Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched DareDevil and Hulk....

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-06-04, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was expecting Dare Devil to be horrible, it was actually a pretty decent movie(plus Jennifer Garner helped it out a lot), I can't wait for the Directors Cut of this. Hulk on the other hand was unbearable. I almost fell asleep during it. The only decent part was the last 40 mins, and it had a bad ending. With all that being said, I'm not a comic book fan, so I probably didn't get what was going on, or what is supposed to be going on with their characters already developed from the comics and so on. All in all Spider-Man is my hands down favorite out of all the three.
Old 01-07-04, 12:54 AM

I saw Hulk recently and turned it off halfway to it. The origin in the comic book is way different to the one in the movie. I guess that's why I lost interest. It was an overhyped movie. It's just too boring.
Old 01-07-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally sat down to watch Hulk for the first time last week. I made it about 45 minutes into it and gave up. As ferocious says, it's pretty radically different than the comic book. And the changes weren't for the better. Plus it is boring, boring, boring. I don't need wall-to-wall action, but at least give me characters/situations I can care about.

Just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-07-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently finally got around to watching Hulk myself, and while it was nowhere near a great film, it was also nowhere near as bad as many made it out to be. I have no interest in seeing it again, won't watch a sequel, and won't be digging through the DVD extras, but there were many positive aspects of the film from a couple of very good performances to a wonderful comic feel. I agree with most of Aaron's Review. In the end, Hulk's just not that great a character IMO, so it's no big surprise that they couldn't do much with him in this film. Still, I'm glad I saw it, as it's not the 0-star trash I was told it would be.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 01-07-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to agree with you, Das. It was an alright movie, but disappointing overall. I've stated this before, but I'm not sure what people were expecting from this movie. The comic book is very introspective, and very dialogue driven which is what the movie turned out to be. The Hulk is not Spiderman folks--he doesn't go around saving people, he rarely fights supervillains, and he spends most of his time as his alter ego, Bruce Banner.

The movie entertained me, but I expected more from Ang Lee which is why I say it was disappointing. It could, and probably should have, been trimmed down about 20 minutes or so. Also, there was some terrible miscasting--Jennifer Connelly as Betty? Eric Bana as Bruce? When your two leads just don't look comfortable in their roles then you have a problem.

Now Daredevil? Terrible movie, and I dislike it more each time I see it. There was terrible casting all around--Ben Affleck, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Colin Farrell were completely wrong for their respective roles. The pacing was way off, and the plot is ludicrous. I'm hoping that the director's cut of this film will make it that much better, so I'll be interested to see what footage Mark Steven Johnson adds to it.
Old 01-07-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The "Hulk Bash" trend continues
Old 01-07-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hell, I loved Daredevil.

Hulk was good, but was overhyped and didn't deliver. But I don't deem it unbearable.
Old 01-07-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Daredevil is still the closest Marvel adaption, IMO. Just have to sit thru Bennifer's performance. Read #181 and that MSJ almost seemed like he used it for his storyboards. The rushed romance is what killed it, but I can understand why it was necessary.
Old 01-07-04, 12:18 PM
Banned

Really the only thing I liked about Hulk was the last 40 mins and the CGI. The whole story itself just seemed bland. I'm not saying Dare Devil wasn't bland, but Hulk just seemed to go on and on with the same stuff in the second hour of the film as it did the first hour. And the whole "mutant poodle" thing just made me want to hate this movie. I guess Hulk dissaponited me the most because I expected way too much from it. As a kid I loved the Hulk character, and I watched the re-runs of the Hulk TV show all the time, so this movie was a huge dissapointment to me mainly from the expectations I had.
Old 01-07-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched all of the extras, and some of it was good, but there's a lot of Ang Lee butt-kissing on there too.
Old 01-07-04, 12:38 PM
Banned

I loved em both...pretty simple...
Old 01-07-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always said they tried to turn Hulk into some drama first and the monster second. If I want to see a drama, I'll watch a drama movie. When seeing the Hulk, I want to see the Hulk most of the time doing what the Hulk does best. Smashing stuff and throwing cars. Thats the whole point of going to a Hulk movie. For another example, I don't think anyone goes to a Godzilla movie for the human dramas....they want to see a guy in a rubber suit smash a building or another guy in a rubber suit.
Old 01-07-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally posted by tsl141
Really the only thing I liked about Hulk was the last 40 mins and the CGI.
That's interesting. I thought the CGI was horrible and looked silly.
Old 01-07-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i finally got the urge to rent out Daredevil the other night.
i was a big fan of the comic back in the days of Millers original run, and was buying it from the drugstore around the time of the Elecktra storyline.
i have come to hate Ben Affleck as he brings to mind for me the Craig Kilborne school of 'smarmy ass' acting.
and the movie just looked like complete ass to me, so i had no problem resisiting it till now.

