role for that very reason. If you want that, go and watch Spy Kids
GrahamH

Pierce has surpassed himself as James Bond - why change him when there is no need? He is fabulous. Let him at least do one more film... please?
Rachel, Essex

I think Pierce has been a great Bond. I wish the films had more thought to them. I've always thought Ewan McGregor with short dark hair would be a good Bond. Who ever he is, he needs to be British. Daniel, Cheshire

Hugh Jackman as Bond? Remember the last Aussie to play Bond? Bond from the Bristish Isles please and another one from Pierce.
Darran Hoare

Pierce has been the only one who is in the position to surpass Sean Connery. He has done exceptionally with the role of James Bond and should be given some latitude as to how the Bond series should continue in the future.
Kim

How about Alfie Moon?
Catherine, Wallasey

I would love to see Pierce stay on to be Bond but in his absence my choice would be Dougray Scott. He has the right looks and charm and a wonderful voice.
Helen, Gloucester

Whoever is behind the decision to bring in a new Bond needs to be shown the ejector seat and given a test flight. Pierce Brosnan is second to none when it comes to playing 007 so leave him be.
Royston Crandley, Berkshire

I would love to see Pierce Brosnan stay on longer as James Bond. He's still very youthful and has a lot to offer. I don't think that the likes of Orlando Bloom or Jude Law could pull off the role yet.
Rachael, Cheshire

Another Pierce Brosnan one please.
Glynis O'Sullivan, Ireland

I think Nigel Harmen (Dennis Jr from Eastenders) would be good.
Susan Longley

The current James Bond is the best ever. You cannot outsource James Bond now we have a good one. They should keep him.
John, Germany

Why mend something that isn't broken? We currently have the most suave, handsome, charming, "tongue-in-cheek" Bond there has ever been. Why on earth would they even dream of giving the job to someone else?
Anita, Long Eaton
Old 03-24-04, 05:09 AM
Banned

I say let Brosnan do 2 more Bond's if he wants...but 1 will be fine...he's been excellent has Bond...and say what you will about DaD...but he was perfect in it...whats wrong with the Bond creators...why change the actor when the last 4 movies with said actor have been getting bigger and bigger with the last one becoming the largest grossing Bond film ever...doesnt make sense...
Old 03-24-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He'll always be Remington Steele to me
Old 03-24-04, 07:50 AM

Goldeneye was his best, and IMHO one of the best Bond movies out there. Tomorrow Never Dies was mediocre. The last two were blah blah.
Old 03-24-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Goldeneye was his best, and IMHO one of the best Bond movies out there. Tomorrow Never Dies was mediocre. The last two were blah blah.
Hmm...I thought The World is Not Enough was Brosnan's best. Of course, I loved Timothy Dalton as Bond, so I'm probably in the minority here...
Old 03-24-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Even though I don't like most 007 movies, I like Brosnan as Bond. Too bad the story and direction in so many of them, well, sucks.

I don't think there is anywhere else to go with Bond. It was sorta' amusing the first ten times that they were sort of self-aware of Bond's womanizing, and the cliches that were in the previous Bond movies. But now they're just unaware of their awareness.

It's like telling the same joke ten times, but switching it around a little each time. And then making a 'I just reuse this joke constantly' joke. And then turning the 'I just reuse this joke constantly' joke into your regular routine.

I guess they could inject Bond movies with visceral action sequences. But that wouldn't really be Bond, would it?

I think that the films themselves should just "bow out". Or maybe just take another ten year hiatous until something with quality comes along.
Old 03-24-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Groucho
Luckily, Brosnan is pursuing more highbrow interests, like that movie where he gets drunk and accidentally marries the opposition lawyer.
At least that movie is true to the character of Daniel Rafferty that we've come to know and love...
Old 03-24-04, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Hmm...I thought The World is Not Enough was Brosnan's best. Of course, I loved Timothy Dalton as Bond, so I'm probably in the minority here...
Not alone there...TWINE is my favorite Brosnan Bond...and Dalton is probably the best Bond to me...even though Moore is my favorite...
Old 03-24-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to some some love for Dalton and Moore. My favorites as well.
Old 03-25-04, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Anyone see Entertainment Weekly last night? The results of their Bond poll had Pierce in first place to be in the next Bond movie...but had Orlando Bloom in second! Orlando Bloom as Bond? I'd rather see Tony Orlando as Bond!
Old 03-25-04, 05:31 AM
Banned

