Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with Sony DVP-S560D

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-25-03, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned a Sony DVP-S560D player for several years, and have been completely satisfied, with the exception of one big (and getting bigger) problem. More and more often, I cannot get through an entire movie without the video freezing, skipping or otherwise seizing up. When this first started happening, I thought that maybe it was just the disc (like it was a scratched or dirty disc, or one with compatibility problems). But since it's happening with so many movies now, it has become clear that it's a problem with the player.

It seems to usually happen pretty far into the film, as if maybe the player gets overwhelmed after a couple of hours of playing a disc. But then again, I just put in The Two Towers after not playing any DVDs for over a week, and went straight to the end (the chapter where Sam and Frodo are in Osgiliath). The same problem happened right away (which was the same place where the problem occurred when I watched the disc from the beginning).

Is it just time to buy a new player? Maybe mine is growing obsolete, and can't handle the latest discs..... Any info or recommendations are welcome. Has anyone heard anything about the class action lawsuit in the works against Sony for this and similar DVD players?

http://www.sheller.com/Practice.asp?PracticeID=119

[I did a search on this topic here at DVDTalk.com, but didn't find anything. If this issue has already been addressed, I'd appreciate any links to other threads.]
Old 12-27-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
have you tried cleaning the lens?

This is what I would suggest first.

It sounds like it is happening at the layer change.
Old 12-27-03, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also suggest cleaning the lens first.
Old 12-30-03, 10:21 PM

I can recognize a layer change, and that's not what's happening. The dirty lens thing might be it, though. I am no techie, so I've never done any kind of maintenance to the player. Is there a thread somewhere on this board with basic "care & feeding of DVD players" instructions that might explain how to clean the lens? (I'll check my owner's manual too.)

One other thing I noticed the other night, when the same problem happened near the end of Dreamcatcher and I took out the DVD to watch the last two chapters on my computer: the disc was very warm to the touch. I surmise this is simply due to the fact that it had been in the player for 2 hours, but is there any chance this could cause this problem?

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!
Old 01-04-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have that model too, and while the layer change skip is VERY noticable, I have no other problems.

Maybe its time to upgrade to progressive scan
Old 01-04-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD players die - and what you are describing sounds exactly like the death throws I remember from my old Panasonic A110. I think it may be time to pick up a new player and stick that one in the bathroom or something.
Old 01-06-04, 08:55 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I had the same issue the c:13:00:00

So I tossed it and bought a new progressive DVD Player for 200 dollars.
Old 01-29-04, 07:42 AM

I also had the same thing happen to me. It is now in a land fill somewhere.
Old 01-29-04, 04:29 PM

Same issue, same model - It's dead. Was in the middle of watching BOB disk 3 and just froze completely. Took it out, put it back in, was unable to recognize anything after that. All I hear are clicks now. Pretty pathetic of Sony though cuz I have a crappy Apex that I bought at the same time that still works perfectly and for $200 less that I spent on the Sony.
Old 01-30-04, 08:28 AM
AOD

KingTut,

I've had a Sony 530 for years now in a second room and fortunately it works like new. But I am sure that day will come when it will work no more. Take some advise and get a new player. Even some excellent name brand ones are dirt cheap. Models by Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc can be had for less than a Benjamin these days. Unheard of just a few short years ago (think I paid $350 for my S530). You could get a Toshiba 4900 or a Panasonic S35 and be ten times happier than dealing with problems from your 560. And yes, both can be readily found for under a hundred bucks.