Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Serious - My ears are still ringing 20 hours after a concert

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been to about 5 concerts, and none have messed up my ears like this. When I left, my equilibrium was almost so screwed up, a cop stopped me walking to my car. My hear hurts, my ears ache. Is there any cure other than time? Seriously, this sucks.
Old 11-23-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What concert?
Old 11-23-03, 03:49 PM

The only cure is time. Hopefully you don't have tinnitus now.

I hope you'll consider wearing earplugs at future shows you attend. They may not look cool, but they're tiny and much more attractive than expensive hearing aids. I never go to concerts without them.
Old 11-23-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - it's a bummer. Mine rang for almost a week after a "Damn Yankees" concert in the early 1990s.
Old 11-23-03, 04:42 PM

This is why you wear earplugs. You don't miss a thing at all and you don't have to worry about your hearing.
Old 11-23-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I ALWAYS wear earplugs for shows.

Hearing loss can sneak up on you later in life. The worse ringing I've ever had was when I saw Iron Maiden at The Palace here in LA. I was about 10 feet from the speakers they put on the side of the room.

Well, the ringing I got in my ear was so bad I couldn't sleep because it was so loud.
Old 11-23-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go see a doctor, but I don't know what else to tell you. I use Remington ear plugs, they are a bright green and they are awsome! They don't completely snuff the music, but they lower the volume of it and it sounds fine not muffled like regular ear plugs do.

http://gunsrus.net/item.asp?item=RemP30EarPlugs
Old 11-23-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking from experience, DON"T go to any concert WITHOUT hearing protection. I have tinitus which varies in degree in given conditions. The doctor said it was due to my many years of concert attendance and participation. At least I have not experienced any hearing loss yet (other than daddy hearing ). If you value your hearing, protect it, even when mowing the lawn. The 29dB foam plugs are a great help. But if you are near 200dB speakers you're still in potential damage range. The farther away you are from the source of the sound the better.

Last edited by garolo; 11-24-03 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-23-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I have tinitus too. It's not too bad, but I'm sure eventually I'll have more permanent hearing loss.
Old 11-23-03, 09:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't hear you. What did you say?
Old 11-24-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Static it would have been even funnier if you typed it with the cap lock on.
Old 11-24-03, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Re: Serious - My ears are still ringing 20 hours after a concert

Originally posted by tygloalex
I've only been to about 5 concerts, and none have messed up my ears like this.
Just about every single concert I have been to has messed my ears up like that for a couple days. The worst was at the Black Sabbath/Pantera show. I dont think I have ever heard a louder show in my life. My ears rang for like a week, no joke.
Old 11-24-03, 06:50 PM

the loudest show i ever went to was ringo starr and the all starr band[the 1st tour]especially when clarence clemons played the volume seemed to double[at intermission my ears were basically dead until they started playing again]
Old 11-24-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by bigbadpanda
What concert?
Believe it or not, it was a hip-hop concert from a group called Atmosphere.

Thankfully, it's starting to clear up now. If it's real quiet I can feel it still, but otherwise, I'm okay. I'll never make that mistake again.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-25-03, 01:34 AM
Banned

I too, suffer from Tinitus. I'm 30 now and got it when I was 18. It has slightly improved over the years and it isn't too noticeable most of the times unless it is completely silent.

Unlike most folks here, I didn't contract it from a concert(only concert I ever been to was the Concert for The Masses" at the Rosebowl by Depeche Mode), I actually got it from listenig to "It's a mug's game" by Soft Cell turned up really REALLY loud on some studio grade Sony headphones. I love that song so much I kept the trumpet solo part on repeat for nearly an hour!!! Then upon turning of the discman.....RIIIIIIIIING!

I did not know it was O.K. to go to concerts sporting ear plugs. I had avoided going to them because I knew I couldn't take the volume without wearing them, but was assumed I'd get laugh at or ridiculed. Glad to know it's accepted afterall :P
Old 11-25-03, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Mine rang for 3 days after seeing Dream Theater in the front row right next to the speakers. i.e. I could reach out and touch them. What a great show!

I had no idea we would get so close so I hadn't even considered earplugs. I've never used them before.
Old 11-25-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back in 1991 when I saw the Ramones (for which I was right in the front) I had trouble hearing for three days afterward. Since then I've been wearing earplugs at shows.

I also try not to turn up the music too loud in my headphones and in the car. That's another huge factor in hearing loss.

Alot of drug stores carry ear plugs. You should definitely get a pair.
Old 11-25-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I ALWAYS wear earplugs for shows.
Etymotic. nuff said.

if you go to loud shows often, its well worth the money.
Old 11-25-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have Tinnitus too. If that's what it is you may want to use some Ginko Baloba for a while. I have also heard that acupunture works for some. My ringing never stops, but sometimes it's worse than others. I got mine when I got sick one year. Now I'm told it could be continuing because of allergies, so if I can knock out all things I'm allergic to for a while it may eventually go away.
Old 11-25-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had that happen a few times cuz I was in the photo pit. Once at a Scorpions concert it was so loud that I could not hear the music (I was two inches in front of the speaker) but just a whirring noise. odd.

the worst was an AC/DC concert on the "For Those About To Rock" tour. It wasn't the show, but my friend's Ford Granada w/Jensen triax speakers turned up full blast for 1.5 hours on the way. the show actually sounded quiet. My ears rang for SIX days.
Old 11-25-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'll get used to it.

My ears have been ringing for 20 years... Courtesy of playing in rock bands when I was in high school and one too many shows in the front row of some dive in [insert city of your choice here]. Sucks, but life goes on...
Old 11-26-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I never knew a Hilary Duff concert was so loud...seems like good listening...
Old 11-26-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got back from a White Stripes concert tonight and feel like I'm half deaf. Honestly, why do they turn the volume up so loud? It was so loud the sound was all half-distorted sounding. So much bass was pumping out that it totally muddled everything else and you couldn't even understand a word of lyrics.
Old 11-27-03, 10:44 AM

earplugs

i also suffer from tinnitus, being a drummer and going to concerts for many years without protection, i have paid the price. depending on your level of commitment to your hearing and the music you love, you may want to check out westone labs in conjunction with your local audiologist. these are the plugs i use and cannot recommend them enough for people who want to hear the music without completely muffling it. while the cost can be a shock at first, keep in mind that most of that cost is getting the molds made, which you could theoretically never have to replace. for the budget conscience these work wonders.

i don't mean to sound like a salesman, i just believe in protecting your hearing and like to offer the info to those who could benefit from it as i have.
Old 11-27-03, 03:48 PM
Banned

Suggested Retail Price: $800.00 a pair

=====================

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.