Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy AMELIE (Japanese Tin Set)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-23-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Can anyone link me to a couple places where I can get this? also is this NTSC region 2?

thanks!
Old 02-23-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four words: Good luck!
Old 02-23-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think what you are looking for is the French Tin set, in that cause it would be PAL. I don't see any mention of a Japanese Tin set anywhere.
Old 02-23-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a Japanese Tin. Saw a review of the French (Tin), the US release and the R2 NTSC japan one. Just do a google search for amelie japanese tin and you'll find it.
Old 02-24-04, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought it was OOP. I tried to find it. Or was it that there weren't any english subs?
Old 02-24-04, 04:46 PM

I have the Japanese Tin (still sealed, but I am not selling)... so yes, it does exist.

It has a couple of things that are not included in the French tin (at least I don't recall them being in there), such as a small candle in the form of a creme brulee, a teaspoon, and an Amelie kubrick figure.

Your only chance of finding it would be to occassionally look out on Ebay (there is a French Tin on there at the moment with a buy now of US$139).
Old 02-24-04, 09:01 PM

I have the Amelie French tin if you are interested. I am selling it for $ 100 shipped. Thanks!
Old 02-24-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
sadly I'm only interested in the Japanese one, because my player wont do the PAL/NTSC conversion well. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 02-24-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tali219
I have the Amelie French tin if you are interested. I am selling it for $ 100 shipped. Thanks!
Yikes! There are places in the city that have it for $70, including the 8.25% sales tax! I know because I was looking for one just a few months ago.
Old 02-25-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I right that the French Tin doesn't have subtitles?
Old 02-25-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

yes!! (no English subs)

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-25-04 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Neither the French nor Japanese tin sets have English subtitles. Nor does the big Canadian box from TVA International.
Old 02-25-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Neither the French nor Japanese tin sets have English subtitles. Nor does the big Canadian box from TVA International.
I can second that the Japanese tin doesn't have English subs. I borrowed the DVD from a friend and had to rely on bad high-school French and the Japanese subtitles.
Old 02-15-05, 02:38 AM
Banned

does anyone still have this set? if so, i'd be interested, please shoot me an email, thanks
Old 02-15-05, 04:06 PM

What's the big deal?
Old 02-15-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

gimme
Old 08-12-05, 08:10 AM
Cool New Member

Hello - new forum member!

I'm bringing this topic back up because I am looking to buy Amelie and am a sucker for over the top limited editions...

I want to ask, when you guys say that there are no English subs on the R2 Japanese release, do you mean for the actual feature or just the supplemental material?

From the reviews I've read, this seems to be the definitive version to own in terms of a/v quality so that would be a real shame...

Have any of you seen the Dutch tin CE of Amelie?

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...988270-9050927

It still seems to be readily available and is selling for only 39 EUROS.

The problem is, I haven't found a single bit of information or details relating to this release ANYWHERE on the internet. I've tried to use Alta Vista Babblefish to translate the single review from Amazon's Dutch site but to no avail. It's completely incomprehensible and I can't make out a single word.

I really want to know how the picture and audio hold up to the other international versions released? I also want to know what the available language and subtitle options are...

To be honest, I think the packaging (at least the outer tin) looks much more elegant and nicer than the limited R2 Japanese tin.

Anyways, I'm ultimately looking for the best pq and audio available for this movie with optional English language subtitles and the best available extras. I'm not sure which region/version to turn to and would really appreciate some help.

I was really set on this Japanese tin because it seems to feature ALL of the extras from the R1 SE and than some, plus superior a/v qualities but without English subs for the actual film itself, it's pretty much useless to me. I was hoping worst case scenario, to have to purchase both the R2 tin and the R1 to replace the bonus discs for English language versions...

Anyways, any help would seriously be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 08-12-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Dutch is pretty weak, but here goes:
Infos zu diesem Titel (The information of the dvd)
• Untertitel: Deutsch, Französisch: (looks like no English subs) looks like just German subs, no Dutch subs??? (sucks because I could have muddled through if it did)
• Collector's Edition, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound, Surround Sound, PAL
• Laufzeit: 117 Minuten (length)
• DVD Erscheinungstermin: 7. April 2005 (release date)
• Produktion: 2001
Old 08-12-05, 11:47 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Fantastic.

