Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kylie Minogue - Body Language: any good?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-20-03, 11:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to admit I really enjoyed "Fever"

"more, more, more How do you like it?"

anyway, the latest Q magazine gave it good review, yet I would like to what other fans of hers think of the new album, before I plunk down my money on the import, since there hasn't been any announcement if it will appear stateside. (or is it?)
Old 11-20-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think it's due in the states in February. . .
Old 11-20-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Fever' went platinum in the US, so 'Body Language' should almost definitely come out here at some point. 'Fever' also had a delay here from its UK debut. I think it was around 3 months or so.
Old 11-21-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Uncut gave it one star and talked about how easily her new album could be gotten out of their heads. So I'm guessing it's not too great by that.
Old 11-22-03, 10:44 AM

I didn't like what I heard of Fever, but Kylie is always someone who is reinventing herself, and so I think it's probably a `Kylie' thing. You like Kylie, then you'll always like her new stuff because it dares to be different.
Old 11-22-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I was in Ireland two weeks ago, Kylie was EVERYWHERE! Her song "Slow" I must have heard about 20 times while I was there in pubs and such. I must admit I really like the song, and I usually hate top 40 music to boot!
Old 11-25-03, 03:00 AM
Banned

The new single "Slow" is very interesting. It's on the US radio on dance stations, you might have heard it. If it's any indication, the record will sound similar to Fever, although the success will be difficult to replicate likely.

If you can't wait till February, check out Britney Spears's new album. Believe it or not, it sounds very much like Kylie Minogue, namely because she used several of the same producers. Tracks like "Breathe on Me" come to mind, very trance/dance vibe.
Old 02-10-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked this up - pretty good. I'm on my 2nd run through right now. "Secret" is pumping through my PC as I type.

Many of the songs have great beats, and should sound great thundering from my home stereo speakers.

If you like Kylie, then this one is a no-brainer - pick it up!

Plus - damn she's hot! (IMHO)
Old 02-10-04, 05:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love Fever, and Slow is a great kick-off single, but sadly, Body Language doesn't match Fever in quality or sound. It all sounds vaguely R&B-ish (and the songs have titles to match, "Red Blooded Woman", etc.). I would say most of the rest of the album is listenable but forgettable, and one or two tracks aren't even worth hearing more than once. And when I heard Slow I thought this album might be as adventerous as Impossible Princess. Maybe next time.
Old 02-11-04, 02:14 AM
Banned

I agree, Body Language can't touch fever, but it's a decent album. It's a tough album to follow...most of the music on this album is pretty generic and forgettable, with the exception of slow and maybe one other track or two...I'd say disappointed is to harsh a word, but not overly impressed is more like it.
Old 02-11-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Loved her in Street Fighter!
Old 02-11-04, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by UKingdom
I agree, Body Language can't touch fever, but it's a decent album. It's a tough album to follow...most of the music on this album is pretty generic and forgettable, with the exception of slow and maybe one other track or two...I'd say disappointed is to harsh a word, but not overly impressed is more like it.
I think disappointed is appropriate. She was on a pretty good streak with the self-titled, Impossible Princess, Light Years, and Fever. Light Years had its filler, but at least it sounded interesting (Koocachoo, anyone?).

Body Language feels like a cash-in album. As engineered for success as Light Years and Fever were, they never felt contrived. Body Language is her first album in a long time to feel calculated.

Interestingly, here's allmusic's glowing (four and a half out of five stars) review:

If Light Years was the comeback, and Fever the confirmation, then Body Language can best be described as Kylie's "big step forward." Sure it's still simple dance-pop, but this time she (and a team of producers and writers — including Kurtis Mantronik — it must be said) has put together an album that works as a piece. It's stylish without being smarmy, retro without being ironic, and its energy never gets annoying. In other words: a near perfect pop record. Instead of opting for more of the light dance- and disco-pop of the last two releases, Kylie has sought to expand her horizons. Adding elements of electroclash, '80s synth pop, bouncy club beats — even a dash of Eminem-style raps! — she's found the formula that not only makes her vocal shortcomings irrelevant but gives her the edge on the rest of the divas on their newfound quest: maturity. While Madonna, Xtina, and Britney have attempted to achieve maturity through trashiness and not really all that shocking behavior (i.e., that MTV Awards kiss), Kylie maintained a low profile, retained a sense of class, and put together what may well be the best album of her career. Simply, Body Language is what happens when a dance-pop diva takes the high road and focuses on what's important instead of trying to shock herself into continued relevance.
I must admit that the more I listen to it, the more interesting I find it, but even so, it's not performing as well as expected in the UK and I think it may also sell less than expected in the U.S.
Old 02-13-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just saw her on Letterman moments ago. Her song sounded good although I don't think I'll be buying it.
Old 02-14-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw her on Letterman too. So unimpressive but I'm not a fan either.