Me too...Orlando would be terrible...he's got about has much charisma and charm has a tree...he's just flat out WRONG for Bond...
Old 03-25-04, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
I agree. Bond died for me in Goldeneye. Everything after that has been abysmal, especially the last one.

with Barbara dead, Bond is dead. Wilson couldn't find his ass in a hall of mirrors.
Old 03-25-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The producers have reached an impasse, as far as I can tell. They don't know what to do.
Translation: They are arguing over what kind of evil satellite the next villain will launch.

I've had high hopes for Brosnan, and it's frustrating that the more comfortable he becomes in the role, the sloppier the movies have become. In fact, the reason I don't share the same high opinion as many of Goldeneye's place in the franchise is due to Brosnan's rather wooden performance. Similarly, the reason that I can enjoy the later movies on some level is due to how he has grown into the role. I'd like to see one last Jinx-free hoorah for Brosnan, then a solid look at whether a replacement is best, or whether Bond should look into retirement...or at least a prolonged vacation.
Old 03-29-04, 06:17 AM

Following the UK's 'Daily Mail' report earlier this week on Pierce Brosnan being axed from the 007 role, a 'Keep Brosnan' campaign seems to have started.

Parts of the Bond fan community in the UK have also begun to express shock and anger at the move by MGM and EON, as there was a general assumption that Pierce would do one more movie and be allowed to go out on a 'high'.

One fan has even created a "Keep Pierce" petition online.

There is also deep concern at the idea of pitching the next Bond at a 'younger' audience and going for the lowest common denominator. Some have expressed a suspicion that MGM have become desperate to bail themselves out of further financial difficulty after the managerial incompetence of other recent film projects, and have now focused on James Bond - the most successful part of their empire - to save their skins.

The opening shots in a Keep Brosnan campaign have been made in the same UK newspaper that revealed the shock news, the 'Daily Mail', with an article on 12th February by former Bond woman Fiona Fullerton. It was entitled 'Oh Oh Heaven! Or Why, at Fifty, Brosnan should STILL be Bond'.

Fiona, who played a Russian agent in Roger Moore's final Bond movie AVTAK in 1985, clearly expressed in the article her astonishment that the Bond producers are scouting round trying to find a replacement. 'Excuse me? Too old at 50?', she wrote. 'Since when has that been too old for men in the movies?'.

She pointed out that when she appeared in AVTAK in 1985, Roger Moore was 57 at the time but the film was as popular as ever. On the Brosnan decision, Fiona complained: 'The film-makers say that they are worried that an ageing special agent will put off young cinema-goers. But nothing could be further from the truth. The fact is that an older Bond looks as if he can whip the backsides of all the handsome young villains... that come his way. And that's as obvious to a teenage cinema-goer as it is to a geriatric'.

Fiona pointed out that it is 'depressing' that the Bond producers, like so many in the film and television industry, 'appear to be pandering to the youth audience'.

She continued: 'At 50, Brosnan is more alluring than ever because the lines and occasional fatigue that show on his face are desperately attractive'. She added that Brosnan, in her view, was the best Bond ever.

Moreover, at the professional level, he takes his profession very seriously, 'and even does most of his own stunts. He's still in tremendous shape and looks like a man who has lived life in the fast lane, but he doesn't want to quit now and the producers would be mad to let him go'.

Fiona ended her article by powerfully pointing out: 'Pierce has been quoted as saying he'd like to do another Bond film. And so he should'.
Old 03-29-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Brosnan is right about the last movie, it was excellent until he got to HK and became the same old Bond for the rest of the movie.
Old 03-29-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to this article

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=3852

the new Bond is probably going to be Orlando Bloom. It seems that they want to remake Bond in a younger image to attract teen viewers...

Last edited by Flave; 03-29-04 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-29-04, 09:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Come on guys. The new Bond won't be announced (or even considered) for some time, once Brosnan officially leaves the role. And every guy with a non-American accent has been rumored as having the role.
Old 03-29-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard it's between Richard Greico and Christian Bale
Old 03-29-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
He'll always be Remington Steele to me
"Yesh... Remington Shteele... we meet again."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.