Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Spielberg gives lackluster Schindler's List extras, are you surprised?

Old 03-04-04, 11:58 AM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to try to make this short.

People seem to be avoiding the new Schindler's List DVD because of poor extras (2 featurettes, 1 12 minute Shoah commercial, 80 minutes of interviews with the Schindler Jews). My question is are you surprised? I mean, I don't own any Spielberg DVDs really, but from what I've heard, he refuses to do any commentary tracks. He generally doesn't like talking about the technical aspects of the film because it "takes away from the magic of the film", blah blah yackidy smackidy. SPR, the only Spielberg DVD I know I own, has 1 extra which is basically honoring the men who died in Normandy. No more, no less.

Am I wrong? Am I insane? Is the Indiana Jones box filled with 9 hours of how he did every memorable stunt?

Or in retrospect, are his DVDs mainly filled with fluff material?

Any information on Spielberg DVD extras, past, present, and future, or other relevant information is appreciated.
Old 03-04-04, 12:18 PM
Banned

Well, he does not do commentaries, but that does not translate to other extras. Also, do not forget that it is the films that actually count. The extras are just icing on the cake, and are not necessary. After all one does not buy DVD's of films one hates just to watch the extras.
Old 03-04-04, 12:19 PM

I, for one, have no tolerance for whining about extras. Extras are just that, extra. The movie is the important thing.

Sure, I enjoy a good production documentary, and there are a few commentaries that are truly worthwhile. But, the absence of any of that does not reduce my enjoyment of the movie.
Old 03-04-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If poor extra's are the reason you are avoiding this dvd, then good. no need for me to rush out and buy one before they are all sold out.

I want the film. I blooper segment or anything else like that. I work in the film/tv industry and I can honestly say that knowning the behind the scenes knowledge, it does sorta take some of the magic away. You point out jump cuts in edits when viewing a film, or notice the smaller things and it can be buggy. I'm not sure what a commentary track for Schindler's list would really offer. it would be nice to hear more history behind it, But in the end I'm happy we get the dvd.
Old 03-04-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I'll ever understand this absurd process of thought.
Old 03-04-04, 12:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I want commentary from Mel Gibson's dad.
Old 03-04-04, 01:08 PM
Cool New Member

Let's face it. Spielberg is just not a big DVD proponent like Ridley Scott. All of the Spielberg DVDs I own (Indiana Jones box, SPR, Minority Report, CMIYC) were pretty flat releases with barebones featurettes and obviously no director's commentary. Even the new 2-disc version of SPR isn't anything to scream about.

But then again, Spielberg's movies for the most part are so damn good that I'd buy Schindler's List anyway. If you are refraining from purchasing SL b/c you're hoping a second release will come out with a commentary track/more features, I think you're wasting your time. Spielberg controls all of his releases and he's never put much emphasis on revealing the dark secrets of his filmmaking process.

Besides, I really doubt watching a blooper reel would "add to the magic" of the film.
Old 03-04-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You pointed out Schinder's List, Saving Private Ryan and Indiana Jones. It's true that these discs aren't exactly loaded with extras. But I don't feel that's true of all his films. Other films have had a decent amount of extras, such as A.I., Catch Me if You Can, Close Encounters, E.T. and Minority Report. Not really what I'd classify as fluff for the most part.

As for Schinder's List specifically, no, I'm not surprised that it's not loaded. Nor do I really case. As has already been pointed out, they're just extras.

And I'm one of the few people who appreciates his stance on commentaries. I'd much rather have a well produced bonus feature than listen to a commentary. If he's going to speak about a film, I'd much rather have new visuals than watch the movie again while listening. But that's just me.
Old 03-04-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do the nazi's carry cell phones in this one?
Old 03-04-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
no, they carry nurf guns. making everything more playful.
Old 03-04-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Spielberg gives lackluster Schindler's List extras, are you surprised?

Originally posted by KSC2-303
Or in retrospect, are his DVDs mainly filled with fluff material?

Any information on Spielberg DVD extras, past, present, and future, or other relevant information is appreciated.
Some of the newer ones? Yes, mostly fluff central.

But, look at the documentaries on 1941, Close Encounters, and Jaws (especially the unedited laserdisc version). Pure brilliance.