Ive gone ahead and placed an order anyways, if not for the packaging alone. I'll probably end up selling off the discs on Ebay or in the trade forum here or at HTF...

As for the definitive edition WITH English subs... highest bit rate, pq, DTS surround, etc... plus extra features and so-on... where should I turn now?

The UK single-disc movie only edition for the image and sound and the 2-disc US edition for the extra features?

Than I'll have 3 versions of Amelie!

- Dutch 2-disc
- UK 1-disc
- US 2-disc

I'd end up replacing the movie disc from the US Miramax digipack with the higher quality disc from the UK edition and place the entire digi set into the limited Dutch tin to house it all.

Wow!!!

Talk about DVD obsession...

Does this look like the way to go for overall quality (top packaging, best image & sound, most extras)? Is there a simpler way to go?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-12, 12:19 PM

Re: Where can I buy AMELIE (Japanese Tin Set)

I know that this might be a number of years too late, but I own the Amelie Japanese tin box set. A former co-worker of mine went to Japan on business in 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember!), knew that I had loved the movie, and purchased the gift box for me. It's not subtitled in English, or else I'd keep it. I took the Kubrick out of the box, but it's still in the plastic and everything else is in it's original wrapping. The tin box is still wrapped in it's original cardboard sleeve. Is there still any interest in it? It's just sitting in my bookcase collecting dust. Please let me know and we can talk price. Thanks!
Old 12-11-12, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by danielle1072
I know that this might be a number of years too late, but I own the Amelie Japanese tin box set. A former co-worker of mine went to Japan on business in 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember!), knew that I had loved the movie, and purchased the gift box for me. It's not subtitled in English, or else I'd keep it. I took the Kubrick out of the box, but it's still in the plastic and everything else is in it's original wrapping. The tin box is still wrapped in it's original cardboard sleeve. Is there still any interest in it? It's just sitting in my bookcase collecting dust. Please let me know and we can talk price. Thanks!
Danielle, sending you a Private Message right now.
Old 06-01-13, 07:56 PM

Totally kicking this up, but I just wanted everyone to know that right after Christmas I arranged a sale for danielle1072's Japanese Amelie Tin set.

The transaction went flawless and I made a new friend in the process.

I've now been able to acquire every major special edition of Amelie released worldwide! Wooo!
Old 03-24-15, 01:15 PM
Cool New Member

Quite a few SEs of Amelie, the Kimchi lenticulars are particularly beautiful.

For the 20th anniversary, I'm hoping for a 16k transfer, 150 page steel-digibook, extended edition (80 extra minutes).
Old 10-23-15, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by XKalino
Quite a few SEs of Amelie, the Kimchi lenticulars are particularly beautiful.

For the 20th anniversary, I'm hoping for a 16k transfer, 150 page steel-digibook, extended edition (80 extra minutes).

Thanks for mentioning this! I had no idea bout the Kimchi set and just picked up the 3-disc box set off eBay! I can't wait to add it to my Amelie collection!

(L to R: Canadian box edition, European cookie tin edition, Japanese tin edition) ((Soon: Kimchi blu-ray edition!))

Cheers,
Sid
Old 10-27-15, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Why the obsession with AMELIE?

Why are people obsessed, or why do people collect anything, really?

I love the movie. Every minute of it. I saw it when it was in theaters and it blew me away with the joy and happiness and love I felt while watching it, and how it made me feel afterward. I loved how it was shot, and I loved the colors and how it seemed every part of the frame was paid attention. I saw it multiple times at the local art-house theater. I brought friends.

When these deluxe sets came out, I just wanted them, plain and simple. Over time I just decided it would be fun to collect the sets.

Probably the same reason why people collect books, or comics, or music, or toys, or movies, or video games, or spoons, or thimbles; because they love them and they just want to. It brings them joy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.