Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

(Yet another) Help identify this movie - comedy? - 80s??

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-01-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember any of this beyond what is in this post, it just popped into my head last night.

Now, this may even be combining two different movies, but here are the specific generalities.

AFAIK, this was a theatrical movie, but I saw it on TV, so it possibly could have been a TV movie (or even TV episode?? ) I am fairly certain it was a straight comedy, but it could have been more of a light drama with comedic elements, and I think it was an 80s film. It possibly had Steve Gutenberg, Michael Keaton (or Diane?,) and/or Danny DeVito in it, or maybe not...

On to the scenes:

This was a chase film, where the heroes were being chased by criminals of some sort, and the heroes were average Joes instead of Law Enforcement. The heroes may have even been somewhat shady themselves, or not. There were at least 2 couples in the film.

Scene 1:

The heroes had to hide in a hospital morgue, and they rolled up their pants legs, took off their shoes and socks, put toe tags on, and lay on the gurneys.

Scene 2:

The end of the movie... They are on a scrap heap or something where the ground is uneven (although this part may be a red herring,) and the group pairs off into couples and kiss. The woman of one couple bends her leg up at the knee while she is kissing, and then the man of the other couple does the same thing... he may have been short (Danny DeVito?) and/or the woman may have been taller.
Old 03-01-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds a bit like Twins.
Old 03-02-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Maybe Men at Work with Charlie Sheen.
Old 03-02-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Could it be "Johnny Dangerously?" It has Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito. Did it seem to be set in the 1930s or was it present day?
Old 03-02-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Wait a second. You are confused about whether or not this film contained Michael or Diane Keaton?

You are living up to your username.
Old 03-02-04, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The woman of one couple bends her leg up at the knee while she is kissing, and then the man of the other couple does the same thing... he may have been short (Danny DeVito?) and/or the woman may have been taller.

That is definitely Twins.
Old 03-02-04, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't see how it could be Twins... that kiss scene has been in dozens of movies. It's almost a cliche. Besides - how could he mistake Arnold Swartzennegar for Steve Guttenberg? Also, there's no scene (that I can remember anyway) in Twins where they are in a morgue or anywhere near one. I don't think it's Men at Work either. I mean, it could be one of the Police Academy movies. Could it be Dead Heat with Treat Williams and Joe Piscipoe? That movie kicked ass.
Old 03-02-04, 05:27 AM

Well he did say that he could be mixing up two different films so the morgue scene doesn't have to have been in it while these descriptions sound a good deal like Twins. I have no idea how he could have missed Schwarzenegger though.

AFAIK, this was a theatrical movie, but I saw it on TV, so it possibly could have been a TV movie (or even TV episode?? ) I am fairly certain it was a straight comedy, but it could have been more of a light drama with comedic elements, and I think it was an 80s film.
This was a chase film, where the heroes were being chased by criminals of some sort, and the heroes were average Joes instead of Law Enforcement. The heroes may have even been somewhat shady themselves, or not. There were at least 2 couples in the film.
The woman of one couple bends her leg up at the knee while she is kissing, and then the man of the other couple does the same thing... he may have been short (Danny DeVito?) and/or the woman may have been taller.
Old 03-02-04, 11:04 AM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I am pretty sure that it wasn't Twins, although that could be the scene at the end. I really think it was a different movie, though, and the kissing scene may or may not be part of the morgue movie.

The one I am really stumped on is the morgue scene. I don't *think* it is Dead Heat, but I couldn't view the trailer...

Edit: I just watched the trailers for Dead Heat and Men at Work, and it isn't either one of those.

For those who were asking about the time period, it was set in the current time (80s.) I have Johnny Dangerously on DVD and it isn't that.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 03-02-04 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're not thinking of Night Shift, are you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084412/
Old 03-02-04, 12:25 PM

While we're here, wtf is that movie with Steve Martin, where he runs out on the road and some kid got flattened by a steamroller and he peels him off the ground.