As far as Schindler specifically... it shouldn't be a huge surprise that the extras are lackluster. Criterion's planned laserdisc release for this had to be completely scrapped due to Spielberg's reluctance to provide any 'making of' material for the film. I was honestly expecting the disc to be bare-bones.
Old 03-04-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually care about extras but in this instance I just want the film.

I would have also prefered if it wasnt a Flipper but oh well......
Old 03-04-04, 02:03 PM

Normally, lack of extras on a film as great as this wouldn't bother me, but I so much want to hear how Spielberg felt while making this. It is supposed to be his most personal film, then tell us why it is so personal, what stories do you have for us Steve?
Old 03-04-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie is what matters, extras are nice but if we don't get too many, oh well. Would have been nice if they actually had some stuff on the making of the film, but I'm still purchasing it.
Old 03-04-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Robert George
I, for one, have no tolerance for whining about extras. Extras are just that, extra. The movie is the important thing.

Old 03-04-04, 02:33 PM
Banned

As supplements go Spielberg's DVD's mostly suck, but there are great supplements out there if you look around. True he has never done an audio commentary, BUT HE DOES DO EXTENSIVE IN DEPTH INTERVIEWS on nearly all his DVD's. Many of these are fluff, but there are some gems (and he used to REALLY rule on Laserdisc).

Here's a rundown on the supplements:

Jaws Laserdisc: A+ Two hour documentary and loads of other assorted extras
Jaws DVD: C+ The one hour cut of the original 2 hour doc sucks
Close Encounters Special Edition Laserdisc and DVD: A Spectacular 90 minute documentary
Close Encounters Criterion Collection Laserdisc: B Excellent but was outdone by later LD/DVD
1941 Laserdisc/DVD: A+ DVD is an exact port of LD. 90 minute documentary is superb. Better than the movie
E.T. Laserdisc: A- Very good documentary
E.T. DVD: B- New documentary with more fluff than the LD. Doesn't present the deleated scenes properly or in their entirety.

Raiders/Minoirty Report/Catch Me.../Jurasic Park/Lost World: All pretty fluff filled. The must haves are the 1941 DVD, E.T. Laser, Jaws Laser, and Close Encounters DVD. They are among the best sets of supplements ever put out for the public...even if they don't have a commentary.

Last edited by Pants; 03-04-04 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 02:34 PM

I think a lot of Spielberg's films are on some pretty good dvds. No commentaries, that's true. However, they have some very well-made documentaries, galleries, etc. And they have DTS.

Now saying that his films not having commentaries sucks. That's fine, I disagree, but that's fine. But I don't think it's fair to say they're all filled with fluff. I think they're usually quality docs and featurettes, ala Indy, Jaws, Minority Report, etc. The only Spielberg film where I thought the extras were a waste of time was Catch Me if You Can.
Old 03-04-04, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
I want commentary from Mel Gibson's dad.

THAT is the laugh I needed today...

...and from a Schindler's List thread, no less.
Old 03-04-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Spielberg wants Schindler's List to speak for itself.

Now NO trailers for the film, that's a valid complaint.
Old 03-04-04, 03:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts
First off, I have to say that a masterpiece like this needs no extras. Period!!

When I first saw this in theaters one Christmas eve I did not think of it as a movie, but more of an experience. Period!

The overwhelming impact that this movie should have for anyone of any race, color or religion should be nothing less than awe. Now it may be awe in a good way or a bad way, but awe nonetheless (it is up to the viewer to decide). Much like the impact I am sure an experience like "Passion of the Christ" would make, which I have yet to experience myself.

So anyone needing extras or filler for a piece of art like this simply does not understand the emotional depth and overwhelming impact (again negative or positive) something like this presentation holds. Period!

Although, I must admit that the packaging (a thin digipak book type case) does look pretty nice and definitely stands out. Though people will criticize I am sure when they do see it, but I for one think it is very apropos.
Old 03-04-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
Originally posted by scott1598
First off, I have to say that a masterpiece like this needs no extras. Period!!

When I first saw this in theaters one Christmas eve I did not think of it as a movie, but more of an experience. Period!

The overwhelming impact that this movie should have for anyone of any race, color or religion should be nothing less than awe. Now it may be awe in a good way or a bad way, but awe nonetheless (it is up to the viewer to decide). Much like the impact I am sure an experience like "Passion of the Christ" would make, which I have yet to experience myself.

So anyone needing extras or filler for a piece of art like this simply does not understand the emotional depth and overwhelming impact (again negative or positive) something like this presentation holds. Period!

