Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to have a paper listing of your collection?

What's the best way to have a paper listing of your collection?

Old 12-12-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 163 Posts
What's the best way to have a papel listing of your collection?

I want to have a bound packet with pages in protective sheets for my DVD collection. I currently have 677 titles. What's the best way to go about this without spending a ton of money? I want to use a DVD Profiler report to have 1 movie per sheet because if I do more, then as I add movies it won't be in order anymore. That also makes it easy to have a separate section with, say, loaned movies and move a sheet there every time someone borrows a movie.

Kinko's charges $0.99 per color copy. Ideas?
Old 12-12-03, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papel listing? Registering DVD's with the Pope or something?

ahhhhh a typo. don't know.
Old 12-12-03, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
A thousand hail Mary's and a few hundred Our Fathers and you're good to go.
Old 12-12-03, 05:45 AM

printer and a few ink cartridges?
Old 12-12-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I direct you to Chapter 11, Verse 1

And Lo the Sacred Anamorphic DVD did strike down those who covet thine foolscreen.....
Old 12-12-03, 06:49 AM
Cool New Member

If you put them in order of purchase, you can get more per page and only have to reprint the last page when you get more movies...
Old 12-12-03, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Edited thread title to cut down on the bad jokes.

(But seriously, "l" isn't anywhere near "r"... wha happen? )
Old 12-12-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Edited thread title to cut down on the bad jokes.

(But seriously, "l" isn't anywhere near "r"... wha happen? )
The l in listing was the nexl letter. I do the same thing on occasion. It's very easy, when typing fast, to skip the lasl letter of a word and double the next. (I took the high road here and didn't make any remark about potential asian pronunciation).
Old 12-12-03, 07:28 AM

I figured she was using the Spanish word for paper.
Old 12-12-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Christian-bashing thread.

oh wait...this isn't Other. Carry on.
Old 12-12-03, 08:47 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What's the best way to have a papel listing of your collection?

Originally posted by GatorDeb
That also makes it easy to have a separate section with, say, loaned movies and move a sheet there every time someone borrows a movie.
Lending library...?
Old 12-12-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an EXCEL spreadsheet list.
Old 12-12-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I want to have a bound packet with pages in protective sheets for my DVD collection. I currently have 677 titles. What's the best way to go about this without spending a ton of money? I want to use a DVD Profiler report to have 1 movie per sheet because if I do more, then as I add movies it won't be in order anymore. That also makes it easy to have a separate section with, say, loaned movies and move a sheet there every time someone borrows a movie.

Since you asked for the best way ... DON"T DO IT!

The whole idea behind DVD Profiler (and others) is to take advantage of the concept of a database. Updates are easy. Ability to indicate loaned copies etc. And if your local computer bites the dust, all is not lost, you can download it again from the server.

If someone wants to browse your collection, you can show them your collection on screen either by DVD Profiler or as a web page (as you already are taking advantage of). Pretty pictures and all.

Why spend all that money on multiple binders, 600+ page sleeves, ink and paper? Not to mention your time and effort ...

If you want a paper list, why not just download it to Excel and print out the list to about 10 b&w text pages?

If you think that your friends need a color picture to help them figure out which DVD to borrow ... don't lend it to them as they are not that bright.

Btw, Really nice collection.

Last edited by ctyankee; 12-12-03 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: What's the best way to have a papel listing of your collection?

Originally posted by MrE
Lending library...?
Sometimes it feels like it When you get almost 700 movies you become the Blockbuster of the family. My sister and family borrow movies all the time. After watching all of "24" in one sitting, my mom told my sister that she HAD to borrow it. When I let my mom know that my sister is not as finicky when it comes to take care of DVDs as me, mom asked why did I offer. I pointed out I DIDN'T offer, SHE did. We compromised by just giving her the inner folding box and my mom promised to replace the $40 if damaged.

Now, The X-Files sets... those are NOT leaving the house. She can come watch them here

Regular DVD movies are hard to mess up, and she only gets 1 set at a time, so if there's damage it'll be minimum and I'll get mom to replace it before reinstating borrowing priviledges (get my sister to replace a box because of a tear? Ha!).

She's not a scratcher but some discs have come back dirty.
Old 12-12-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: What's the best way to have a papel listing of your collection?

Originally posted by ctyankee

Why spend all that money on multiple binders, 600+ page sleeves, ink and paper? Not to mention your time and effort ...

If you want a paper list, why not just download it to Excel and print out the list to about 10 b&w text pages?

If you think that your friends need a color picture to help them figure out which DVD to borrow ... don't lend it to them as they are not that bright.
I don't want it for others, I want it for me I have 5-6 hours of FREE time at work daily and I wanted something that I could take with me to browse through.

I think I figured out a way. I did these 2.2X2 per DVD reports that have title, running time, subtitles, full listing of features, cover, and Easter Eggs. I figured I can print the 68 pages for the almost 700 DVDs and CUT THEM OUT!!! Then I can paste them to notecards and keep them in a file I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before. It cuts it by over a seventh and still lets me easily rearrange titles (by collection (i.e. Criterion), etc) and easily alphabetize new additions.

The reason that I can't do excel is that I like a full list of features and that's easier to do using Reports.
Old 12-12-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I too suggest NOT having a paper listing. Since I loan out discs fairly frequently, I dropped DVD Profiler and use Ant Movie Catalog instead. It just works better for me for keeping loan history (I keep track of who borrowed a title, when they borrowed it, and when they returned it)... I can easily create a summary listing of all the discs a particular person borrowed, and such.

Also, since I do NOT keep my entire collection in a single place... (some are visible in the Living Room, most are stored in a cabinet) I use AMC to generate sub-listings based on "location" so that I can regularly run "inventory".

But I can certainly see the appeal of having a printed "catalog" of films. I will someday do that myself, especially since my collection is pretty stable... maybe one title a month or so.

You can print more than one title per page. You can reduce the number of pages that need to be reprinted if you wait on re-printing until either there is a sufficient number of additions or an even number of additions so that a full new page would be added...which only affects a single newly inserted page but leaves the remainder unaltered. (hard to describe, but easy to visualize )
Old 12-12-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you must do this, buy a laser printer. A toner cartridge ($20-$40) could output 3000-10000 pages, depending on the model.
Old 12-12-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hhhmm..... how about in color?
Old 12-12-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I am going to do something like that, so people don't have to look through all my movies when they come over, but it's almost as bad looking through 600 pages.

So I'll just have them print out in "Collection Number" order, about 30 to a page, to make them easier to look through. Whenever I have another 30, I can just print out the next page (still in collection number order). Saves paper and ink, plus makes the binders more manageable and easier to look through.

I don't really lend them out, so I don't have to worry about tracking that.
Old 12-12-03, 03:35 PM

It seems like some do more organizing than viewing. Just use Blockbuster's system. Give out cards, when Granny borrows a DVD, scan it.
Old 12-12-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And if granny doesnt return it, then get a few guys from the local pub to gently persuade her
Old 12-12-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Ginwen
I am going to do something like that, so people don't have to look through all my movies when they come over
ahhhh...lets weep for the lazy bastards.

I let people look at my library....from a distance. stay behind the white line, please. all this talk of lending is giving me the creeps.
Old 12-13-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have my 250 titles in a binder 1 movie per sheet care of DVD Profilers reports. I printed them in B/W on my laser printer which cost me less than a penny a page.
Old 12-13-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About how much would it cost to get it in color?

Can laser printers be had for $100 now?
Old 12-13-03, 05:39 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

laser printers are around $1000, you are thinking of inkjet printers

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.