That movie scared the piss out of me as a kid, I've always wanted to see it again, but don't know the name.
Old 03-02-04, 12:32 PM

Is it "The Dream Team"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097235/
Old 03-02-04, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
that movie with Steve Martin, where he runs out on the road and some kid got flattened by a steamroller and he peels him off the ground.
That happened in a 1980 NBC comedy special called "Comedy Is Not Pretty."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0336189/
(see the user comment for 4 April 2003, currently the ONLY comment.)

The bit was a fake public service announcement, warning against the dangers of driving a steam roller, while under the influence. Although, drunken steam roller driving may have worked its way into one of Martin's theatrical films.

My favorite part was the music video of Marty Robbins' "El Paso", with chimpanzees!
Old 03-02-04, 05:21 PM

Take the morgue out of the equation, I vote Twins.
Old 03-03-04, 11:44 AM

Its not Night Shift, as I own that on DVD. There wasn't enough of the clip of Dream Team to tell if that was it or not, although it sounds like it is closer than some. Was there a morgue scene in Dream Team, and were there at least 2 couples by the end? It almost seems like one of the women was a nurse or something.

I need to see Twins again, it has been long enough that I don't recall if the kissing scene in it is what I am thinking of, or if it was just similar to another movie, since that is a cliche (I think Lou Costello or Groucho even did it.)
Old 03-03-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disorderlies?
Old 03-05-04, 11:16 AM

Nope, not Disorderlies...

Forget the kissing scene, the hiding in the morgue is the big mystery...

It may be that the morgue attendant saw the "corpse" without a toe tag, and put one on the person hiding.
Old 03-05-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could really narrow it down by being certain about one actor in it.
Old 03-05-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a list of all the movies on IMDB with the keyword "morgue"

http://www.imdb.com/List?tv=on&&keyw...ding=19;morgue

Any of those sound right?
Old 03-05-04, 10:17 PM

Unfortunately no, but it isn't surprising, as the morgue scene wasn't a big plot point.

I really have no idea about the actors, except the lead may usually play "nice guys," which is why I was thinking Steve Guttenberg or Michael Keaton, or even someone like Paul Reiser (although I don't think it could be him, unless it was "Odd Jobs.")

I *think* the second male actor was a more of a comedian, like Danny DeVito or Christopher Lloyd. I don't think the movie was a wacky comedy, though.

I feel like Dream Team may be getting pretty close, does anyone know if they visit the morgue, and if there is a kissing scene with at least two couples at the end?
Old 03-06-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not an episode of Working Stiffs (starring Michael Keaton and Jim Belushi), is it?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...t/showid-3266/
Old 03-07-04, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
It's not an episode of Working Stiffs (starring Michael Keaton and Jim Belushi), is it?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...t/showid-3266/
Don't think so... I think I predisposed people to ONLY come up with movies that starred Michael Keaton, Steve Guttenberg, etc...

My memory is really poor, and I wish I could come up with more details, or even narrow down one of the actors... I may have not even seen most of the movie, as I probably caught the tail end while flipping channels.
Old 03-08-04, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it was Night of the Creeps or some other funny zombie type movie from the 80s. Or maybe you imagined the scenes.

I've been trying to find a movie where there's a scene with some lady looking at this gorgeous skyscape and saying something to the effect of "oh wonderful, another focking beautiful day" in a very sarcastic tone. It was some older classic movie before they dropped the f-bomb I think. Doesn't sound like it could've happened, so I may have imagined it even though I'm certain I saw it. :/
Old 03-08-04, 08:32 AM

Is that morgue scene in Wise Guys? I seem to remember something similar.
Old 03-11-04, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Maybe it was Night of the Creeps or some other funny zombie type movie from the 80s. Or maybe you imagined the scenes.
I'm pretty certain this wasn't horror (even comedy horror) or sci-fi, but more of a realistic comedy or light comedy drama.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.