Although, I must admit that the packaging (a thin digipak book type case) does look pretty nice and definitely stands out. Though people will criticize I am sure when they do see it, but I for one think it is very apropos.
I just finally watched it yesterday, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed.

It seems to work on emotions already created rather than creating emotions itself. What I mean is you don't feel bad for the Jews because of this movie, you feel bad for the Jews because that's what you've been told to feel. Jews were dehumanized and completely unrelatable in this movie. The difference between Schindler's List and the Pianist in my opinion is that the Jew in Schindler's List is simply the target of Nazi aggression. The Jew in the Pianist is the victim of Nazi aggression.

What people need to address isn't how these horrors of the Holocaust could happen, but WHY they happened. The Holocaust was a horrible solution to a problem, but that doesn't mean a problem didn't exist. Of course, I'll be branded as an anti-semite racist for saying that, but that's the culture we live in.

The only thing I think Schindler's List did better than the Pianist is explain why the Jews were persecuted to begin with in one scene. During the Krakow expulsion, the SS are pushing everyone out of their homes to get them into the trains. In one scene, you see a Jewish family taking diamonds they hid and putting them into bread, eating the bread to save the jewels.

To me, this is a textbook example of why Germans persecuted the Jews. Even in the darkest hour, when there are so many more important things to have, like food, safety, and shelter, these Jews horde their wealth. This classified the Jews as people who even at the doorstep of their own apocalypse still valued money more than everything else. In all honesty, would you feel empathy for a man who values his own personal wealth over the well-being of his family? I wouldn't.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that every Jew was like that, but as far as Germany was concerned, enough Jews were like that to not care about them as a people.

Perhaps I'm just reading a bit into things.
Old 03-04-04, 04:04 PM

I was hoping for an outtake reel. :P
Old 03-04-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Why is this a flipper? I thought the days of those were long gone.
Old 03-04-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
In one scene, you see a Jewish family taking diamonds they hid and putting them into bread, eating the bread to save the jewels.

To me, this is a textbook example of why Germans persecuted the Jews. Even in the darkest hour, when there are so many more important things to have, like food, safety, and shelter, these Jews horde their wealth. This classified the Jews as people who even at the doorstep of their own apocalypse still valued money more than everything else. In all honesty, would you feel empathy for a man who values his own personal wealth over the well-being of his family? I wouldn't.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that every Jew was like that, but as far as Germany was concerned, enough Jews were like that to not care about them as a people.

You have completely and utterly misinterpreted that scene.

Jews in the Holocaust did not hide and horde their gold and diamonds simply because of their love of money over anything else, because of greed or love of wealth.

They did so in order to have some kind of means in which they could survive: bribe guards, get food for their family, procure a means of escape, whatever it took in order to stay alive.

During many of the transports to various concentration camps, Jewish prisoners attempted to bribe guards to look the other way during their escape attempt with whatever precious jewels they were able to smuggle out with them. Most of them were shot anyhow.

To imply that the scene is meant to convey that Jews, even at the brink of death, still valued money and greed above their own lives is kind of preposterous. I'm not making a character judgment on you, KSC, I don't think you had any malicious and mean-spirited intent at all. But man, that's a serious misinterpretation...

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 03-04-04 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 04:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

What people need to address isn't how these horrors of the Holocaust could happen, but WHY they happened. The Holocaust was a horrible solution to a problem, but that doesn't mean a problem didn't exist. Of course, I'll be branded as an anti-semite racist for saying that, but that's the culture we live in.

The only thing I think Schindler's List did better than the Pianist is explain why the Jews were persecuted to begin with in one scene. During the Krakow expulsion, the SS are pushing everyone out of their homes to get them into the trains. In one scene, you see a Jewish family taking diamonds they hid and putting them into bread, eating the bread to save the jewels.

For what you have said you are a f***ing idiot. I am sorry for saying such a disparaging word and i am not capable of saying such a thing, but that is all i can say of a god damn r**ist such as yourself. "a horrible solution to a problem" "not to say a problem didn't exist"?????? i cannot believe you actually uttered those lines in a forum such as this. Neither movie explained "WHY" they were persecuted!! Because there is no reason "WHY"!!! except for a raving madman...i got to stop..sir or madam whatever you are..you need to get the hell out of this thread and take a look at yourself and if you think you are not a r**ist i would check yourself you freggin moron!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-04-04 at 04:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.