Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings fans, will we ever see this??

Old 11-18-03, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing these pictures below a long time ago which show
Spoiler:
Andy Serkis as Smeagol in a boat fishing with Deagol on the river Anduin. Which leads me to believe they filmed his origin and how he became Gollum.
Do you think this will be shown in ROTK or maybe the ROTK: Extended Edition?? It doesn't seem likely, but you never know.

Click here

Click here

This site here..... http://fan.theonering.net/middleearthtours/gollum.html says that the image is from a Cannes film booklet.

What's the deal? Anyone heard about this?
Old 11-18-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It'll be in ROTK. If you watch the extra's on the TTT they talk about Andy Serkis being made up for the Smeagol and they even show abit of it. And they directly say it is footage for ROTK.
Old 11-18-03, 11:39 PM

Really? Damn, I didn't expect that. I haven't watched the extras discs yet. Now I want to even more to see/hear about this!!
Old 11-18-03, 11:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I had read that the scene was originally supposed to be in Two Towers, but that Jackson ultimately decided to move into Return of the King's storyline.
Old 11-19-03, 12:56 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are also hoping that this will allow Sirkis to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor. He wasn't eligable for it in TTT since he wasn't physically onscreen.
Old 11-19-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Andy Serkis was most definitely eligible for a Best Supporting Actor nomination last year, and New Line actively campaigned on his behalf. He just failed to make the final cut, probably due to the "CGI character" generalization applied to his performance by those who didn't know better.
Old 11-19-03, 07:49 AM

It really is a shame that due to the "CGI character" generalization that Andy did not get nominated. He done a great job bringing Gollum to life - and if you watch the TTT extra's, you really see how much he put into the character. Not to mention, him, PJ and the crew really did make film history, as they had intended to do.
Old 11-19-03, 08:11 AM

It was originally shot for the Two Towers. Right after the "Frodo calls Gollum Smeagol" scene they were going to cut to the flashback, but PJ felt it slowed down the pace and it was premature as the audience didn't really know Gollum that well, so they cut it.
Old 11-19-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, finally some info on this scene! I have been swearing that I've seen this for MONTHS! (years?), and I was convinced that I saw it in one of the teaser trailers/online/somewhere. Few people here and none of my friencs knew what the heck I was talking about. I'm glad someone else remembers seeing a scene like this b/c personally I look for it EVERY SINGLE TIME I watch Fellowship b/c I've always thought that it needed to be at teh beginning when talking about the origin of the ring and how Bilbo got it.
Old 11-19-03, 03:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by reubs82
Okay, finally some info on this scene! I have been swearing that I've seen this for MONTHS! (years?), and I was convinced that I saw it in one of the teaser trailers/online/somewhere. Few people here and none of my friencs knew what the heck I was talking about. I'm glad someone else remembers seeing a scene like this b/c personally I look for it EVERY SINGLE TIME I watch Fellowship b/c I've always thought that it needed to be at teh beginning when talking about the origin of the ring and how Bilbo got it.
No no noooo. We shouldn't know that much about Gollum until later. During FOTR, we are threatened by him. In TT, we get to know him and even pity him. That's when we should see that scene. Even though Gandalf describes it, seeing it is much more powerful and they were right to save it.
Old 11-19-03, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by MoviePage
Andy Serkis was most definitely eligible for a Best Supporting Actor nomination last year, and New Line actively campaigned on his behalf. He just failed to make the final cut, probably due to the "CGI character" generalization applied to his performance by those who didn't know better.
Actually that's not true. New Line did campaign for it until the academy told them he wasn't eligible, as they didn't distinguish between his performance and that of a voice over (which aren't eligible) since he is never physically on screen.

Right or wrong, that's the way it was.
Old 11-20-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually that's not true. New Line did campaign for it until the academy told them he wasn't eligible, as they didn't distinguish between his performance and that of a voice over (which aren't eligible) since he is never physically on screen.
No, I'm afraid not. Many Oscar pundits were still predicting Serkis to be nominated up until the last minute. The Academy did not dictate that Serkis wasn't eligible. In fact, the Academy has no rule saying that voiceover actors can't be nominated. Robin Williams was widely expected to receive a Supporting Actor nomination for his performance as Genie in Aladdin, and many were surprised when he wasn't nominated. Trust me on this.