after watching the film, i now think i was harsh on Affleck.
he did a pretty competent job with the material- the problem was the part,. like all the others in the film, was underdeveloped.
the court scene was completely laughable and reminded me of a 20 yr old comic book writeres comception of what goes on in a courtroom.
Farrell as bullseye was fun to watch, but again the part was insubstantial.
as was kingpin (i thought Duncun ended up being a good choice, but the part just wasn't interesting).
the biggest crime was the criminal mishandling of the Elecktra story.
the film never earned the right to have Elecktras death mean anything.
it was awful that they ruined such a great storyline by condensing it and shoehorning it into another 'origin' movie.

other than that, there was never a good reason for everybody to be jumping hundreds of feet into the air all the time.

while it wasn't the piercing red hot poker to the eyes i expected it to be, i was a big disappointment, because there were actully some great elements in place for a great movie (and to set up Elecktras death in the sequel where the relationship carried over from two films would have meant something) but alas, it wasn't to be.

Hulk was one of my favorite films from last yr.
i dug the themes and the execution of the material. it hit me in the right way on almost every level.
to me, its right up there with the first Superman, it just had a very different adjenda, and it wasn't really concieved to have little kids cheering in the aisles along with their parents.
Old 01-07-04, 05:06 PM

Hulk was an ok movie, flawed, sometimes boring, but good with quality effects work (don't start on that one). Daredevil...well, nice costume, but quite frankly one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Seriously, that movie was poorly acted, poor action sequences, no transistions, bad writing, bad music...geesh, it sucked.

Hulk at least tried to be a good movie.
Old 01-07-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I enjoyed both movies. Daredevil i enjoyed much more the 2nd time around on DVD, especially after listening to the commentary and the packed special features. Hulk... mixed reactions. Saw it in theaters and bought the DVD. I didn't mind the drama and the action was top notch towards the end. They just really needed to lop off the last 15 minutes between Bruce and his father.
Old 01-07-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Daredevil is still the closest Marvel adaption, IMO. Just have to sit thru Bennifer's performance.
Not to nitpick your post here, but you DO know that Bennifer refers to Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, not Garner?

Anyways, liked them both, but Daredevil moreso than Hulk.
Old 01-07-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Not to nitpick your post here, but you DO know that Bennifer refers to Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, not Garner?
I used it cuz I didn't think he was manly enough in that film

Old 01-07-04, 07:26 PM

Not being very familiar with either comic book, I prefered DD over Hulk. For me DD was a pretty standard comic book movie. Hulk's slow pacing wouldn 't have bothered me so much if the ending would have followed suit. It seemed to me that the filmmakers spent a lot of time on plot and character, yet the action at the end remains unexplained to my ignorant self.
Old 01-07-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be curious to see how many people who used to watch the Hulk TV show liked the movie too. Being familiar with both the TV show and the cartoon, I believe, helped me enjoy the movie. I thought it was an interesting mix of the two.

Daredevil on the otherhand, I feel, suffered from trying to bite off too much in the first "episode". For being the intro movie (in that we still needed to meet and get to know the title character), there were too many relationships and they just couldn't develop them all enough to make any of them sufficient. I think that if they had left Bullseye out and focused on Elektra and Kingpin only, the movie would have gone of much better.
Old 01-07-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm also tired of the daredevil bashing, just because Ben Affleck is in the movie, does not mean it automatically sucks. i mean sure, the little matrix inspired playground "fight" was a tad cheesy, but still it is a very good and satisfing movie. I really liked how they fully went into Matt's origin without it going on too long (hulk spent about 40 min on the origin), and the whole sense vision. Also the cgi looked flawless
Old 01-07-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

two things i did like about Daredevil-
1) the disconnect in the character about being a "good guy" yet also having this thrist for vengence that actually throws him on the other side of the line along with all the other criminals.
the scene where the kid is frightend of him and that he obsesses over that later was a nice touch.
2) the relationship between Urich and Daredevil hinted at in the end of the movie
"go get 'em Matt".
i really liked that.

its a shame that the film was so dramatically incompatent, as Talemyn said, it bit off much more than it should have.
i could live with the annoying edits in the fight sequences- and i could even live with the soundtrack that makes the movie frequently seem like a WB teen drama,
but trying to throw in so much good material from the books run is a case of 'more' ending up being much much less.

Last edited by ckolchak; 01-07-04 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My problem with Daredevil was the structure of the film, and it mainly only had 2 acts, not 3, so by the time you get the end, you fill like you didn't get your money's worth. Hopefully the director's cut will flesh out the story better.
Old 01-07-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was 3 acts
act 1 matts origin
act 2 the realationship between elektra and matt
act 3 everything after
Spoiler:
Elektra's father is killed
as you can tell though, i am a little biast for this movie, and will be picking up the dc
Old 01-07-04, 10:53 PM
Banned

I was pretty dissapointed with the ending of DD. Seemed to leave a open to a sequel, and I think too many films are doing that these days just to get bank. On the other hand after reading what people have to say about Hulk, it seems as if i have to be at least semi-intrested in the comics to enjoy the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.